NHL entry draft

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It's not just a Predators issue when it comes to drafting Russian born players. It is a league wide issue. Of four Russians selected in the first two rounds in 2016, three are playing in the KHL right now. The fourth is playing in the Eastern Conf Finals.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
KHL is home territory for Russians. If the moneys’s right, they’ll stay there. They only come here for US money and then leave. Bye! And bye Trenin if that’s what you want.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
so broad street hockey made a chart on how much it would cost to move up in the draft and if the Preds wanted to go from #11 to #4 it would cost #11, both 2's and the first #3.

What does it cost to trade up in the draft?

And just for giggles, yes Ottawa could trade #3 and #5 for #1, and Ottawa should ask for a 2nd
That’s a hefty price. Who would we pick if we moved up to 4th? Drysdale or Rossi?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I would still rather have a forward, tbh.

Sanderson reads a little like Dante Fabbro to me. I didn't follow the juniors this year, so I am just throwing that out there and people who watch for reals can laugh at that if they want, and I take no offense because I am armchairing all the way on that and I know it. But he's smooth, efficient, precise. Good skating and outlets, not big or physical. Not small either. But not a truly dominant rushing d-man either. He's going to be good. Just like Fabbro is. But I question if that is really the impact we need, given our current roster and prospect portfolio --- even our projected roster 3 years from now, say, when maybe he would actually challenge to make the team.

I want the best offensive forward possible. The biggest home-run swing we can take at an offensive dynamo. For me so far that is Seth Jarvis. But I just think we need the forward more. And not just today, but 3 years from now when all these guys actually play. (Normally I say "5 years from now" but at #11 I feel like I can trim that down to 3!)

Who do you want? Another Dante Fabbro on the left side? Good, yes. But I hope we still have Davies and Farrance coming too. Or Brayden Point?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I like Sanderson, I've seen comparisons to Suter and most people are saying he'll be gone by 11, so I'd be pretty happy if he fell into our laps, but Porter is right in that we should swing for the fences on the highest offensive player available.

Our pick is the highest we've drafted in 6 years and we've got two high 2nds that can be used to find defensemen. Our prospect pool needs to be stocked either way so as long as we don't go off the board I'll be happy.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would add that I like some D with our 2nd rounders. If for any reason Wallinder or O'Rourke happened to still be on the table... ok, maybe wishful thinking... but if we went F at #11 and then D at #37/42... even Kleven... we could probably still get a good D prospect later on... :dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I would still rather have a forward, tbh.

Sanderson reads a little like Dante Fabbro to me. I didn't follow the juniors this year, so I am just throwing that out there and people who watch for reals can laugh at that if they want, and I take no offense because I am armchairing all the way on that and I know it. But he's smooth, efficient, precise. Good skating and outlets, not big or physical. Not small either. But not a truly dominant rushing d-man either. He's going to be good. Just like Fabbro is. But I question if that is really the impact we need, given our current roster and prospect portfolio --- even our projected roster 3 years from now, say, when maybe he would actually challenge to make the team.

I want the best offensive forward possible. The biggest home-run swing we can take at an offensive dynamo. For me so far that is Seth Jarvis. But I just think we need the forward more. And not just today, but 3 years from now when all these guys actually play. (Normally I say "5 years from now" but at #11 I feel like I can trim that down to 3!)

Who do you want? Another Dante Fabbro on the left side? Good, yes. But I hope we still have Davies and Farrance coming too. Or Brayden Point?

There is this guy named Trenin. Of course, he was ignored his first year in Milwaukee. Eventually, he went to Nashville and played 21 games, where he scored a few goals and staggered the biggest player in the league, followed by playing no games in a disastrous post season that lasted an entire FOUR games.

What player wouldn't want to stay with a team like that?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
A question, draft comes around and it gets to #11. Askerov is still on the board. Flames call offering Gaudreau. What is your reply.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Under normal conditions I'd probably really think about doing that. But with the expansion draft we'd essentially be trading #11 and a significant roster player (Ekholm or Arvidsson) for that deal.

I'd second think it too.

One thing is if ownership spends. I hate the defense depth. After Fabbro, enh.....In the year Poile drafted Weber, Suter, Sulzer, and Klein, He was quoted as saying, 'We really needed defensemen.' I hope he does the same thing this year.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
A question, draft comes around and it gets to #11. Askerov is still on the board. Flames call offering Gaudreau. What is your reply.

You take that deal. Magic beans vs a known quantity (all-star quality).

You product
Johnny Hockey
Joey
Duchene
Josi
Forsberg
Ekholm
Ellis
Arvidsson

From what I rmeember you get 8 skaters and a goalie.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My first reply is: who ELSE is still on the board. Askarov isn't the player who matters most to me. If there's another player I comfortably project as a top-6 scoring forward available, then I want to pick that player at #11.

Johnny Gaudrean has 2 seasons left on his contract and one of them could be disrupted again due to the pandemic. He is tiny. Coming off a bad season and unimpressive playoff. Plus if you take him onto the team, you are now changing your expansion draft plans... probably therefore losing Fabbro as well. So you're really giving up the 11th and Fabbro for 2 seasons of Gaudreau.

I want to get 10+ seasons out of that #11 pick and another 10+ out of Fabbro, ideally. I'm not giving that up for 2 seasons of Gaudreau.

EDIT: And I want to go even further against this trade idea. If you try to shoe-horn another $6.75M onto this roster, then you can't make any more additions to the team at all. We'd have to run a short roster as it is to fit that, and we could do nothing else to improve the team. This is a trade you only make if you are "going for it". But to me, if I was "going for it", I think we could improve our team more by using that same cap space to sign a couple solid defensemen and get some more grit. Gaudreau is flashy. But our team can become stronger by addressing other less flashy areas first.

Pass.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
FWIW I also don't imagine the Flames wanting to trade Gaudreau just for futures. They are a team that wants to a take a "next step" into contention. So if they are going to trade Gaudreau, they want immediate impact coming back.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Last thing we need is another soft small forward that disappears in the playoffs.

It is a push on making us younger, and its definitely not cheaper, and as mentioned it's a double edged sword in the expansion draft.

The big key in all of this too, no one knows what the owners have told Poile to do either. They may not be hacking the team down, but I'm betting they are unwilling to spend anymore than they need too. Not only do they have the NHL to worry about, but who knows what the Mayor is going to pull as well.

Last edited:

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Eh, it's tempting because of the name. But I don't think Gaudreau is at all what the Preds need so I'll keep the pick.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Less than 8 days and I can't stop on armchair GM on capfriendly

JOFA
Taylor Hall-Duchene-Tomasino
1st rd pick-Turris-Grimaldi
Tolvanen-Sissons-Jarnkrok
Blackwell-Trenin

I call it the 'Nashville Predators Day Care Center'

Traded Bonino because Preds can't trade Turris. Traded Watson because he's over priced. Signed Hall for a rich 1 yr deal,

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
FWIW I also don't imagine the Flames wanting to trade Gaudreau just for futures. They are a team that wants to a take a "next step" into contention. So if they are going to trade Gaudreau, they want immediate impact coming back.
Consensus seems to be the either want an impact center back or the cap space to sign Hall. If the latter then they may be looking more futures-oriented, but I'd expect they'd want more than #11 coming back, probably a top or very good prospect or young player at the least. I'm highly skeptical they're going to look to move him so they can draft a goalie prospect that's not likely to pan out for a couple of years, but <shrug>.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Eh, it's tempting because of the name. But I don't think Gaudreau is at all what the Preds need so I'll keep the pick.
On the one hand, even if you factor in the Nashville production tax, the guy is a year removed from scoring 99 points (at least mid-high 70s if he's a Pred), with 84 the year prior. On the other, we may already be seeing the toll that being a smaller player in a physical league is taking on a guy like Arvy in terms of injuries, and I think having similar concerns about Gaudreau going forward is entirely reasonable. Still, depending on the price, I think you have to listen if they call.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Less than 8 days and I can't stop on armchair GM on capfriendly

JOFA
Taylor Hall-Duchene-Tomasino
1st rd pick-Turris-Grimaldi
Tolvanen-Sissons-Jarnkrok
Blackwell-Trenin

I call it the 'Nashville Predators Day Care Center'

Traded Bonino because Preds can't trade Turris. Traded Watson because he's over priced. Signed Hall for a rich 1 yr deal,
Well we won't be signing Hall so find someone for that slot.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad