NHL entry draft

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
and very much possible. Ottawa can walk away with a top center, top defenseman, and if they make a deal, top goalie. NJ desperately needs a goalie.

NJ doesn't really need a goalie they have Blackwood, who's gonna be a top-10 goalie in this league in a couple of years.

I'd rather take someone at the 11th pick who's more likely going to be legit than to take flyers on second rounders. We already have two 2nds, I think that's pretty good considering they're both in the top-42.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
A small part of me makes me think Poile is going to look at Sanderson harder than a lot. With forwards in the system with solid potential already like Tolvanen, Afanasyev, Toma, etc. but outside of Farrance we do not have a blue chip prospect on defense. Farrance may not even sign so who knows where that goes.

Most likely pick for us I think is
1. Quinn
2. Sanderson
3. Lundell

Reactions: Scoresberg

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
A small part of me makes me think Poile is going to look at Sanderson harder than a lot. With forwards in the system with solid potential already like Tolvanen, Afanasyev, Toma, etc. but outside of Farrance we do not have a blue chip prospect on defense. Farrance may not even sign so who knows where that goes.

Most likely pick for us I think is
1. Quinn
2. Sanderson
3. Lundell

Wouldn't mind that, if we go that route it would remind me of when we picked Suter, from clips and descriptions I've seen Sanderson is really great defensively with offensive upside. Once he puts on some more weight he could be really solid. Could be a nice sleeper pick, 2nd rated defenseman but could fall to us depending on how the forwards and Askarov play out.

BPA is always the a great option, but part of me just wants to keep drafting high offense players until we hit on one that isn't completely inept in the NHL.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I been looking at defenseman we could pick in the 2nd round if we draft a forward with the 11th and Helge Grans or Hunt would be a nice pick. big 2 way Guys that would bring the Physicality we been lacking

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I been looking at defenseman we could pick in the 2nd round if we draft a forward with the 11th and Helge Grans or Hunt would be a nice pick. big 2 way Guys that would bring the Physicality we been lacking

haven't actually seen him play, but from what I've read and heard I really like Ryan O'Rourke and would be quite happy if we got him with one of our 2nd rounders. Same could be said of Joni Jurmo and William Wallinder.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
haven't actually seen him play, but from what I've read and heard I really like Ryan O'Rourke and would be quite happy if we got him with one of our 2nd rounders. Same could be said of Joni Jurmo and William Wallinder.
Wallinder was another guy I was looking at. Well have some options in the 2nd to load up on our defensive prospect if we wanna go that route

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I like the idea of getting offensive talent with out first and using our 2nds to try and find some defensemen. I like our chances at finding undervalued defenseman in the 2nd round over finding forwards there given our draft history.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah I like the idea of getting offensive talent with out first and using our 2nds to try and find some defensemen. I like our chances at finding undervalued defenseman in the 2nd round over finding forwards there given our draft history.
This is the logical thing for the team to do. But we still have Draft the Best Player Available Poile at the reins. I go back to the 2013 draft I wanted him to make that trade with Calgary and move down a spot let them draft Jones and us get Sean Monahan. Calgary offered the 5th plus a 2nd rounder to move up and get Jones. Poile has always been able to draft defensemen in the 2nd and 3rd it was a huge mistake. This would have changed this entire team. There would be no Johansen or Duchene while I still think he would have went after Turris for the 2C.

Honestly at 11 the pick will not have any impact for a couple years and do not be surprised if he picks a goalie in 3rd and maybe again in the 6th.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If he's the BPA when we pick I'm all for it. Best case scenario he lives up to his hype and we quickly replace Rinne while having leverage to deal Saros or Ingram, worst case we have a few years of goodwill due to his hype where his value will still be pretty high before the jury is out if he doesn't work out for us.

You also have to remember that he's probably not going to be playing for us for at least 2-3 years.

I think my preference, assuming they are available, would be: 1. Quinn 2. Sanderson 3. Askarov.

I think we'll come away with a very good talent at 11, a pretty perfect spot to be in.

Reactions: maplepred

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I am seeing a lot of speculation (from non-Preds fans/media) that we very well might take Askarov with our pick. I don't know, I think Saros/Ingram is good enough for the near future.

They might be good enough for the near future, but Askarov would be more of a long term option, like 4-6 years down the line. Look at Sorokin and Shestyorkin. Both drafted in 2014 and in Sorokin's case he's just now getting into the NHL.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
If he's the BPA when we pick I'm all for it. Best case scenario he lives up to his hype and we quickly replace Rinne while having leverage to deal Saros or Ingram, worst case we have a few years of goodwill due to his hype where his value will still be pretty high before the jury is out if he doesn't work out for us.

You also have to remember that he's probably not going to be playing for us for at least 2-3 years.

I think my preference, assuming they are available, would be: 1. Quinn 2. Sanderson 3. Askarov.

I think we'll come away with a very good talent at 11, a pretty perfect spot to be in.

The worst case scenario is he busts like Chet Pickard or Brian Finley, leaving us with nothing.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
They might be good enough for the near future, but Askarov would be more of a long term option, like 4-6 years down the line. Look at Sorokin and Shestyorkin. Both drafted in 2014 and in Sorokin's case he's just now getting into the NHL.

Maybe you're right. But both of those guys you mentioned are the standard taken-in-later rounds types, and I just am very unsure Askarov is worth giving up a chance to draft a roster player when goalies come out of late rounds all the time.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The worst case scenario is he busts like Chet Pickard or Brian Finley, leaving us with nothing.

Were either as hyped as Askarov though? I remember Pickard being considered the best goalie of the draft by some, and in contention with Markstrom and McCollum by others, and I can't recall Finley's hype but it was an insanely weak draft.

I've seen Askarov compared to Price, Vasilevski and Knight and among the most hyped from the last decade.

Even if he does bust or he stays in Russia I think there will be a period where his name and draft position will still hold enough weight to be worth it.

Still, we have Saros and Ingram and can afford to take a goalie in the later rounds, but I've been growing on picking him lately.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

Exactly this, take a skater with a better chance of becoming something. Even if it's an Upshall, Wilson or Watson, at least you have an asset.

Worst case in goaltending is neither Saros or Ingram can hack it and you sign a veteran stop-gap. If the Preds team defense can be fixed, having an all-star level goaltender isn't as much of a necessity.

Ultimately I think the forward names being mentioned at our spot are certainly going to bring good value for us in a couple of years and I'd rather go with that "sure thing" *knock on wood*

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
you sign a veteran stop-gap.

Yeah who knows if the trend continues but as of now it appears to me that good goalies are becoming much more abundant in the league. I know these playoffs are a bit weird but there are a whole lot of goalies I wouldn't consider stars that are putting up good/great performances.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Exactly this, take a skater with a better chance of becoming something. Even if it's an Upshall, Wilson or Watson, at least you have an asset.

Worst case in goaltending is neither Saros or Ingram can hack it and you sign a veteran stop-gap. If the Preds team defense can be fixed, having an all-star level goaltender isn't as much of a necessity.

Ultimately I think the forward names being mentioned at our spot are certainly going to bring good value for us in a couple of years and I'd rather go with that "sure thing" *knock on wood*

Completely agreed. Askarov might be the next star goalie but when you look at teams who are succeeding right now, many of them don't have an elite goalie and it seems like you don't even need one to succeed these days.

You can with a lesser goalie as long as your team plays structured defense in front of them which is why the goalie position is not a place to place your dollars these days. Best solution is probably go with 1A/1B combo, where you don't tire your goalie during the season. The competition certainly helps as well.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Please no goalie in the 1st round!
The "Where Do You Think Askarov Will Land" thread, on page 9, has a great breakdown of goalies picked in the 1st round. Obviously he may be an exceptional player and become the next Price, Dryden, whatever, but odds are that he won't develop into anything significantly better than what we already have. Please pick best skater available, preferably a forward.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think where we're picking and where he's ranked, you have to do your due diligence and look at him honestly and objectively as one of the top 5 or 8 candidates for our pick anyway. A scouting staff looks at everybody. But then at least, speaking for myself, particularly if I have a higher pick, I would always zoom in really closely on a handful of top candidates like that and give them an extra thorough look. So Askarov belongs in that shortlisted group and should get some additional scrutiny.

I don't know what would come from that scrutiny... you can't until you actually do it. Maybe there is something "special" about him that would stand out to you. I don't think there is any relevance whatsoever to consider what happened with Finley or Pickard especially, nor even necessarily all that much relevance with more contemporary goalie picks made by other teams. You look at him based on his own individual traits and your projection of him, and only that.

But ok, we as fans can't really do any of that. So in the end, we're going to say pick somebody else who is a little easier to project from our armchairs. And that's fine. I want to see us get the best offensive scoring prospect available to us. So my armchair pick today would be a different player than Askarov. But I like having his name in the shortlist to talk about.

Reactions: Armourboy

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Am I the only one who is afraid to draft not only a goalie, but a Russian with 11th overall?

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
If Trenin goes to the KHL our record with Russians will continue to the terrible, lol. I dunno if Radulov/Kostitsyns is what caused it, but it's been pretty bad.

Since Sergei Kostitsyn left in 2013, a total of 4 Russians have played for the Preds. Volchenkov played 46 games in 2014-2015 before going to the KHL, Emelin played all of 2017-2018 before going to the KHL, Kamenev got 2 games in 2017 before we traded him to Colorado, and then there's Trenin, who appears to be on the verge of going to the KHL.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If Trenin goes to the KHL our record with Russians will continue to the terrible, lol. I dunno if Radulov/Kostitsyns is what caused it, but it's been pretty bad.

Since Sergei Kostitsyn left in 2013, a total of 4 Russians have played for the Preds. Volchenkov played 46 games in 2014-2015 before going to the KHL, Emelin played all of 2017-2018 before going to the KHL, Kamenev got 2 games in 2017 before we traded him to Colorado, and then there's Trenin, who appears to be on the verge of going to the KHL.

Let’s not draft a Russian lol

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Let’s not draft a Russian lol
I mean, if Poile is not ever going to be able to factor in the very real-world consideration of the KHL leverage they possess, then there's basically no point. It's just not realistic to treat Trenin the same as Gaudreau. Gaudreau wasn't going to go to St.Petersburg for 90 million rubles at any point. Trenin has that option. And basically any Russian we would ever pick equally has that option. Now, they might like to make more money as career NHLers one day... but... if after 3 years of riding a bus to Rockford or Grand Rapids for $70,000 before taxes, playing that 4th year instead in St.Petersburg for 90 million rubles is going to look really attractive. If our organization can't perceive that attraction or doesn't want to allow the flexibility to factor that in, then indeed, we shouldn't ever bother drafting a Russian.

Reactions: adsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->