Confirmed with Link: NHL Entry Draft heading back to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
When they said Montreal was going to host a draft again I really thought earliest 2021 maybe 2022. Didn't think next year. No one wanted to step up and hold it?

Glad it's back in Montreal.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Last one was Ribeiro , but he made it after that Gairney guy have traded him for a super star d-man :laugh:

Oh but how HF posters absolutely HATED Ribeiro. Most at the time called it addition by subtraction.

It has taken more than twelve years for the Habs to finally recover some depth at center. It was probably the worst trade the team made in that decade.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It'd be kind of cool to pick an elite player. We haven't drafted a guy who's cracked 80 pts for our team in a long time.. it's actually pathetic.
For sure, Id like the BPA at every opportunity, I just feel it would be cool. As a French-Canadian guy I really root for Q players. Now go ahead and sue me. :P Its certainly not any worse than the Coyotes claiming Matthews as their heir. :sarcasm:

Reactions: S Bah

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Exactly.

And not only that, but the fact that half the people there will boo if selected kid isn't from here or put on that Quebec kid all the pressure of the world on his shoulders.

Unless fans somehow evolved and suddenly don't care where the player comes from, then it'll be alright.

Again, this is an absolutely ridiculous comment. The main reason why a Québec kid would legitimately have presssure is the fact that the Habs have picked so few of them. When is the last time the team ACTUALLY reached to pick a Québécois in the first round?

You probably weren't alive back then.

Fun fact: The Habs have picked TWO Québécois in the first round over the last 30 years. Over that time they picked 10 from the WHL and 7 or 8 from the US.

Those WHL kids: Vallis, Stevenson, Bilodeau, Wilkie, Brown, Ryan, Higgins (not the good one), Chipchura, Price, Scherbak and Juulsen. 1 star, 8 busts and one who still has potential. Excluding Juulsen those are 8 wasted first rounders. Can we just be amazed at how bad this is?

But yeah you guys should really concentrate on how bloody AWFUL it would be for the Habs to pick a kid from Québec...

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Again, this is an absolutely ridiculous comment. The main reason why a Québec kid would legitimately have presssure is the fact that the Habs have picked so few of them. When is the last time the team ACTUALLY reached to pick a Québécois in the first round?

You probably weren't alive back then.

Fun fact: The Habs have picked TWO Québécois in the first round over the last 30 years. Over that time they picked 10 from the WHL and 7 or 8 from the US.

Those WHL kids: Vallis, Stevenson, Bilodeau, Wilkie, Brown, Ryan, Higgins (not the good one), Chipchura, Price, Scherbak and Juulsen. 1 star, 8 busts and one who still has potential. Excluding Juulsen those are 8 wasted first rounders. Can we just be amazed at how bad this is?

But yeah you guys should really concentrate on how bloody AWFUL it would be for the Habs to pick a kid from Québec...
The difference from a logical point-of-view is our WHL picks are the result of poor scouting and developing. The QMJHL simply doesn't have players worthy of first round picks.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
The difference from a logical point-of-view is our WHL picks are the result of poor scouting and developing. The QMJHL simply doesn't have players worthy of first round picks.

So Vallis, Stevenson, Bilodeau, Wilkie, Ryan, M. Higgins, Chipchura, and Scherbak were badly scouted but worthy first rounders? That's some logic you got there.

Just for fun let's look at the next Québec player picked after those WHL (including Price and Juulsen) players to compare.

1989: Patrice Brisebois
1990: Martin Brodeur
1991: René Corbet
1992: Paul Brousseau
1995: JS Giguère
1996: Mathieu Descoteaux (just missed on Daniel Brière)
2004: Nick Fugere
2005: Luc Bourdon
2014: Nicolas Aube-Kubel
2015: Anthony Beauvillier

Obviously some of these would have been massive reaches as first rounders... but I like what's behind door no.2.

Brisebois, Brodeur, Giguère, Bourdon, Beauvillier > Price, Juulsen and crap.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Look at the sum of WHL players picked vs QMJHL. The fact that you need to go to 1990 to find an elite Quebecois player is telling using your limited criteria.

2015 was the best draft for the Q in a decade and it still is weaker than the WHL.
Provorov, DeBrusk, Barzal, Juulsen and Merkley vs Meier, Zboril, Chabot, Beauvillier, and Roy.

If you take out import players it's even more stacked against the Q. There isn't a single elite top 5 at their position "Quebecois" player in the league save Bergeron who I would argue isn't close to the top 5 of centers anymore. Chabot and Huberdeau are the only two that even have the potential.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Don't pick the kid because he is local and French. They did that with Louis LB and failed. Pick the kid because you think he is going to be a legit top 6. From what I have seen, he looks like a floater waiting to get the puck and snipe.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Look at the sum of WHL players picked vs QMJHL. The fact that you need to go to 1990 to find an elite Quebecois player is telling using your limited criteria.

2015 was the best draft for the Q in a decade and it still is weaker than the WHL.
Provorov, DeBrusk, Barzal, Juulsen and Merkley vs Meier, Zboril, Chabot, Beauvillier, and Roy.

If you take out import players it's even more stacked against the Q. There isn't a single elite top 5 at their position "Quebecois" player in the league save Bergeron who I would argue isn't close to the top 5 of centers anymore. Chabot and Huberdeau are the only two that even have the potential.

Would be good to see stats of how many kids opted for NCAA vs QMJHL and got drafted.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
When they said Montreal was going to host a draft again I really thought earliest 2021 maybe 2022. Didn't think next year. No one wanted to step up and hold it?

Glad it's back in Montreal.

I’m betting it has a lot to do with a Québécois kid more than likely going 1st overall. That hasn’t happened since 2003 with Fleury.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Last one was Ribeiro , but he made it after that Gainey guy have traded him for a super star d-man :laugh:
Not even mad. Niinimaa gave us this masterpiece;
BJGIQ.jpg

So in retrospective I think we won this trade.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Any recommendations on the best hotels near the Bell Centre?

There’s lots around there but don’t feel the need to have to stay close to the Bell Centre. Just check the Montreal metro map and get anything close to the Orange line. That’ll give you easy access to the BC.

Reactions: beaverjc

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Sup with all the "We need to get the first overall pick story?"

We will host the draft, draft where we end up drafting and move on...

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
imagine Habs get first overall..instant cap trouble...

2019 1st over in 2022 is needing a 13.,5 -15 million a year payday
then we add this to Jesperi K (3rd overall)upcomin pay day in 2021...look out

Tanking in todays NHL causes you troubles

Meh, we currently have an abundance of cap that is dedicated to expendable players.

We would make it work.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This is not much of a "scoop", but I just found out my sister has been in contact with the NHL and individual teams for over two weeks now to arrange for lodging in Montreal for the 2020 draft. She only told me today, because she was told to keep it a secret until public announcement.

FWIW, she said VGK representatives were the most pleasurable to deal with. She also mentioned some team employees were complete arseholes. :laugh:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
This draft is in Montreal.
The 2019 draft has not begun (today), but its time to talk about 2020.
Like if there is some insiders who's or who're familiar on going to the draft live on a NHL arena... Talk to me about it... I'm a newbie on this stuff... How it mostly works... This type of thread could be the place to discuss off it...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
For sure, Id like the BPA at every opportunity, I just feel it would be cool. As a French-Canadian guy I really root for Q players. Now go ahead and sue me. :P Its certainly not any worse than the Coyotes claiming Matthews as their heir. :sarcasm:

With the talent base the Leafs have it's entirely possible Matthews could become a Coyote in the near future, due to salary cap restrictions. All Habs fans can imagine the uproar throughout Quebec if the Habs somehow got to draft Lafreniere in Montreal, absolutely exquisite for our fans worldwide IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:With the talent in our pipeline it's entirely possible for the Habs to trade for the Francophone star depending upon whom holds that pick, IMHO. Brian Burke's wheeling and dealing to acquire the Sedin twins for Vancouver comes to mind, deals like these are great for the NHL and their fans believe Dat!!!...One needs to look no further than the NBA and the big name stars moving to their hometown's to see it's possible, money doesn't always win out as Toronto fans can attest to this year. Great to win the NBA title no matter what occurs after IMHO!!!...

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->