Confirmed with Link: NHL Entry Draft heading back to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Habs should invite former Hab Mike Busto to the draft...

Jun 30, 2009 - Montreal also sent the Rangers 2007 first-round draft pick Ryan ... Janik to New York while the Rangers gave up Tom Pyatt and Mike Busto.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
With this announcement, the potential of taking a run at the top French Canadian prospect since Lecavalier, our roster and cap situation & the current NHL landscape, I'd be all for MB & co. focusing the next 3-4 weeks on acquiring as many 2020 1st rounders as possible...

Vegas, Calgary, EDM, Philly, Vancouver, Chicago and any other teams with cap issues and/or "improve now" mandates that may be willing to part with 2020 firsts.

Drouin, Shaw, Byron, Petry, Tatar, our 2019 1st & our cap space are all assets we could leverage to beef up shots at AL...

Perfect cover/excuse to more aggressively "re-tool".

Best case... We get a few more 1sts, we flame out this year so that we get a wack of lottery balls with our own pick, MB gets canned well before the draft & we hire an exceptional GM candidate who gets to rebuild with an wealth of pick/prospect/young talent... Including the next great Franco star.

One can dream!

Reactions: habsterr

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
With this announcement, the potential of taking a run at the top French Canadian prospect since Lecavalier, our roster and cap situation & the current NHL landscape, I'd be all for MB & co. focusing the next 3-4 weeks on acquiring as many 2020 1st rounders as possible...

Vegas, Calgary, EDM, Philly, Vancouver, Chicago and any other teams with cap issues and/or "improve now" mandates that may be willing to part with 2020 firsts.

Drouin, Shaw, Byron, Petry, Tatar, our 2019 1st & our cap space are all assets we could leverage to beef up shots at AL...

Perfect cover/excuse to more aggressively "re-tool".

Best case... We get a few more 1sts, we flame out this year so that we get a wack of lottery balls with our own pick, MB gets canned well before the draft & we hire an exceptional GM candidate who gets to rebuild with an wealth of pick/prospect/young talent... Including the next great Franco star.

One can dream!

with the 19th overall pick the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select.......

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
TRADE THE WHOLE TEAM FOR 2020 1ST ROUND PICKS!!!

But in all seriousness, I have a feeling Ottawa will pick the hometown boy in front of thousands of habs fan, this one gonna sting...

Good for Lafreniere though to go 1st overall in front of family and friends.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
This is bad news as far as I'm concerned. Although Timmins has probably learned his lesson by now, I still hope there's not a lot of Quebec born players around our picks in the first few rounds.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
This is bad news as far as I'm concerned. Although Timmins has probably learned his lesson by now, I still hope there's not a lot of Quebec born players around our picks in the first few rounds.

Timmins didn't want to pick Leblanc if I remember correctly he was in love with Carlson and the selection was a direct manipulation by the management team.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That's not very patriotic:sarcasm:.

What if they're the BPA? You would pass on a good prospect cause he's from Québec? Shame!

Reactions: Booba

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Timmins didn't want to pick Leblanc if I remember correctly he was in love with Carlson and the selection was a direct manipulation by the management team.

Unfortuntely local favoritism also exists in our current management (as seen by the Drouin trade).

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
That's not very patriotic:sarcasm:.

What if they're the BPA? You would pass on a good prospect cause he's from Québec? Shame!

Hey as long as the Q player isn't off the board and is truly the BPA available it's not a problem. But judging who the BPA is after the top 5-10 is really not easy.

Reactions: Booba

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Because Leblanc was a hit ?

He certainly wasn't but people are acting like the Habs reached for some guy ranked 100th on draft lists.

He was ranked 12th overall by ISS and 13th among North American Skaters by the Central Scouting. He went 16th.
https://thehockeywriters.com/23-–-the-hockey-spy’s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/https://thehockeywriters.com/23-–-the-hockey-spy’s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/

It's just so easy to be an after-the-fact expert.

Also, it seems like Quebec players/coaches are held to a different standard throughout the league. If the Leafs or Sens had drafted an Ontario kid who turned out to be a bad pick, you wouldn't hear as many people saying that he was drafted for the sole reason that he's a local boy.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Lindros said that it was nothing on the team or the city but because he and his family hated Aubut. He explain that also but I forgot that part.
hum .... don't want to be rude but this is such a naive post .Do you really think that he would have said that he didn't want to live in a french city/province where people speak an alien language ? a province full of mighty dangerous separatists ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad