Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
MAF in 2003 I think?

Edit: They traded up from 3rd though, I can't see our first being that good
That was Rick Dudley's work.

He wanted Nathan Horton and realized he could get him at the third pick.

He did the same thing the year before and drafted JBo. Rick Nash went first.

Basically he knew he could still get the player he wanted, the reason he traded down.

Edit: 2003 was also the draft Dudley tried to draft Ovechkin who was 2 days short of the cutoff (born Sept 17) claiming leap years should count? haha

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How about this: Habs trade their 15th plus to try and add two more picks next year.

Next year, Habs enter the draft with 3 first rounders.

At the TDL, try and land an extra 1st rounder by dealing a redundant asset.

Use all of the 4 first rounders as leverage.

Works in EA NHL, probably won't IRL.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
How well did we draft on our home turf at Bell Centre in 2009.....
Montreal Canadiens Draft History at hockeydb.com

2009 Entry181Louis LeblancROmaha Lancers [USHL]50551032
2009 Entry653Joonas NattinenCBlues Jrs. (Finland)10000
2009 Entry793Mac BennettDHotchkiss School (Conn.)
2009 Entry1094Alexander AvtsinRDynamo Moscow-2 (Russia)
2009 Entry1395Gabriel DumontCDrummondville Voltigeurs [QMJHL]8745948
2009 Entry1696Dustin WalshCKingston Voyageurs [OJHL]
2009 Entry1997Mike CichyCIndiana Ice [USHL]
2009 Entry2117Petteri Simila
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Please no. It ups our necessary hometown boi picks from 1 to 2+; including but not limited to our first round pick.

Reactions: DXStriker

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

I remember they revisited this when they announced they were retiring from the NHL. Crazy the things that had to fall in place to make it work. I don't think with how great drafting has become there will be an opportunity for such a scenario , unless perhaps a relatively weak draft comes along.

My initial point is that I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Habs to pull this off as the NHL was a lawless wasteland (in 1999) compared to the product we have today. Hopefully the Habs keep drafting well and manage to pick up elite talent in a non-standard fashion (Pastarnak type that falls in late 1st). I don't have much confidence in certain management personnel but in the end I still like our intriguing prospects and young but some would say flawed team. (Elite pieces on the wrong side of 30 and signed to massive deals , no elite puck moving D , team that falls apart/collapses when their star goaltender goes down with an injury when other teams have otherwise been relatively fine.)

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My initial point is that I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Habs to pull this off ...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is reasonable to pull it off. Proof's in the pudding, these kind of deals haven't happened since 1999, let alone how difficult it is to just move up in or within the top 10 draft pick range. Any idea that the Habs could land the first pick next year is just for shits and giggles.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Please no. It ups our necessary hometown boi picks from 1 to 2+; including but not limited to our first round pick.

Well, the draft used to be in Montreal every year. But I guess there's also more fan pressure at these drafts than there used to be.

If Leblanc was predominantly a pick made to appease the fans, hopefully they learned thier lesson by now, but we have to keep in mind that Leblanc was always slated to be a 1st round pick at the time, french or not.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Well, the draft used to be in Montreal every year. But I guess there's also more fan pressure at these drafts than there used to be.

If Leblanc was predominantly a pick made to appease the fans, hopefully they learned thier lesson by now, but we have to keep in mind that Leblanc was always slated to be a 1st round pick at the time, french or not.
The last year of that annual draft in Montreal bit (1984) was amazing. Mario went 1st and didn't come down to get his sweater. Habs picked 5th and pulled Petr Svoboda out of hiding, he had defected and only Serge Savard knew. Later in the draft, Roy, Hull and Robitaille were picked, and the Kings drafted Tom Glavine.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Lol that svoboda story is something that can have its own half hour show. I'd love watch an in depth detail of how it all went down.

The European defectors in general gave alot of great draft stories over the years, right up to the collapse of the USSR.

Reactions: donghabs98

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I remember they revisited this when they announced they were retiring from the NHL. Crazy the things that had to fall in place to make it work. I don't think with how great drafting has become there will be an opportunity for such a scenario , unless perhaps a relatively weak draft comes along.

My initial point is that I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Habs to pull this off as the NHL was a lawless wasteland (in 1999) compared to the product we have today. Hopefully the Habs keep drafting well and manage to pick up elite talent in a non-standard fashion (Pastarnak type that falls in late 1st). I don't have much confidence in certain management personnel but in the end I still like our intriguing prospects and young but some would say flawed team. (Elite pieces on the wrong side of 30 and signed to massive deals , no elite puck moving D , team that falls apart/collapses when their star goaltender goes down with an injury when other teams have otherwise been relatively fine.)

it's too early to even think about it, but by say next May we'll have a much clearer picture. So if say the Habs end up with the 12th pick, could they trade up to the 5th pick? It would be costly for sure, but depending on how the draft shapes up perhaps it could be done. From there they would have a much better shot to move up to wherever he ends up being slated to go since he's not a lock for 1st OA. That said it's a major longshot as not only do we not know if MB would even consider it since it would likely cost a very hefty amount, but we don't know what team will end up with the pick and how likely they would be to move it.

I look at this years draft, I haven't heard anyone talk about it since it's likely so far fetched but if I were the Habs and I was willing to build through the draft then I would see what it would take to move up in this draft to say 8th and then see what it would cost to move up to 2nd. Getting Kappo would be a massive deal for our future instead of signing overpriced UFA's in the hopes we can maybe do better then a wild card spot next year. Sure it would cost a ton and again it's not likely to happen at all but if say NYR wanted Pod, and we were close enough to where they felt he could fall like say 8th if they felt that was around where he might go and we paid them enough.

In no way do I see this happening of course, just as I don't see us landing the 1st or 2nd OA next year no matter where the draft is but MB has shown at times he will take a big risk and we do have a lot of picks/prospects plus some decent young players.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
it's too early to even think about it, but by say next May we'll have a much clearer picture. So if say the Habs end up with the 12th pick, could they trade up to the 5th pick? It would be costly for sure, but depending on how the draft shapes up perhaps it could be done. From there they would have a much better shot to move up to wherever he ends up being slated to go since he's not a lock for 1st OA. That said it's a major longshot as not only do we not know if MB would even consider it since it would likely cost a very hefty amount, but we don't know what team will end up with the pick and how likely they would be to move it.

I look at this years draft, I haven't heard anyone talk about it since it's likely so far fetched but if I were the Habs and I was willing to build through the draft then I would see what it would take to move up in this draft to say 8th and then see what it would cost to move up to 2nd. Getting Kappo would be a massive deal for our future instead of signing overpriced UFA's in the hopes we can maybe do better then a wild card spot next year. Sure it would cost a ton and again it's not likely to happen at all but if say NYR wanted Pod, and we were close enough to where they felt he could fall like say 8th if they felt that was around where he might go and we paid them enough.

In no way do I see this happening of course, just as I don't see us landing the 1st or 2nd OA next year no matter where the draft is but MB has shown at times he will take a big risk and we do have a lot of picks/prospects plus some decent young players.

I know Weber/Price aren't getting any younger but I am preaching patience and I have no issue stacking a solid AHL team with strong/elite prospects. Taking risks is fine but staying the course despite the fans eagerness for success is the key (imo). The team is young , let's see how our kids develop over the next 1-2 years. If we see signs of regression and our team lacks production it may be time for a management overhaul. Boston is a fine example of finding gems in the later rounds and having success in the playoffs with older veterans (formerly elite). The last place we want to be is in the middle where we are too good to be gifted a top pick but not good enough to make the playoffs.

We have nearly no chance at stacking up top 3 picks with the composition of our team moving forward. They need to stick to a direction and invest accordingly. Flip flopping is the worst possible strategy you can't have nearly guaranteed top picks while remaining competitive it's not possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I think he’s talking more about a scenario in which we reach for a Quebec born prospect because of pressure from the fans.

Exactly.

And not only that, but the fact that half the people there will boo if selected kid isn't from here or put on that Quebec kid all the pressure of the world on his shoulders.

Unless fans somehow evolved and suddenly don't care where the player comes from, then it'll be alright.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->