Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I like both players. I figured Rossi would have more value being a center. I'm sure Ottawa would prefer to have a center if they were to take Stutzle at 3.

Both are good players. I got to see Perfetti live last year against Barrie. He looked like the best player in the game that included Tippett. Very impressive.
I'm not sure Rossi sticks at Center, and Stutzle has a shot at sticking at center with a Barzal type play-style.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If Detroit takes Perfetti at #4, then I can see Rossi falling out in his place. I think LA takes Byfield (he fits their big center mindset and can be the heir apparent for Kopitar) and I think Ottawa ends up with Stutzle and Dryfield no matter who they take first.

I think Anaheim and New Jersey go with Raymond and Holtz respectively, which leaves Rossi to Buffalo. I think he would be a pretty good fit in Buffalo. They have Cozens coming up as a 2C, and who knows what is going to happen with Mittelstadt (at this point he needs more AHL seasoning), but Rossi could fit in as a winger for Eichel or Cozens going forward, or if Cozens fits more as a winger, Rossi could be the 2C as well... Buffalo just needs more dynamic offensive talent because they are seriously struggling to get some outside of Eichel.

The rest of the order is TBD, but I expect a team like Chicago or Winnipeg will snatch up Askarov as soon as possible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Detroit takes Perfetti at #4, then I can see Rossi falling out in his place. I think LA takes Byfield (he fits their big center mindset and can be the heir apparent for Kopitar) and I think Ottawa ends up with Stutzle and Dryfield no matter who they take first.

I think Anaheim and New Jersey go with Raymond and Holtz respectively, which leaves Rossi to Buffalo. I think he would be a pretty good fit in Buffalo. They have Cozens coming up as a 2C, and who knows what is going to happen with Mittelstadt (at this point he needs more AHL seasoning), but Rossi could fit in as a winger for Eichel or Cozens going forward, or if Cozens fits more as a winger, Rossi could be the 2C as well... Buffalo just needs more dynamic offensive talent because they are seriously struggling to get some outside of Eichel.

The rest of the order is TBD, but I expect a team like Chicago or Winnipeg will snatch up Askarov as soon as possible.
I think Sanderson is going to find his way into the top 7 at least. Some scouts love the kid, I mean, he was ranked 3rd over Byfield according to Bob by at least 2 of his scouts (which generally accounts for 2 teams lists).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think Sanderson is going to find his way into the top 7 at least. Some scouts love the kid, I mean, he was ranked 3rd over Byfield according to Bob by at least 2 of his scouts (which generally accounts for 2 teams lists).

I do not think he will be a huge offensive talent, and defensively, I am not entirely convinced he is a guaranteed top pairing guy. In a draft this deep up top, that does not equate to a guaranteed top 10 pick.

However, since the top of the draft is heavy on wingers, a team who needs defense may prefer him over a higher risk, higher upside guy like Rossi, Holtz or Perfetti. I do not see why he would be ranked over Drysdale at this point though; Drysdale is at another level compared to Sanderson and is a far more rare RD with an all-around game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I do not think he will be a huge offensive talent, and defensively, I am not entirely convinced he is a guaranteed top pairing guy. In a draft this deep up top, that does not equate to a guaranteed top 10 pick.

However, since the top of the draft is heavy on wingers, a team who needs defense may prefer him over a higher risk, higher upside guy like Rossi, Holtz or Perfetti. I do not see why he would be ranked over Drysdale at this point though; Drysdale is at another level compared to Sanderson and is a far more rare RD with an all-around game.
I mean, just projecting the draft, Sanderson will likely be gone before 8. He's an all-world skater who excels at transition defense, one of the most sought after traits in the way the league is trending. High-defensive IQ, which great gap control and elite skating is a guy who eats 25 minutes a game. May not be 1st PP, but likely top ES guy, top PK guy and a possible 2nd unit PP guy. That's a Slavin type player usage wise. I'm not sold on Drysdale, he has more flash but his defensive game is inconsistent, and I don't think his offensive ability is as high-end as people think. Outside of being left-sided, Sanderson is exactly what the Leafs D would need, and many other teams are chasing that guy. So many people point to Quinn Hughes for Drysdale, when he also has a ton in common with someone like Jake Bean.

I'd also say I don't think this draft is extremely deep up-top. If it was that deep up-top someone would have seriously challenged Lafreniere for 1OA. Who is a good prospect, but probably outside the top 5 when it comes to best draft-prospects over the last 10 years (McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Dahlin, and MacKinnon), with arguments for a few more (Jones, Laine, Hughes, Kakko), It's above-average to good up top, but I'd put it behind 2015 and 2016 of draft years recently.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Looking at Bob McKenzie's draft rankings, I would love to get my hands on Lukas Cormier. The guy seems so poised and agile with the puck and has great vision as well to which seems like it would be perfect for the quick transition offense we are trying to build.
Our skating coaches could probably turn him into a real high end skater as well as he already has a really strong form and technique to his stride.

If he's off the board I wouldn't mind grabbing someone like a Thomas Bordeleau or Luke Evangelista or if looking for more physical options, Yan Kuznetsov and Emil Heineman would be fine options as well to.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Luke Evangelista would be a pick I would be happy with in the 2nd. He's one of those kids that is going to explode for 100+ points in the OHL next year (if he doesn't make the WJC team).

I'm also biased to him as I'm close with the family but regardless, solid player.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'd probably take at swing at him in the 4th round if he were available
I probably wouldn't take him at all. His skating needs a tonne of work and there's better options in the draft than taking a D+2 with skating issues.

If he makes it through again I would maybe take a swing with an AHL contract but that's about it with Sokolov.

If you're looking at a bigger guy around that 4th round pick with the potential to break out I would look at Jack Finley of the Spokane Chiefs. He's a 6'5" center that jumped from 19 points his first year to 57 in his second, and is one of the youngest players in this draft. He's 17 until September.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Luke Evangelista would be a pick I would be happy with in the 2nd. He's one of those kids that is going to explode for 100+ points in the OHL next year (if he doesn't make the WJC team).

I'm also biased to him as I'm close with the family but regardless, solid player.
He reminds me a lot of Bolland when he played in London. No outstanding traits but just a damn good hockey player.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
According to "the black book" (their ranking at least) Kirill Steklov might still be on the board when the Leafs pick. Around that pick a couple of decent D men should be available.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
According to "the black book" (their ranking at least) Kirill Steklov might still be on the board when the Leafs pick. Around that pick a couple of decent D men should be available.

Which pick? 2nd rounder? He's a late-round prospect at best. I have him as an undrafted prospect.

He has limited offensive upside and is not physical, making him mostly just a big body with long reach, decent puck skills and good skating ability. His IQ is decent but hardly anything special and he needs a lot of work in his own end in terms of coverage. So really we are looking at a 5 year, long shot project for a guy who can projects to be another Marincin? I like Marincin, but he should not be an NHL prospect's upside.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Which pick? 2nd rounder? He's a late-round prospect at best. I have him as an undrafted prospect.

He has limited offensive upside and is not physical, making him mostly just a big body with long reach, decent puck skills and good skating ability. His IQ is decent but hardly anything special and he needs a lot of work in his own end in terms of coverage. So really we are looking at a 5 year, long shot project for a guy who can projects to be another Marincin? I like Marincin, but he should not be an NHL prospect's upside.

They have him ranked somewhere in the 50's. Thanks for your info.

Do you think either Samuel Johannesson or Mitchell Miller could be a better choice (not necessarily with our first pick) ?

Last edited:

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I know we have a minimal chance at getting him, but John-Jason Peterka (late 1st round prospect) is remarkable.
Could be a great player to get, specially if he falls.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They have him ranked somewhere in the 50's. Thanks for your info.

Do you think either Samuel Johannesson or Mitchell Miller could be a better choice (not necessarily with our first pick) ?

Both are much better choices. Johannesson is a 4th or 5th round guy. Miller is like a 3rd round guy.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
@SeaOfBlue @93LEAFS

Thoughts on where Carter Savoie ends up in the draft? Had 53 Goals and 99 pts in 54 games in the AJHL.

5'9, 190 lbs. Already has some weight to him for his size. Could he be another potential Robertson type pick at our 2nd rounder?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
@SeaOfBlue @93LEAFS

Thoughts on where Carter Savoie ends up in the draft? Had 53 Goals and 99 pts in 54 games in the AJHL.

5'9, 190 lbs. Already has some weight to him for his size. Could he be another potential Robertson type pick at our 2nd rounder?

Eh I don't watch much AJHL. He seems to be the best AJHL prospect ever in terms of production. Obviously has a very attractive skillset which could make him a good NHLer some day.

There are some concerns though:
1) Height, but moreso that he is not an elite skater. Scouting reports say he's still a good skater, and if he was taller it would not be an issue at all, but you have higher standards for shorter skaters. Robertson was one of the best skaters in the draft; Savoie is not. That is something that should hurt his stock a little bit, since it could possibly hold him back in the NHL.
2) He played on a stacked team. He had a guy with over 100 points in his team, plus a bunch of other guys with a ton of production. Obviously he is good, but his teammates certainly helped a lot.
3) He does not seem to be as committed defensively. Robertson had defensive issues himself, but he was still very committed in his own zone.

To me, he is a top 75 caliber prospect. So he would be okay for our pick in the 2nd, but I do not feel like he really differentiates himself (i.e. there are A LOT of good top 75/100 prospects in this draft, but not too many who I feel really deserve to be at the top of that tier or able to possibly slip into the top 50).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
@SeaOfBlue @93LEAFS

I probably wouldn't draft him, he's likely to be gone way before I have him. He's not a Robertson, he coasts a lot. Whatever questions people have about Robertson, the one thing you can't question is his desire to get the puck and get better every day. The kid I like as a Robertson type pick is Tristan Robins off the Blades. If you are small without high-end skating, I want a kid who is a like a dog after a bone when it comes to the puck.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
@SeaOfBlue @93LEAFS

I like him and I like the idea of him percolating in college for a couple of years. I have seen him listed at 5'10" 192 so he could end up a lot thicker than Robertson. Side by side I think Robertson is maybe a bit optimistic but he has the big shot and was really having his way with the AJHL.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I probably wouldn't draft him, he's likely to be gone way before I have him. He's not a Robertson, he coasts a lot. Whatever questions people have about Robertson, the one thing you can't question is his desire to get the puck and get better every day. The kid I like as a Robertson type pick is Tristan Robins off the Blades. If you are small without high-end skating, I want a kid who is a like a dog after a bone when it comes to the puck.

Pretty much second that statement, athough "wouldn't draft" is not the word I would use. He still has the high end IQ and offensive arsenal that makes him very appealling as a prospect, however like you said I would probably not take him with our 2nd round pick (as I said, I don't think he really differentiates himself so I do not think he is great value in the 2nd), and he likely won't make it to our 4th. Although if a team does take him in the 2nd, hopefully that means a better fit drops to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->