Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - First Round Tuesday October 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nothing overly intrigues me with Grans, I like him, but he's more of a 2nd round guy for me. I'd prefer Schneider or trading back and taking Wallinder there if we're going D.

Grans is a 3rd round guy for me, and that is because he has size and raw skill. His refinement really hurts him though and while he may turn out huge, he may also not even come close. That is exactly what you look for in the 3rd round (i.e. Rasanen and Greenway, and I know Rasanen was taken in the late 2nd round, but he should have gone in the 3rd round).

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft

Sports illustrated has us taking Grans at 15 in their mock

That's because the hockey news draft preview has Grans at 15 and Wallinder at 14 (vs Schneider at 22 and Guhle at 19). They see higher potential in these puck moving Swede defencemen.

Grans did play 16 minutes and got a power play assist and two shots in his first SHL game this season. Last season he had 3 pts and 15 shots with 9.5 min TOI in 21 games.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Interesting take by Grant McKagg on Edmonton radio (McKagg: I have Tim Stutzle at #2)

On Sanderson:
- Ranks Sanderson #3 and suggests
- There are usually one or two guys that NHL teams rank higher than independent lists, and he thinks Sanderson is the guy in this regard; he heard scouts who think 10 years from now Sanderson may end up the best player in the draft
- He compares this ranking to 2017 when he ranked Heiskanen #2 ahead of Patrick
- Has top pairing potential
- Sees him as perfect partner for Seider; don't see how he can get past #4

On Lapierre
- He helped his course with a great preseason; puts on 15 bounds, now 185 pounds.
- Key to where he is drafted is how teams view his injury. Every team has their own doctors and they keep their medical analysis confidential; Derrick Brassard had a similar vertebrate injury.
- He was a top 2-3 player in the Hlinka tournament and a 3rd round pick in his early season QMJHL play, which might have been affected by his injury
- Scouts told him that Lapierre looks like his old self in preseason play
- has 2nd line upside, makes sense to go in early teens

On Holloway:
- He sees Holloway as a good complementary player to Draisaitl and McDavid. He can take the role of Kassian with upgrades on skills
- May not be a good point getter but can bring a lot of intangibles, much like those 3rd line guys that Tampa got
(I guess he can be like another Hyman who can perhaps play center).

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
There's not a chance in hell. Robertson would be a top 10 pick in this draft had he been born a week later.
You've got it sire. Robertson seems to be real killa for scrilla. I didn't know anythang of him before some great hfboards members of and in our toronto boards taught me. Then I see him play and see talent. He really shoots the puck and is a lil terrier. I mean what a sucka for those goals. He might score-a-lot with matthews or tavares. I also think Tavares will have a huge season after this mediocre fool dirt brown poop season. He smelled hard this season in some games (also because of injuries). I mean a real cow dirt taste in my mouth, puking all over min shoes and legs. But yeah, back to robertson, he a robococ like peter weller for real mayne. We hard with him. A real terrier. If we get simmonds with robertson, not in the same line, but in the same team. Ain't nothing gon stop us and our movement.

Reactions: Kazinski

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft

Sports illustrated has us taking Grans at 15 in their mock
I've already said I'd be disappointed with taking Schneider at 15. Taking Grans would outright piss me off. I value skating and IQ above all else in defensemen and I have a few questions about that when it comes to him. If the top brass really wanted a dman they could just trade back and take Wallinder, who is the much better prospect with a higher ceiling.

Reactions: cookie and Merrrlin

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Definitely hoping we keep the pick. They way we're built we need cheap talent coming through the pipelines every couple of years

Reactions: Rocker13

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
If the Leafs go off the board at 15 or trade back in the draft who will they take?

1. John Jason Peterka- Tons of speed and skill with connection to Mark hunter (London owns his rights)
2. Ridly Creig- A late birthday means lots room to develop hi skills. He has heart and physical game which would help get other leafs emotionally engaged in games.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I've already said I'd be disappointed with taking Schneider at 15. Taking Grans would outright piss me off. I value skating and IQ above all else in defensemen and I have a few questions about that when it comes to him. If the top brass really wanted a dman they could just trade back and take Wallinder, who is the much better prospect with a higher ceiling.
I don't see it shaking out this way at all. Depending on who may fall, I think Dubas is trading back. To me it looks like there is a tier of about 10 players that have the same potential. Only way I see us taking Grans is if we trade back to 28 with Ottawa.

Wallinder kind of sounds like an Ekholm.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Definitely hoping we keep the pick. They way we're built we need cheap talent coming through the pipelines every couple of years

I'd be fine if they used the pick in a trade or at the draft.

Have to have all assets onboard over the next 4 years, and waiting for someone to develop isn't going to help win in that timeframe.

Unless they can make a major move up the draft probably 2-3 years away from helping the team.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Pronman's mock draft

15: Rodion Amirov, LW, Ufa-MHL
44: Lukas Cormier, D, Charlottetown-QMJHL
106: Alexander Pashin, RW, Ufa-MHL
122: Theo Rochette, C, Quebec-QMJHL
153: Taylor Gauthier, G, Prince George-WHL
168: Yaroslav Likhachyov, LW, Gatineau-QMJHL
177: David Ma, D, Shattuck St Mary’s-US High School
180: Patrick Guay, C, Sherbrooke-QMJHL
189: Veeti Miettinen, RW, Espoo-Jr. A. Liiga
195: Alex Young, C, Canmore-AJHL
212: Brett Brochu, G, London-OHL

Reactions: KMNRB and Morgs

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
If the Leafs go off the board at 15 or trade back in the draft who will they take?

1. John Jason Peterka- Tons of speed and skill with connection to Mark hunter (London owns his rights)
2. Ridly Creig- A late birthday means lots room to develop hi skills. He has heart and physical game which would help get other leafs emotionally engaged in games.
would not mind trading back a taking Greig

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Pronman's mock draft

not to familiar at all with the later picks but the 1st 4 picks all seem to have very strong upside.

Would not mind if this is how it played out at all.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Pronman's mock draft

Pashin in the 4th round would be ridiculous. Fingers crossed.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Pronman's mock draft

Would much prefer Garand over Gauthier in Goal around that pick. Gauthier is a decent project though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pronman's mock draft

Amirov has been a big riser for me. Almost a favourite of mine right now. His KHL start as an 18 year old is pretty impressive.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Amirov has been a big riser for me. Almost a favourite of mine right now. His KHL start as an 18 year old is pretty impressive.
Same here. This is from Hockey Prophets:

Measuring draft-year players in the KHL presents multiple problems, the most obvious of which is limited ice time. In addition, the minutes that 18-year-olds do see are generally not the most productive opportunities available. So, with that in mind, one important measure is simply whether or not a KHL team is willing to carry a draft-eligible player in the first place. Beyond that, a forward’s ability to generate shots on net in the minutes they get can give an insight into the player’s ability to generate offense despite not getting a lot of scoring chances. Amirov appeared in 21 games for Salavat Yulaev last season and generated 8.4 shots per 60 minutes of ice time (7th among team forwards).

Amirov has decent size at 6’0 and nearly 170 pounds, and he moves around the ice with good maneuverability and at times great up-ice speed. He displays good acceleration and edges that enable him to slip through small spaces in congested ice. However, Amirov’s hands are clearly the main attribute that will likely get him selected in the first round of the draft. In tight areas, Amirov handles the puck with dexterity, showing the skills to pass or dangle despite defenders closing on him. He can also get shots away with a fast release and no windup, again making him dangerous in tight spots, particularly in close to the net. He shows good game anticipation, and jumps to loose pucks with goal-scoring intent.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Anyone know any good youtube channels or otherwise that shows shift by shift of goalie prospects? I would prefer not to go by highlight vids as they usually show mostly the big saves or desperation saves and don't give you the full picture as to how they read the play, tecnhique or how they get beat. I will try to do a breakdown of each. Up to this point I've only seen Askarov, Daws, Hlavaj, Garand, Gauthier, Guzda and Cranley.

@SeaOfBlue @93LEAFS

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Pronman's mock draft

I remember Pronman being in awe of the Leafs 2015 draft.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Button pumping Schnieder at #15 for the Leafs. Older, more mature, physically, emotionally and mentally prepared to play. Compared him to Trouba.

Reactions: New Liskeard

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pronman's mock draft

On Amirov, he said he heard some other forwards with Toronto but as trade down candidates. He also indicated 15th is the lowest Jarvis will fall.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
On Amirov, he said he heard some other forwards with Toronto but as trade down candidates. He also indicated 15th is the lowest Jarvis will fall.

He also said these trade down candidates are "smaller, skilled forwards who aren’t great skaters." Sounds like Zary, Bourque, or Brisson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad