Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - First Round Tuesday October 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If Jarvis, Askarov, Lundell, and Sanderson are all gone, there really isn’t anyone there that is worth spending 15 on. Trade down.

I don't really feel this. I think we're just in a spot in the draft where the "potential stars" are most likely gone, but there are a bunch of potential 1st liners/top-6 players left over that would be arguably top 10-15 picks in most drafts. This draft just has a larger group of "potential stars" than most imo so the drop off seems bigger than it actually is.

I would most likely trade down too if all of the "potential stars" are gone, but there are a bunch of guys that I'd say are "worth it".

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015

This guy was pretty much bang on with most of his draft projections last year.

If this is how it plays out, I'm gonna be bit disappointed TBH.
Not the biggest Mercer fan.

There is still a week until the draft. I think his predictions last year was on draft day. So it should be somewhat less accurate.

Amirov got another goal in 19.5 min of KHL action. It won't surprise me if the Leafs or one of the teams above us picked him.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
There is still a week until the draft. I think his predictions last year was on draft day. So it should be somewhat less accurate.

Amirov got another goal in 19.5 min of KHL action. It won't surprise me if the Leafs or one of the teams above us picked him.
I would be pretty happy if we walk away with after the 1st round

Reactions: KMNRB and Morgs

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

This guy was pretty much bang on with most of his draft projections last year.

If this is how it plays out, I'm gonna be bit disappointed TBH.
Not the biggest Mercer fan.

Yeah he was pretty damn accurate last season. I wouldn't mind Mercer, but would prefer to trade back in that case. Mercer is a pretty sure bet to at least be a middle six winger who's a jack of all trades, but master of none.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Guys I see gone for sure:
  1. Lafreniere
  2. Byfield
  3. Stutzle
  4. Rossi
  5. Sanderson
  6. Drysdale
  7. Askarov
  8. Raymond
  9. Perfetti
  10. Lundell
  11. Holtz
  12. Quinn
Guys I think could be available in order of preference (this keeps changing):
  1. Jarvis
  2. Amirov
  3. Zary
  4. Holloway
  5. Mercer

Reactions: Morgs

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah he was pretty damn accurate last season. I wouldn't mind Mercer, but would prefer to trade back in that case. Mercer is a pretty sure bet to at least be a middle six winger who's a jack of all trades, but master of none.

It would not be shocking for Dubas to go off the board or trade down. I personally hope he uses the pick to draft at least as opposed to trade it for a player. I just cannot see a scenario where it gets used to get us a player we truly need. We just don't have enough to add to it. If they are going to go off board, I would prefer Dubas to trade down and at least pickup another 2nd + 3rd if possible.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I wouldn't touch Mercer. Trade down if it's him.

Reichel, Zary, Guhle all better.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: With Stanley Cup awarded, NHL faces new questions - Sportsnet.ca

14. New Jersey’s 18th and 20th picks are in play. (Not the seventh, I don’t think.) The Devils could do a lot of things: move up, move down or trade for immediate help. If the move is for a player, they are looking for youth (maximum 26) with term or team control. It’s a specific target.

15. Mackenzie Blackwood took a huge step for the Devils this year, but opponents suspect their lack of overall organizational depth at the position has Russian goalie Yaroslav Askarov on their radar. Askarov is the true wild card of next week’s draft. Among the teams suspected of eyeing him in the top 15: Ottawa, New Jersey, Minnesota, Carolina and Edmonton.

16. Anaheim is not averse to trading down a few spots from six.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
31 Thoughts: With Stanley Cup awarded, NHL faces new questions - Sportsnet.ca

14. New Jersey’s 18th and 20th picks are in play. (Not the seventh, I don’t think.) The Devils could do a lot of things: move up, move down or trade for immediate help. If the move is for a player, they are looking for youth (maximum 26) with term or team control. It’s a specific target.

15. Mackenzie Blackwood took a huge step for the Devils this year, but opponents suspect their lack of overall organizational depth at the position has Russian goalie Yaroslav Askarov on their radar. Askarov is the true wild card of next week’s draft. Among the teams suspected of eyeing him in the top 15: Ottawa, New Jersey, Minnesota, Carolina and Edmonton.

Interesting he doesn't list the Leafs as eyeing Askarov. I feel there is like a 90% chance he's gone before 15, so maybe the organization feels that way too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Interesting he doesn't list the Leafs as eyeing Askarov. I feel there is like a 90% chance he's gone before 15, so maybe the organization feels that way too.

Maybe we are not making our intentions as clear as other teams, or maybe they are just tossing out names and did not want to toss out every name.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
31 Thoughts: With Stanley Cup awarded, NHL faces new questions - Sportsnet.c

Usually you don't see too many teams trade down in the top 10 but I think Anaheim is in a good position to do it if they want to acquire extra assets. Now trading down to 15 is a pipe dream. But honestly, after the top 3, I'd say it gets fairly interchangeable. Specifically Perfetti, Raymond, Drysdale, Sanderson, Rossi and Holtz. Which means they could trade down to 9 and still get one of those players. If they like Askarov, Lundell, Jarvis and Quinn they could move down even further. I wouldn't think they would go all the way down to 13 though.

Flipping with Minnesota is something I could see. Minnesota really needs a game-changing prospect along with Kaprizov and maybe they feel one at 6 would suit them better than one at 9.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't even want to know what the cost would be to upgrade 15 to 6, but man would it be nice to be picking there instead.

Guaranteed a blue chip prospect instead of hoping one drops/picking the right high-ceiling/low-floor guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad