NHL entry draft 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the season is cancelled then I think the NHL will impose a "freeze" on all player signings. That means Crosby won't be able to sign anywhere. Once hockey resumes Then they would probably have a Draft right after a new CBA is agreed apon. The order would be a 30 team lottery to see the draft order. Since nobody won any games or lost any games , there would legally be a 30 team tie for first and last place. Remember that the draft part of the new CBA has not been agreed apon, so Sidney Crosby would have no rights at all. Not even to become a free agent. Another thought would be a temporary settlement for the NHL draft only. Meaning they would agree to a ONE DAY CBA under the old rules just to have the draft, which I would imagine could happen very easily.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Machoking2003-04 said:
If the season is cancelled then I think the NHL will impose a "freeze" on all player signings. That means Crosby won't be able to sign anywhere. Once hockey resumes Then they would probably have a Draft right after a new CBA is agreed apon. The order would be a 30 team lottery to see the draft order. Since nobody won any games or lost any games , there would legally be a 30 team tie for first and last place. Remember that the draft part of the new CBA has not been agreed apon, so Sidney Crosby would have no rights at all. Not even to become a free agent. Another thought would be a temporary settlement for the NHL draft only. Meaning they would agree to a ONE DAY CBA under the old rules just to have the draft, which I would imagine could happen very easily.
the cup champs get first pick .....ya...thats fair

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Who would be the cup champs if no season were played?

I agree you would have to put all 30 teams in a lottery to determine the order.

I favor just skipping a year and moving the age up to 19.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
First overall to the host team sounds fair to everyone! I think that solves Ottawa's center problem. :)

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
triggrman said:
Who would be the cup champs if no season were played?

I agree you would have to put all 30 teams in a lottery to determine the order.

I favor just skipping a year and moving the age up to 19.

The draft is for 19 year olds...but you can opt in at 18

But you did hit the nail on the head, the draft would be cancelled and it would be a 2006 entry draft.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
My preference would be to hold two separate drafts - 2005 and 2006. It's just that both would take place in 2006. None of this combining or anything else.

The only thing to do would be to figure out the order for 2005. Maybe a combination of the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Too bad you can´t bet on these things...

I am certain that the option of not having a draft at all will be explored. First of all, their has been talk for a long time that the age of which players are beeing drafted is too low. The percentage of players who make it rigth away is extremly low and the draft today is somewhat of a lottery. If the draft age was changed from 18 to 19 the draft order would fill its purpose. Today the first 3-4 picks fill its purpose but after that the 30th pick might turn out to be the 5th best pick and so on...

Second, the draft is extremely important for the competetive balance of the league, poor teams from last year has already been awarded with high draft picks. Having a lottery of somekind to make up the order could disturb the balance of the league. Also it would be very hard for the league to move back the draft age in the future, the only way too move the draft age from 18 too 19 is by not having a draft one year so this is a unique oppertunity to not have a draft!

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
oil slick said:
The objection would be that teams traded draft picks in both years based on the relative strengths of the draft. Where would you put those traded picks?

Well teams knew next years draft would be deep so the picks would onyl be mroe useful. Also, GMs knew their was uncertainity so it should be up to them to be conservative with picks. As for who drafts when, let them play 1 season like i propsed and go from that order for the first year and than continue.

mooseOAK*

If the juniors leagues are compensated for draft picks, cancelling next year's draft would really screw them.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
mooseOAK said:
If the juniors leagues are compensated for draft picks, cancelling next year's draft would really screw them.

Actually, due to the whole CBA problem, the NHL isnt dealing with the expired CHL-NHL agreement at this time, meaning no teams are getting any compensation at the time. And oh yes, this is causing a massive head ache for small market CHL teams right now as well.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I have no clue what the NHL well do but I think it would be wrong to punish these kids who have not signed an NHL contract in there life....they worked there asses off all there lifes and they deserve to have there draft held on time.

it also isn't fair to guys like jeff carter and dion phaneuf who are nhl ready and have had their nhl dreams derailed by the lockout. but there is nothing you can do about it...its unfortunate for those kids that this is happening in their draft year, but not much you can do about that

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mooseOAK said:

well the deal between the nhl & chl is expired so until that gets renewed (after the nhl cba is signed) then those teams don't get anything...so it would sort of be like the lockout lasted 2 years for the chl clubs.

but if the deal was renewed the same way, they would still get $$ for the players drafted in 2003 or 2004, and i'm sure they could easily bump the pot up a bit to compensate for the losses to keep on good terms with the chl

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I realize this is an utterly outrageous proposition....but, wouldn't it be much easier if they just had a 2004-2005 NHL hockey season???

When will the squabbling children of the NHL and NHLPA realize that they're turning a hockey hill into Mount Kilimanjaro?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Can a Mod please sticky one of these 05 draft question threads, because we are all getting tired of seeing 2 or 3 of them started every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->