Speculation: NHL draft

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I don't think Poile cares much about picks right now. If he makes a trade it will very likely be for a player just like his last few trades. Ellis won't be moved at the draft, Poile is going to do his best to re-sign him.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
:boredom:

There's a draft? Whatever. Not really a key event for the Preds this year. No 1st or 2nd, no trades, not picking up picks. Not giving up picks. Just pump our 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th round chips into the slot machine and walk away.

Poile should be focused on his free agency strategies. This draft is Kealty's.

Although it will be fun to watch what other teams do.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Yeah, I feel like there could be a lot of moves this year. I doubt any involve us, but should be interesting still.

Yep. Tons of big names that could be moved here, between now and July 1st or not at all.

Simmonds, Pacioretty, Grubauer, Ward, Coyle, Zucker, Niederreiter, Anderson, O'Reilly, Skinner, Panarin, Tanev, Hamonic and then Canucks 7th and Oilers 10th overall. Doubt Karlsson gets moved tonight but who knows.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
There are always lots of names thrown around just before the draft. There will probably only be one or two trades of any consequence the next couple of days just like every other year. Last year, even with the expansion draft, there were only 3 or 4 meaningful trades. The year before, I don't think there were any trades except for 3rd/4th line types etc.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

Elias Lindholm likely to be traded too since negotiations with him have not gone well.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Carolina stuff sounds a little... manic? I don't know, Hanifin-Skinner-Lindholm was a big part of what they got from having down years, and turning around and parlaying that into more draft picks and more down years wouldn't impress me if I was a Canes fan. Give us a couple of those guys, I'd be pretty happy.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Once again, despite all of the chatter from insiders, we're left with a very boring first round in terms of trades. Literally 1 trade and it was to move up 4 spots in the bottom of the 1st round, blah.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So now both of Colorados goalies are former Caps backups...

Speculation earlier was Grubauer could net a first but with the accompanying cap dump of Orpik 2nd seems about right.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Also Kravtsov, who had 7 points in the KHL regular season and won rookie of the year, went 9th overall.
*Stole KHL rookie of the year with an abysmal effort compared to Tolvanen

I know it's a nonfactor in the long run but it does suck.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What is wrong with Veleno? Why is he poison?
I would say it's probably a sense of him "plateauing" early. He was such a hotshot prospect 3 years ago that teams would have liked to see him just keep progressing and at a steeper development slope he'd be sitting as a superstar in junior right now and a pick firmly lodged in the top-10. Instead, he's a real solid player, but with no particular standout skill area and with a sense that his progression has leveled out already, it makes him an unsexy choice. He's not "poison", just... rice and beans... or meat and potatoes maybe when teams are hoping to uncover prospects who are still on the steeper part of their development curves.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Also Kravtsov, who had 7 points in the KHL regular season and won rookie of the year, went 9th overall.
So my theory a while back was they are hoping to "bribe" Kravtsov to hang around in the KHL with that. Meanwhile the Rangers have the pull to try to get him out of it and over to NA. Will see if their goofy Rookie Of The Year ploy pays any dividends for them. Either way, he looks like a real good player.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
XM commentators were saying Rags fans were livid and hate the pick because his numbers aren't good and hes didnt have a lot of pre draft exposure and the Isles apparently got 2 really good picks at 11 and 12

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
XM commentators were saying Rags fans were livid and hate the pick because his numbers aren't good and hes didnt have a lot of pre draft exposure and the Isles apparently got 2 really good picks at 11 and 12
The Isles got two amazing picks, so I understand their celebrations. Not every teenager can score like Tolvanen in the KHL, nor be put into the positions to score as much. Numbers aren't important in his case. I mean what do I really know just reading and looking at highlights videos, but with his size and skill I understand why teams coveted Kravtsov. But I'm sure I'd nitpick these picks more diligently if it was our picks! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->