NHL Draft Question

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by puckguy11, Feb 21, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. puckguy11

puckguy11 This Space for Rent

The Draft is in my neck of the woods this year, and I was wondering if you need a ticket to get in. If so, how much do they usually run?

2. TMLOBI

TMLOBI Registered User

Professional Gambler
    And here I was, going to get the "lmgtfy" out. But I couldn't find anything other then this http://www.showtimetickets.com/sports/hockey/nhl/other-nhl/nhl-draft.jsp which would appear to mean you do need a ticket.. I'd think immediate family members of the kids going to the draft would not need a ticket.. but a random spectator might.

Anyone else with info on this.. or who has ever attended an NHL draft?

3. puckguy11

puckguy11 This Space for Rent

I did Google it, but no luck. Thus the question.

4. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

Went to the Draft last year in LA and had a blast. Imagine Minnesota would run it in similar fashion. Tickets were free. Season ticket holders had dibs on lower bowl seats, off the top of my head those were distributed fairly late in the regular season. The general public could reserve tickets on Ticketmaster after that.....I want to say those went on "sale" in May last year.

I ended up only being to get upper level access, but I managed to sneak into the lower bowl since my buddy was a STH and the ushers only checked his ticket and not mine.

Sat down near the draft tables, but a couple suits told us that we'd likely have to move since the prime seats/sections are reserved for prospects and their families/entourages. We ended up moving, but a few folks stuck around with no problem.

Although the first round lags big time for those in attendance. When you're there, you don't have the TSN broadcast to fill in the dead time between picks. First round takes nearly four hours nowadays, so it definitely helps to have a buddy with you or make friends with strangers.

Definitely a fun environment. After the first night, we got dinner at a nearby steakhouse and Shea Weber was waiting in line after me. Charlie Coyle, still wearing his Sharks jersey, and his family came in soon after. Funniest sight might have been spotting Emerson Etem walking around by himself (a few hours after the first round ended) with an expression on his face like his puppy just got ran over.

I'd recommend sticking around for Day 2. Only a handful of geeky fans attend and it's much easier to stake out a great seat. Fun to have guys like Cam Neely, Steve Yzerman, Lou Lamoriello walk right by you. Gave Jon Merrill the generic "Congrats." Got in a couple minutes with Steve Thomas while his son was busy taking photos outside of the arena. Took a picture for Sami Aitokallio and his family. Saw Kirill Kabanov talking to security to get back into Staples Center because his parents were still inside. Even got a chuckle out of Bob McKenzie after he finished taping a report for TSN.

5. leoleo3535

leoleo3535 Registered User

It is free or cheap depending on the venue.

Well worth going.

6. SENSational Sens Fan

SENSational Sens Fan Registered User

Student
    Tickets were free for the 2008 draft in Ottawa so I would guess it's that way.