Speculation: NHL Draft Prediction Thread

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
1) Roy is seen visibly crying and breaking things when his "son", Radulov, chooses to sign with another team just days before the draft. This also spells doom for a bunch of current Avs players.
2) Tyson Barrie is traded to Edmonton for the 4th Overall and Davidson
3) Matt Duchene is traded to Winnipeg for Trouba, Lemieux and a 2nd
4) Suprisingly, Semyon Varlamov returns the 6th Overall from the Flames. Flames fans are seen angrily yelling at TV screens and Avs fans once again state "see, I told you our players had value". 
5) At the 4th OVR the Avs pick Roy's future favourite player, Pierre-Luc Dubois
6) At the 6th OVR the Avs decide to add Mikhail Sergachev
7) Finally, at the 10th OVR the Avs add their future best player, Tyson Jost
8) Alex DeBrincat falls to the Avs 40th OVR pick, and to much suprise the Avs pick him
8) Avs fans sink into a weird depression where there is much excitement about the shiny new prospects, but also sadness about the team likely sucking for the next few years...again

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I guess I better add the Sakic goes on a draft-eve bender and panics about the expansion draft and decides to use it as an excuse to blow it up predictions

1) Duchene to Carolina for #13+#21+McKeown
2) Barrie + Berra to Florida for Crouse + Petrovic + #23
3) Varlamov +#71 for #35+#54+#56

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ An expansion draft is gonna make teams hang on to their prospects and draft picks more not trade them.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I see no point in getting Yakupov. He's not good enough to get protected and in theory, he might get picked up in the expansion draft. Just an unnecessary piece IMHO.

What I'd do depends on the direction they want this team to go. What I wouldn't mind is this:

1. Duchene for 3rd overall and Rychel - but would rather keep Duchene.
2. Barrie for 4th overall.
3. Varlamov for 13th overall to Carolina.
4. Wideman for Iginla.
5. Sign Radulov.

We are going to need guys we don't mind protecting. He only has 1 year on his contract. If he doesn't work out, no big deal. And there is always the potential he turns it around on a new team.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
1) Brown, Keller, or both get picked in the top 9 leaving one or two of Nylander, Sergachev, Chychrun at 10th. Avs take Sergachev.

2) Avs trade for Trouba on draft day for Barrie+ or Duchene with a add coming COL's way

3) Radulov waits until July 1st just to prove Sakic wrong that he will take part in that frenzy.

4) Mitchell is traded before July 1st.

5) A.J. Greer is signed to his ELC and plays in SA next year.

6) Everyone *****es about Roy and Sakic because they obviously know better.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
^ An expansion draft is gonna make teams hang on to their prospects and draft picks more not trade them.

I think we all get that. Just as I think we all get Sakic isn't likely to go all scorched earth after a bender.

This is just a fun little thread to pass the time and for people to post their predictions both reasonable and outlandish

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Trouba+22 for Barrie+10. Winnipeg turns around and trades Barrie for 4th overall+Fayne. Everyone freaks out because the Jets have 3 picks in the top 10.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
1. Draft Sergachev at 10 and Nathan Bastion at 40. Then Vladimir Kuznetsov at 71, Lucas Carlsson at 131, Kenny Johnson at 161, and Alexandre Fortin in the 7th.

2. Trade Mitchell for a 4th, pick Sawchenko.

3. Prior to the draft, they announce the signings of Radulov, MacKinnon, Matthias and Barrie. Maybe not all at once, but by the beginning of the draft. Also announce coaching moves of Konowolski to coach the SAR, plus at least one new assistant for the Avs.

OK, maybe there is more hope than prediction for 2 and 3....but meh.

Big Bad Zad

Mar 31, 2016
I predict they try to trade up to 7 with Arz but the price is to high so they stay at 10, but still get their guy Juolevi

Deja vu

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
1. Nylander with 10
2. Mitchell traded for picks
3. Sakic announces that we're not trading Duchene :P

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
1. Sergachev at 10
2. An unexpected player traded, Landeskog
3. Mitchell traded
4. Radulov, Matthias, Mackinnon Barrie extended
5. Varly traded

LobsterMagnet19

Feb 4, 2013
1) Clayton Keller at 10th overall
2) Nick Holden for an earlyish 3rd round pick (61-75) or Matthias replacement 3rd line wing
3) Radulov signs a 3 year deal as soon as the cap number is set officially

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
1) Avs trade back from 10 and acquire another 1st round pick (thinking Carolina or Winnipeg...)

2) Radulov signs a 3 year deal at about...let's say 4.75M AAV (pure guess there, don't have any inside info)

3) Avs draft McLeod w/ the first of their now 2 1st round selections, and then go Denis Cholowski or Tyler Benson with the 2nd.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
1. Jake Bean
2. Reto Berra for a 4th
3. Announced by one of the "insiders" that it appears Tyson Barrie and the Avalanche will be able to come to terms on a long term contract.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
I would be the least surprised man if the Montreal Canadian offers Subban to Edmonton to get the 4th pick. In Quebec, they are crazy about PL Dubois. No doubts Roy will be very jealous when the Habs gets him. If Edmonton are ready to send Hall instead of Nugent-H with the 4th pick, it will be a done deal.

As for the Avs.....as always they won't have the guts (and the brain) to come up with something innovative to improve this poor defense. Unless they have the chance to put their hand on Sergachev, who seems to be the only one to be NHL ready, they will have the same silly defense next year. I thought their best chance would have been to send Varlamov to Carolina for Slavin but.....the Hurricanes just sign Ward.

So their weaknesses are still on forwards in the system while it is the defense in Denver.....since you don't draft based on your current weaknesses but on based on your actual pool of prospect....they should go for a forward....maybe we will be lucky like last year and get Nylander.

During the draft.....not much will happen but they will try.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
1) Sergachev at #10
2) Iginla + for Orpik + / Mitchell for a mid/late pick
3) Radulov signs a 2 year contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would be the least surprised man if the Montreal Canadian offers Subban to Edmonton to get the 4th pick. In Quebec, they are crazy about PL Dubois. No doubts Roy will be very jealous when the Habs gets him. If Edmonton are ready to send Hall instead of Nugent-H with the 4th pick, it will be a done deal.

As for the Avs.....as always they won't have the guts (and the brain) to come up with something innovative to improve this poor defense. Unless they have the chance to put their hand on Sergachev, who seems to be the only one to be NHL ready, they will have the same silly defense next year. I thought their best chance would have been to send Varlamov to Carolina for Slavin but.....the Hurricanes just sign Ward.

So their weaknesses are still on forwards in the system while it is the defense in Denver.....since you don't draft based on your current weaknesses but on based on your actual pool of prospect....they should go for a forward....maybe we will be lucky like last year and get Nylander.

Oh god no... he isn't nearly NHL ready. Chychrun, Juolevi, McAvoy, and even Bean are all more NHL ready than Sergachev. Sergachev has some intriguing upside, but he plays a very junior game right now.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Chychrun is probably the most nhl ready. Both he and Sergachev are physically ready, but Chyychrun is a lot more defensively sound. IMO it's more likely for a young Dman to play if they are defensively sound. Coaches just don't like seeing easy goals given up. They will live with a progressing offensive skill though.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Oh god no... he isn't nearly NHL ready. Chychrun, Juolevi, McAvoy, and even Bean are all more NHL ready than Sergachev. Sergachev has some intriguing upside, but he plays a very junior game right now.

I disagree, I think realistically any of the top 3 dmen, Chychrun, Juolevi, or Sergachev could all play in the NHL next season. Would it be best for their development, that's a different story, but that's not something I can determine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad