NHL Draft Pick Production and Team Rankings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I did this to see how bad the 2008-2011 draft years were for the Habs and to compare it to what Bergevin has done since 2012. I was surprised to see some of these stats and I decided to share it with the rest of the league. Up to you to value what you want but there are some pretty interesting stats here IMO.

I posted something similar before but this time I added pts generated and pts/game. Enjoy and I'm only fine tunning the stats and format. I have a few other ideas but this take a lot of time to gather.

I was really surprised to see the Habs ranked 9th in pts and 7th in pts/game since 2012. I expected our team to be ranked somewhere between 15-20 range.

1GpbC8t.jpg

8TbBL5b.jpg

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Flames #1 for average points per game. That's impressive considering how much the Flames have sucked at drafting the past 20 years. Also impressive considering that means they have pretty much hit on all their high picks + adding Gaudreau (and that still includes Bennett who hasn't broken out yet, and an emerging Jankowski). Also among the lowest for total picks.

Nice

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Flames #1 for average points per game. That's impressive considering how much the Flames have sucked at drafting the past 20 years. Also impressive considering that means they have pretty much hit on all their high picks + adding Gaudreau (and that still includes Bennett who hasn't broken out yet, and an emerging Jankowski). Also among the lowest for total picks.

Nice

I like looking at all columns. It's interesting to see how each are related or unrelated when it comes to certain teams. Lets look at the flames over the last 7 years...

Flames:
- 39 total picks (ranks 17th)
- 3 top 10 picks (ranks 6th)
- 19 top 100 picks (ranks 17th)
- 14th in Average pick
- 4th in Average top 100 pick
- 740 NHL games played (ranks 16th)
- 405 pts (ranks 8th)
- 0.547 pts/game (ranks 1st)

I think two stats stand out to me. 3 top 10 picks and 4th in average top 100 pick. This means they had a lot shots with lower picks and they did well with them.

Let me know if you disagree with any evaluations in the chart below

scwHUSw.png

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Nothing surprising here from a Dallas perspective. We already know how bad we have drafted and how it has gotten worse under Nill. I’m 100% positive that if the franchise let the fan base vote on draft picks we’d be higher up this list. Edited to add, in case it’s not obvious that’s not necessarily a complement to the fans but an indictment on management’s incompetence.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
interesting, and i am sure lots of work went into this. of course, it is only about points, so it doesn't tell the entire story. but it's good. thx.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Interesting to see how the Canes, Leafs, and Flames went from jokes in the prior 4 year span (Canes are buoyed slightly by Skinner and Faulk) to among the best in the league over the next 6. Will be interesting to track over the next few years as more of these 14-17 guys make their way in to the league.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
The fact the Avs are so high during both time periods and haven't had much success really just shows how much we've surrounded our talent with terrible depth and old players. Thank god they seemed to have (tentatively) learned their lesson with only two players over 30 now.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Most of Nashville's drafted top players are defensemen, Josi (2008), Ellis (2009), Ekholm (2009), Jones (2013) so it hurts there ppg. Although they've done ok up front too lately with Fiala and Arvidson both looking like legit top line players.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I like looking at all columns. It's interesting to see how each are related or unrelated when it comes to certain teams. Lets look at the flames over the last 7 years...

Flames:
- 39 total picks (ranks 17th)
- 3 top 10 picks (ranks 6th)
- 19 top 100 picks (ranks 17th)
- 14th in Average pick
- 4th in Average top 100 pick
- 740 NHL games played (ranks 16th)
- 405 pts (ranks 8th)
- 0.547 pts/game (ranks 1st)

I think two stats stand out to me. 3 top 10 picks and 4th in average top 100 pick. This means they had a lot shots with lower picks and they did well with them.

Let me know if you disagree with any evaluations in the chart below

scwHUSw.png
Solid chart! The only things I disagree with/maybe disagree with are: Tkachuk should be classified as elite, and I'm interested in how you catergorized Granlund vs Baertschi in the '11 draft; I always figured they were roughly equivalent players (Baertschi perhaps being better).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Solid chart! The only things I disagree with/maybe disagree with are: Tkachuk should be classified as elite, and I'm interested in how you catergorized Granlund vs Baertschi in the '11 draft; I always figured they were roughly equivalent players (Baertschi perhaps being better).

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to create a black and white type chart to avoid as much personal opinion as possible. That's how I came up with the Elite, vs Top 9, vs NHL player. I was thinking of doing top 6 but I think this makes it difficult to determine on several players.

- I think Tkachuck is not at the elite level yet. He is definitely a top line or top 6 forward at least but we need him to finish this season and we see where he stands. Right now he is tracking to 31 goals and 60pts and I believe he needs to take the next level beyond that and to do it in back to back seasons to become elite level. It's an interesting debate with young players like this that are still getting better each season.

- Grandlund: I think he is a fringe top 9 player at the age of 24. An argument can be made that he is just an NHL player I guess but I have him as a top 9F. I think the opinions would vary on this one? Where do you see him?

- Baertschi: He's a top 9 forward. That was an error

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I tried to create a black and white type chart to avoid as much personal opinion as possible. That's how I came up with the Elite, vs Top 9, vs NHL player. I was thinking of doing top 6 but I think this makes it difficult to determine on several players.

- I think Tkachuck is not at the elite level yet. He is definitely a top line or top 6 forward at least but we need him to finish this season and we see where he stands. Right now he is tracking to 31 goals and 60pts and I believe he needs to take the next level beyond that and to do it in back to back seasons to become elite level. It's an interesting debate with young players like this that are still getting better each season.

- Grandlund: I think he is a fringe top 9 player at the age of 24. An argument can be made that he is just an NHL player I guess but I have him as a top 9F. I think the opinions would vary on this one? Where do you see him?

- Baertschi: He's a top 9 forward. That was an error
I think Granlund is a fringe top 9 forward as well, and Baertschi is a bit of a better top 9 forward, so we seem to agree pretty much on those two.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Interesting thread, I agree that our drafting between 2008 and 2012 has been absolutely terrible. On the other hand, Bergevin era's drafting has been mediocre at best so far. Here's hoping Scherbak will become something special.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->