Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I know we have all heard this before but...the finish line is in sight :bow:

This week's discussions were aimed at finalizing issues such as free agency, salary arbitration and rookie contracts.

Much of this week's work was in drafting the agreement, point by point.

"We had a very good week," Daly said last night.

The goal for an agreement remains July 1 but could stretch past that date, NHL officials said. The league would like to hold its draft lottery around July 11 and begin free agency in late July.

The NHL draft would take place in August. If time permits, the league would have a scaled-down version of the draft in Ottawa, where it was originally scheduled to take place. If not, it would likely occur in New York.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11983093.htm

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Did Daly specifically say the 11th is the target for the lottery, or is that the writers date?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
TheMoose said:
Did Daly specifically say the 11th is the target for the lottery, or is that the writers date?

The league would like to hold its draft lottery around July 11 and begin free agency in late July.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
:handclap:

We should finally know the answer to how the draft will be handled in about a week or so then.

i think that july 11th date is based on the target of getting the cba done by july 1st. there will be nothing official about the draft till the cba is in place.

Gary

RangerBoy said:
I know we have all heard this before but...the finish line is in sight :bow:

This week's discussions were aimed at finalizing issues such as free agency, salary arbitration and rookie contracts.

Much of this week's work was in drafting the agreement, point by point.

"We had a very good week," Daly said last night.

The goal for an agreement remains July 1 but could stretch past that date, NHL officials said. The league would like to hold its draft lottery around July 11 and begin free agency in late July.

The NHL draft would take place in August. If time permits, the league would have a scaled-down version of the draft in Ottawa, where it was originally scheduled to take place. If not, it would likely occur in New York.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11983093.htm

Personally, I don't know what the heck they're thinking...Why would you have free agency before the draft?? The idea I thought was to see what's in your system before addressing team needs. Say for example-The Bruins went and signed a guy for $3-$4mill and then find out they got Crosby? Dont make sense to me.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gary said:
Personally, I don't know what the heck they're thinking...Why would you have free agency before the draft?? The idea I thought was to see what's in your system before addressing team needs. Say for example-The Bruins went and signed a guy for $3-$4mill and then find out they got Crosby? Dont make sense to me.

what are they supposed to do?? wait till training camps open to let teams sign players?? they have to give teams time to put a team together...

and they can't put a draft event together overnight...so they can either wait and schedule something where crosby gets to go on stage or they can do it real quick as a conference call.

and you don't draft for current needs, you draft for a few years down the road. besides the team that drafts crosby, the draft has absolutely zero impact on next season because most of the players won't be in the nhl anyway...and the team that gets crosby will be more then happy to deal with the problem.

and if the bruins or any other team have so little cap room that they can't add a rookie for $850k then maybe they shouldn't be throwing out $3-4 mil contracts.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
good news for everyone it seems. Well, everyone but GKJ, because he has to find a whole new thing to be pessimistic about when this is all over.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Gary said:
First off, since the lottery would take place before FA starts, that scenario won't exist, and second, considering only a handful of players play right away, what does it matter? You draft for the future, you sign players for the present.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
My bet is that the transition windows with the buyout option not counting against the Cap will be from the date of the agreement until the beginning of the free agency period.

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
This is good news! The NHL/NHLPA actually told the media that they're gunning for July 1st! I just hope they actually announce it then, and not let it stretch past that date.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
hockeynut11 said:
This is good news! The NHL/NHLPA actually told the media that they're gunning for July 1st! I just hope they actually announce it then, and not let it stretch past that date.

You guys fail to realize that they meant July 2006... :cry: :eek: :sarcasm:

Feb 24, 2004
Give me a press conference with Bettman and Goodenow shaking hands.

Until then, just like the stuff on Eklund's site, I am not getting my hopes up.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
is this guy who wrote the article reliable? or is he of the Al Strachan breed? Or is this another THN type anouncement. Because this reads like "An Agreement in Principle has been reached" all over again -wether in fact true or not. And why is this not on TSN.ca? :innocent: :dunno:

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
I would imagine that things like draft date would be set along the way with negotiations. They may have several dates worked out depending on where they were with negotiations.

Say the lottery is held a week after the CBA is announced, free agency 2 weeks, the draft 1 month after, and training camp right on time.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
leafs4thecup said:
Give me a press conference with Bettman and Goodenow shaking hands.

Until then, just like the stuff on Eklund's site, I am not getting my hopes up.

I prefer choking each other sensless, but hey, each to their own :D

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
London Knights said:
I would imagine that things like draft date would be set along the way with negotiations. They may have several dates worked out depending on where they were with negotiations.

Say the lottery is held a week after the CBA is announced, free agency 2 weeks, the draft 1 month after, and training camp right on time.

yeah they will figure out all these details during negotiations and they will know the date when the cba is announced but that doesn't change the fact that if you say the draft will be held 3 weeks after the cba is signed that all you have done is narrow down the date for the draft between 3 weeks from today to 3 weeks from never...

they can set target dates but if things take longer then hoped those will have to change

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
NYR469 said:
yeah they will figure out all these details during negotiations and they will know the date when the cba is announced but that doesn't change the fact that if you say the draft will be held 3 weeks after the cba is signed that all you have done is narrow down the date for the draft between 3 weeks from today to 3 weeks from never...

they can set target dates but if things take longer then hoped those will have to change

That's exactly what they will have though. Setting the draft in stone for August 6th isn't likely because one snag can have them still in a lockout into August. So they may have something like that set as a potential draft date, but they will have a sliding algorithm much like with the cancellation of the schedule when the "season" was still on.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
quick question since it seems like bettman and goodenow are more at odds here then they were in 95
do u think that there gonan do the whole putting on the NHL hat and NHLPA hats and huge press conference with all smiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->