Post-Game Talk: NHL Draft - Day 2 - Part II

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I mean I don't think there is a such thing as a "can't miss" prospect at all. Hell we've seen #1OA bust. From the years 2000 to 2009 only 35% of 2nd round pick played 100+ games in the NHL. If odds are low to begin with, why not take a gamble on a higher skill guy and if he hits the payoff is probably more significant. Drafting high floor guess isn't going to increase the probability that they make the NHL.

It appears to be a matter of drafting philosophy here. I feel like the team is a bit risk averse (Ironic considering where they took Senyshyn). In general, their picks seem to bear this out. This would be fine, and in princple I have no problem with it- in a vacuum. But if this is the way they go, then dammit they better improve their pro scouting and talent acquisition side.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He wasn't on their radar because he was a 2nd year draft eligible player and wasn't a serious prospects last year. Kind of curious to see what 2nd year drat eligible player has gone the highest in the draft.

He also went on to say:

"How many other teams were seriously on Lohrei there, and with some highly-regarded first-year draft players still on the board like Will Cuylle, Daemon Hunt, Ty Smilanic, Jean-Luc Foudy, Jeremie Poirier and even local prep star D Ian Moore, the decision to spend the first pick on Lohrei was a curious one"

Of course. I am not arguing that he was not an outlier pick, just that it probably wasn't as wild a shot in the dark as some are painting it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It appears to be a matter of drafting philosophy here. I feel like the team is a bit risk averse (Ironic considering where they took Senyshyn). In general, their picks seem to bear this out. This would be fine, and in princple I have no problem with it- in a vacuum. But if this is the way they go, then dammit they better improve their pro scouting and talent acquisition side.

As I said in my originoal post, I'm ok with take high floor guys, but they need a better balance of floor vs ceiling guys. When you keep drafting floor, floor, floor, you get a prospect pool like we have. DeBrusk is a top 6 fwd and Studnicka has true top 6 upside. Then you have those middle six guys, but their more likely a 3rd liner than 2nd liner. So 2 FWD have been drafted since 2015 with top 6 upside and we've selected 18 forwards (not including this draft). The type of players that make a top 6 are skill guys (aka high ceiling guys). You're not going to find many of those taking low floor guys.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Its hard to make trades.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
As I said in my originoal post, I'm ok with take high floor guys, but they need a better balance of floor vs ceiling guys. When you keep drafting floor, floor, floor, you get a prospect pool like we have. DeBrusk is a top 6 fwd and Studnicka has true top 6 upside. Then you have those middle six guys, but their more likely a 3rd liner than 2nd liner. So 2 FWD have been drafted since 2015 with top 6 upside and we've selected 18 forwards (not including this draft). The type of players that make a top 6 are skill guys (aka high ceiling guys). You're not going to find many of those taking low floor guys.

It's concerning when Sweeney reaches and admits to their likely ceiling of a 3rd line grinder or a "serviceable pro." He may as well just say "well he's in school to be a doctor so that's impressive. He's also a hard-working football player and doesn't play much hockey but he's a high character guy and has good manners. Fits the mold of our club to a T."

Reactions: missingchicklet

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
huh? lots of people here (maybe a majority) wanted Debrincat and were annoyed when the Bruins made the typical boring Bruins pick with Frederic who they then immediately characterized as a 3rd liner.

I actually think taking Frederic over Debrincat is almost as bad as passing on Barzal, etc and doesn't get talked about enough.
Wayne Gretzky could not skate fast and his backwards skating was terrible, thats what the scouts said!!! lol
Size should not matter.
Our philosophy should be to pick the best player available.
The issue I see is that our scouting staff and everyone involved in the decision making process of picking gets a failing grade, especially in the mid to late rounds or top 20 picks.
So what is Management doing to improve?
That awful ( sorry for bringing it up again) 2015 draft is coming back to haunt us big time.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
May be it is true , the second and third round choices have something like 10% of chance to be regular players in Nhl ...but when you choose players ranked 275 and 475 your chances fall to 0,0000001 %

Reactions: BMC

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Considering the Bruins took four CHL kids before they took JFK, I'm not sure you're going to convince me that JFK was selected as part of an anti-CHL bias.
That draft seems like was the last year they valued CHL kids as much, after that they seemed to want NCAA types.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Oliver Suni wasn't drafted at all,had him pegged for the second round
Parker Ford I wanted late like rounds 6 or 7,he wasn't drafted either
8 months to the next draft!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->