NHL Draft Combine

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yeah I get that you listen to your agent. But the one who looks bad is Hughes. He was the only one to say no. He also refused to step on a scale or get measured.

If you dont see any of this as a red flag then I'm not too sure what to tell you. Teams dont want to pick players who feel entitled. Dobson just finished the memorial cup and not a peep was said by him. He cooperated like a normal kid would

Im willing to bet money on it that many GMs care about this kind of behavior and that it will hurt him on draft day.

Im praying that it hurts him enough to fall to the Rangers then. Theres players every year that dont participate in the testing because of their season ending late, I dont know why Hughes all of a sudden gets pointed out for it.

And if you think these guys jump in the weightroom the day after their season ends your delusional. Its beneficial that you take 3-4 weeks to rest your body.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
it was just reported that Defenseman Quinn Hughes "did not participate in testing because he injured his back earlier this year carrying the entire Michigan Wolverines team on his frail back"....no surgery required or additional questions needed to be asked at this time...thoughts and prayers for a full recovery!
It's a good thing Marody learned to lift with his legs then

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
when is the last time Cherry was surrounded by that many Americans?? Korea?? lol!!

Funnily enough Cherry said they weren't sure they were going to do the segment because there's so few Canadians. I hope he's still doign the show when all the projected top 5-10 picks are non-Canadians or mostly Europeans.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
[Tyler] Madden: [The Washington Capitals] gave me a piece of paper. It had a bus on it. And they asked which way it is going. It was one of those buses where you can’t really tell. I had no idea what the answer was. I threw a guess in there. I was wrong. They said if they draft me, they’ll tell me at the draft why I was wrong. I couldn’t really tell. Right seemed right to me. Then I started looking at the sidewalk and … just couldn’t tell.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
[Tyler] Madden: [The Washington Capitals] gave me a piece of paper. It had a bus on it. And they asked which way it is going. It was one of those buses where you can’t really tell. I had no idea what the answer was. I threw a guess in there. I was wrong. They said if they draft me, they’ll tell me at the draft why I was wrong. I couldn’t really tell. Right seemed right to me. Then I started looking at the sidewalk and … just couldn’t tell.
He's going to be so mad when they tell him it's because the door is on the other side.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

It would be funny if the Caps don't draft a player because he failed this test and the guy ends up being a star. it's a rather stupid question

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Does anyone have the link to all of the official heights/weights? I know one site had it last yr but I dont remember where it was or if they have it again this yr. TIA

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
It would be funny if the Caps don't draft a player because he failed this test and the guy ends up being a star. it's a rather stupid question

Its probably one of those questions where it wont hurt you come draft day, but if you answer correctly it shows the team that you are a quick thinker and intelligent. Im sure if he had guessed “left”, their next question would have been “why?”

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I would assume they don't care what the answers are. They're just interested in how they answer the questions.

Yeah. In a combine setting, i don't think it's any kind of "right/wrong" thing, so much as just trying to pry open a window into the mind of these highly prepped prospects. Throwing a curveball that puts them off balance and gets them away from their "prepared answers". To see how they think...how they react, what their process is, etc. You can learn things about a person by observing how they they deal with a puzzle they can't easily solve, or in how they go about solving it. That's all it is.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah. In a combine setting, i don't think it's any kind of "right/wrong" thing, so much as just trying to pry open a window into the mind of these highly prepped prospects. Throwing a curveball that puts them off balance and gets them away from their "prepared answers". To see how they think...how they react, what their process is, etc. You can learn things about a person by observing how they they deal with a puzzle they can't easily solve, or in how they go about solving it. That's all it is.

Yeah, Mark Yanetti of the Kings had a few interesting things to say about the combine and "fit." It's hard for teams to tell which players really fit anymore with different organizations, because all the prospects are prepared.

The quote (and article) are below; it's very Kings heavy, but it does have additional information too.

So, my only goal when I talk to a kid is just to learn what he really is like. And it’s not easy, because they’re trying to be on their best behavior, and they want to be all things to everybody, because if they don’t get drafted 19th, they want to get drafted 20th. If they don’t get drafted first, if they’re not what Buffalo wants, they sure as hell want to make sure they’re what Montreal wants. I think these kids are coached, and I think the interviews are so artificial, and sometimes I’m not sure you get a true view of the person behind the player, of what his makeup is, of what his personality is.

Team philosophy through drafting: Yannetti shares impressions on speed, skill, more - LA Kings Insider

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Funnily enough Cherry said they weren't sure they were going to do the segment because there's so few Canadians. I hope he's still doign the show when all the projected top 5-10 picks are non-Canadians or mostly Europeans.
that'll teach em' for being patriotic! Stupid old man markets his Canadian show for Canadian viewers pffft nasi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->