NHL Draft Combine

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ryan Pyette Retweeted
Don Cherry‏Verified account @CoachsCornerDC 5h5 hours ago

It was great to meet all the Prospects this morning.
All soon to be in the NHL

pic.twitter.com/hbZYBhWxCg
De4AHVqXUAAR_e3.jpg

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
David Fischer (Montreal draft pick) had an infamously bad combine interview day. He was the laughing stock of the NHL for one day. I read an article that mentioned NHL GMs were referring to him as "the idiot" to each other.
welp, makes sense Montreal would STILL select him!!!

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Dahlin almost 6'3 surprised me usually players are at least an inch smaller than common listings. Also Tkachuk and Kupari are taller than I thought.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
After seeing Hughes on HNIC. I'm no longer hoping the canucks pick him. I'm all for picking smaller guys, in today's NHL it's just fine. But that kid is smaller than small. Kid looks like hes 9 years old.

Add that with skipping the combine events. No thanks. No excuses. Everyone else is doing it, he should too. Doesnt matter if he just got back from the worlds. Really showed where his attitude is at.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
After seeing Hughes on HNIC. I'm no longer hoping the canucks pick him. I'm all for picking smaller guys, in today's NHL it's just fine. But that kid is smaller than small. Kid looks like hes 9 years old.

Add that with skipping the combine events. No thanks. No excuses. Everyone else is doing it, he should too. Doesnt matter if he just got back from the worlds. Really showed where his attitude is at.

Im sure he made the decision himself and wasnt influenced by whoever is representing him...

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Hes his own man. Funny no one else decided to skip out. Whoever influenced him, still makes him responsible for the action.

You listen to your agent when your 18 years old. Jeese is this kid gonna go down in history as “the kid who skipped the combine” even after he goes top 10 and has a successful career? I bet you care more than all 30 GMs do

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The rumor going 'round after last year was that Gabe Vilardi did not interview well. If so, it certainly didn't hurt his draft stock too badly.

I mean, it kind of did. He was heavily projected to be a Top 5 pick last year with some expectations of him going 3rd after Hischier/Patrick.

It was definitely considered quite the fall that he went all the way down at #11 to LA.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
You listen to your agent when your 18 years old. Jeese is this kid gonna go down in history as “the kid who skipped the combine” even after he goes top 10 and has a successful career? I bet you care more than all 30 GMs do

Yeah I get that you listen to your agent. But the one who looks bad is Hughes. He was the only one to say no. He also refused to step on a scale or get measured.

If you dont see any of this as a red flag then I'm not too sure what to tell you. Teams dont want to pick players who feel entitled. Dobson just finished the memorial cup and not a peep was said by him. He cooperated like a normal kid would

Im willing to bet money on it that many GMs care about this kind of behavior and that it will hurt him on draft day.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah I get that you listen to your agent. But the one who looks bad is Hughes. He was the only one to say no. He also refused to step on a scale or get measured.

If you dont see any of this as a red flag then I'm not too sure what to tell you. Teams dont want to pick players who feel entitled. Dobson just finished the memorial cup and not a peep was said by him. He cooperated like a normal kid would

Im willing to bet money on it that many GMs care about this kind of behavior and that it will hurt him on draft day.

Or perhaps the teams interviewing him have already asked why and will know his reasoning, rather than random speculation about "entitlement".

Reactions: derriko

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Or perhaps the teams interviewing him have already asked why and will know his reasoning, rather than random speculation about "entitlement".

Ah yes, HF boards. The one hockey forum where you cant talk hockey without people crying that you dont have the same opinion as them.

Why even come here other than to talk hockey, speculate, or throw ideas around?

You dont think it's a red flag that hughes didnt want to cooperate whatsoever during the combine? He was the only one. Given the information we have as fans, I think it's perfectly fair to discuss the situation.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I, too, come to conlusions based on nothing but speculation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ah yes, HF boards. The one hockey forum where you cant talk hockey without people crying that you dont have the same opinion as them.

Why even come here other than to talk hockey, speculate, or throw ideas around?

You dont think it's a red flag that hughes didnt want to cooperate whatsoever during the combine? He was the only one. Given the information we have as fans, I think it's perfectly fair to discuss the situation.

There is a difference between "why did Hughes not participate?" or looking at who others have not participated in previous physical testing and making up something about attitude.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hughes isn't the first. Memorial Cup kids have skipped before. Good on Dobson for going for it. If he had chosen to sit out, nobody would be talking about him or Hughes. Who cares? The physical testing is dumb, and the teams will have him weighed and measured if they want to.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hughes isn't the first. Memorial Cup kids have skipped before. Good on Dobson for going for it. If he had chosen to sit out, nobody would be talking about him or Hughes. Who cares? The physical testing is dumb, and the teams will have him weighed and measured if they want to.

Exactly, there is plenty of history of players who didn't test after recent play or injury/surgery recovery that people didn't make up something about.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Looks like Dobson played about 96 season/playoff/tournament games in the 2017/18 season. Hughes played more like 44.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
it was just reported that Defenseman Quinn Hughes "did not participate in testing because he injured his back earlier this year carrying the entire Michigan Wolverines team on his frail back"....no surgery required or additional questions needed to be asked at this time...thoughts and prayers for a full recovery!

Reactions: Legionnaire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad