Shl Vaxjo

6rd 172p (Chi) C Ilya Safonov 6’4 205 L Khl Kazan Ak-bars

7rd 204p (CHI) D Connor Kelley 6’0 190 R NCAA Minnesota-Duluth

7rd 216p (Fla) (Wallmark) C Jalen Luypen 5’11 165 L Whl Edmonton Oil Kings

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Tomorrow is the big day! (well Saturday is the big day depending on how you look at it).

I'll maintain what I've been saying for months now. Unless you get faller like Johnson, Wallstedt and Lysell will be the best options for the Hawks. At least one of them should be available at 11. Both have elite upside.

Really excited to see how this plays out. It's Christmas in July!

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
What guys could the hawks take at 11 that would make you throw up?

It’s such a crapshoot this year. I have my prospects I prefer, but honestly I could see any of like 15 different players they might take.

Lysell, Coronato, Sillinger, Wallstedt, Lucius, Johnson

^ Wouldn’t be upset with any of these

migi

Feb 25, 2015
You really can’t go off board in this draft if you are picking #11.

That said, Lysell fits organisational need and he might be the BPA.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What guys could the hawks take at 11 that would make you throw up?

It’s such a crapshoot this year. I have my prospects I prefer, but honestly I could see any of like 15 different players they might take.

Lysell, Coronato, Sillinger, Wallstedt, Lucius, Johnson

^ Wouldn’t be upset with any of these
Raty would make me throw up.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Drafting a goalie at 11 after you just drafted a goalie in the second round last year, seems like a waste to me. Hawks also have Lankinen who looks like a legit NHL goalie.

If the Hawks draft Wallstedt, I can't wait to see him play for the Hawks in 2027 or 2028....

I'll actually be disappointed if that's their guy.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The overwhelming majority of the time, taking a goalie in the 1st round is a waste.
There are plenty of highly touted goalie prospects that never made it to the NHL.

Scouting departments should have a rule about not taking goalies in the 1st 20-25 picks.

Drafting a goalie at 11 after you just drafted a goalie in the second round last year, seems like a waste to me. Hawks also have Lankinen who looks like a legit NHL goalie.

If the Hawks draft Wallstedt, I can't wait to see him play for the Hawks in 2027 or 2028....

I'll actually be disappointed if that's their guy.
I can't think of a single goalie prospect in the last 10 years that has the pedigree that Wallstedt does.

And as Mark Kelley said regarding drafting Comesso last year, you need 2 goalies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Also, someone who knows goalies better than I do needs to explain to me why I should be so excited over Wallstedt. I'm not seeing much difference between him and Commesso, to be perfectly honest. Commesso actually seems to be the more athletic of the two in watching their highlights. While Wallstedt takes up more net, relies on his angles, being square, and pucks hitting him.

I can't think of a single goalie prospect in the last 10 years that has the pedigree that Wallstedt does.

And as Mark Kelley said regarding drafting Comesso last year, you need 2 goalies.

Pedigree means shit until these guys are seeing NHL level releases and velocities. You aren't getting that in the SHL.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Look at the depth and age of our forwards. I still don’t want to see Nylander in the top 6 because we have no other options and drafted a goalie who won’t play for 3 years most likely. Goalie should be last piece to this puzzle. Also would be awful asset management given we literally just took one with a top 40 or so pick who played very well if I remember correctly.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Look at the depth and age of our forwards. I still don’t want to see Nylander in the top 6 because we have no other options and drafted a goalie who won’t play for 3 years most likely. Goalie should be last piece to this puzzle. Also would be awful asset management given we literally just took one with a top 40 or so pick who played very well if I remember correctly.
BPA. Always.

I'm pretty even on Wallstedt and Lysell so I'm happy with either pick. But if Wallstedt is their guy, they'll take him, and nobody should be upset with that pick.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
BPA. Always.

I'm pretty even on Wallstedt and Lysell so I'm happy with either pick. But if Wallstedt is their guy, they'll take him, and nobody should be upset with that pick.

If they wanted an elite goalie of his level that had then why didn’t they trade up last year when they could?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I wouldn’t even want a super elite goalie because to lock them up long term is a misallocation of resources.

huh? this logically doesn't even make sense...a misallocation of resources is when you have almost 8 million dollars tied up in players like Connolly and De Haan who contribute nothing beyond replacement level production...

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
huh? this logically doesn't even make sense...a misallocation of resources is when you have almost 8 million dollars tied up in players like Connolly and De Haan who contribute nothing beyond replacement level production...

What doesn’t make sense? What I wrote and what you wrote aren’t mutually exclusive.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What doesn’t make sense? What I wrote and what you wrote aren’t mutually exclusive.

the part where you say it would be a misallocation of resources yet don't quantitatively back that up...every win above replacement is worth a % of cap space and for it to be misallocation that would require overspending on the player given their actual production...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Aside from Tampa, who has won a Cup since say 2000 with a top 3 paid goalie? Genuinely curious. My guess would be not many teams.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
the part where you say it would be a misallocation of resources yet don't quantitatively back that up

I honestly don’t even know what you’re saying. With a hard cap, my opinion is that locking up an elite goalie long-term with Price numbers is a bad use of resources. You’re free to disagree with that, but to say it isn’t logical makes no sense.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
huh? this logically doesn't even make sense

I'm not sure how it logically doesn't make sense. Is Carey Price worth $5.5M more than Lehner? Was he worth $4.5M more than Crawford? It's a misallocation of resources because you are much better off spending that cap space on the rest of your roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->