Nhl Draft 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

otters44

Oct 15, 2004
What happens if there is no season. How will they determine the order of picks?
Will it be the same as last year, will they randomize it, or something else?

If you have the answer please also include where you found the info, thanks in advance.

Zetterberg4Captain*

If there is no CBA in place there cant be any draft.

Zetterberg4Captain*

They cant get a CBA done just for the draft. If they get the CBA signed its for everything!

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
If a draft happens with no season prior. IM sure there would be a full lottery to decide the order.

then it becomes interesting if they do that. Do they snake it? where they reverse order each round?

otters44

Oct 15, 2004
Ok. So if there's no collective bargaining agreement there won't be a draft.

Does anyone know the way they would determine how the draft would be run when they finally do reach a CBA?

My guess is that they would do the weighted lottery picks throughout the league, like they do for the worst six teams each norml year.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
cyrisweb said:
If there is no season played do a lottery with equall chances for #1 slot to all 30 teams. It's the only fair way.

It's only fair if it's a weighted lottery.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
If an agreement is reached soon enough to play this year then the draft will go as normal .If an agreement is reached after they will make arrangements to have the draft before the season is started using the order of the 2003-2004 season but
re-doing the lottery.IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Go Flames Go*

Rumour has it that after the NHL ****ed the Calgary Flames during the cup finals, they are considering giving them the 1st overall selection.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Go Flames Go said:
Rumour has it that after the NHL ****ed the Calgary Flames during the cup finals, they are considering giving them the 1st overall selection.
But I heard Calgarians like to get ****ed.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They're not allowed make trades or signings right now ... it'd be pointless to have a draft next June if there's no season this year & no contract, as half the fun of the draft is the trades & trade rumours!!

I agree with Don Cherry's comments that if there's no playoffs this year, there won't be hockey till at least 2006 as the owners won't want to give the players a full season of pay next year after losing their playoff revenues, so I think we'll know by Christmas whether or not there'll be a draft next summer......

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With the now advanced (45 day) cancellation of games, the showdown is heading for a drop-dead date around the end of November for the season.

After that, I suspect the NHL will word on their own agreement on a best scenario basis (phased in 38M Cap imo) and present it to the NHLPA with a take-it-or-leave-it scenario. Perhaps a March 15 deadline to accept (or slightly tinker with) the offer.

If NHLPA does not accept/agree, then the owners will supercede them and just completely disregard them. Players rights/contracts will remain in effect as owners will not raid other teams. A Draft, including unsigned prospects re-entering, will be established with a weighted order of selection and held in June, in Ottawa as previously agreed.

Teams would field their roster based on those who indicate they will play - with a shutout date for the year for those under contract who will not come. The roster would be created from Draft picks, AHL, free agents and current roster players who choose to play. Hockey resumes under new management rules with Training Camp in September 05.

And there is absolutely nothing the NHLPA can do about it.

As for rules: I'd like to see a 70 game season (or less), first playoff round best of 5, and some rule changes already under consideration that refs must enforce or lose their jobs. Mandatory sheilds. But this paragraph is for another thread discussion.

Go Flames Go*

operasen said:
With the now advanced (45 day) cancellation of games, the showdown is heading for a drop-dead date around the end of November for the season.

After that, I suspect the NHL will word on their own agreement on a best scenario basis (phased in 38M Cap imo) and present it to the NHLPA with a take-it-or-leave-it scenario. Perhaps a March 15 deadline to accept (or slightly tinker with) the offer.

If NHLPA does not accept/agree, then the owners will supercede them and just completely disregard them. Players rights/contracts will remain in effect as owners will not raid other teams. A Draft, including unsigned prospects re-entering, will be established with a weighted order of selection and held in June, in Ottawa as previously agreed.

Teams would field their roster based on those who indicate they will play - with a shutout date for the year for those under contract who will not come. The roster would be created from Draft picks, AHL, free agents and current roster players who choose to play. Hockey resumes under new management rules with Training Camp in September 05.

And there is absolutely nothing the NHLPA can do about it.

As for rules: I'd like to see a 70 game season (or less), first playoff round best of 5, and some rule changes already under consideration that refs must enforce or lose their jobs. Mandatory sheilds. But this paragraph is for another thread discussion.

Bettman is that you?

Old Hickory

Pavel said:
How would they weight it? It would be an unfair to go by last season standings. The bottom five teams would be stacked.

X0ssbar

kingsjohn said:
How would they weight it? It would be an unfair to go by last season standings. The bottom five teams would be stacked.

Take an average of the worst records over the past 3 or 4 years?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Pavel said:

Why do you think that? At the start of the 2003-2004 season who would have thought the Caps would have been one of the worst teams in the NHL? Who would have thought they would go on a selling spree and end up in the lottery and land the #1 overall pick?

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
kingsjohn said:

I was responding to a post that said the only fair way to determine the draft order was a lottery. My response to that was that only if the lottery we weighted in some way would it be fair. Can you imagine the outcry if Philadelphia or Detroit had the same chance as Pittsburgh or Washington of obtaining the number 1 pick? And after that how do you determine the rest of the draft’s order? How fair would it be if Columbus or Atlanta drew the 23rd pick? Any type of random drawing would have to have some checks and balances in it. Not just a 1 in 30 shot of being number one, 1 in 29 of number two and so on.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Why shouldn't detroit have just as much of a chance as Pittsburg? Why should Pittsburg get 2 high picks for one bad season.

Nashville has never had less than a number three pick, so I've never been a fan of the "lottery"

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hasbro said:
Anyone get the feeling Bettman might pull a Ewing with crosby and the Rangers?

I don't follow basketball, so I have no idea what "Pulling a Ewing" would entail.

Could someone explain this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->