NHL Draft 2005: Toronto? Good news either way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
tm said:
If I remember correctly, when the draft was held here (Toronto) a few years ago, it wasn't very well attended.
Very true, although the fault may have been with very bad advertising and promotion. I practically had to knock down the door to find info on how to get a ticket. Many people didn't know it was going on.

This current scenario would probably draw a lot more attention.

Personally I don't care where it is, though it might be more of a media/crowd event in a Canadian city.

I guess it's unlikely to happen in Thunder Bay. :D

Dogbert*

blitzkriegs said:
Sidhype is very much prevalent in Canada and Canadians know who he is. Not the same in the US.

Technically, Sid doesn't need to be sold to Canada, where he does in the US. The press is going to report all of this in Canada anyway, having the re-launch in TOR or OTT is redundant b/c it doesn't serve anything.

In NY, it will be a struggle to get media attention of a no-name 18 yr old draft pick in the NHL to begin with. Stories about the re-launch, cancellation, where the league goes from here will make the papers. However, Add in the Yanks, Sox, O's division race that is getting VERY close + the Mets, and that's a battle to get the attention the league will crave - a reason the NHL may shy away from NY. BUT, BUT you gotta start somewhere...

I agree with this... except you forgot a team in the AL East race.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
You'd have to have one hell of a marketing strategy thrown together in a very short time to draw the attention of those less than hard-core hockey fans for this draft. Fans like us are going to be drawn to it regardless; we know the big hype around Crosby (whether you believe it or not is another story) and the draft is one pretty good part in the re-launching of the NHL.

Where the draft is held, what kind of event you could make it into with this limited time, the talent on display; there's only so much of an impact it could make on those unlike us. The NHL has a big black eye; just because it's starting to heal and you put a little makeup on it doesn't mean it won't show through. On the scale that's being talked about here, I can't see it even with a brilliant plan behind it (trying to be as mild as I can here).

Baby steps. Feel free to insert any "crawl before you walk" statements or deviations thereof.

Markov79

Apr 22, 2002
Canuckastan
Visit site
Hold it in whichever city gets the first pick. Even a city where hockey isn't the biggest deal will care when they find out they get the "next great one". If the first pick goes to an established hockey town where recovering interest isn;t a big deal, than oh well. But say the pick goes to Carolina, San Jose, Chicago etc you will see alot of casual fans get excited over their team.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
With the First overal pick in the 2005 Entry draft held in Toronto...

1st pick the Toronto Maple Leafs select from the Rimuski Oceanics... Phenom Sidney Crosby....... :yo:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
From the article:

A lottery system has garnered the most attention, but the NHL's elite shouldn't count on equal weighting of the balls if this is the method that is agreed on to determine the order of selection in the first round.

A flat "no" is how one executive answered the above theory when asked directly.

:) ;)

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I suppose if it has to be thrown together quickly I wouldnt object to it being held in Toronto for simple logistics --however ,Ottawa has apparently said they would accomodate at a moments notice too ....

CMUMike

Feb 13, 2005
Even though I'm from the states, if we're going for the "phenomenal 18 year old" theme I suggest the draft be held at the Brass Rail in Toronto...

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
CMUMike said:
Even though I'm from the states, if we're going for the "phenomenal 18 year old" theme I suggest the draft be held at the Brass Rail in Toronto...

Toronto can draft Crosby while Gary's off getting a lap dance :yo:

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
fisher said:
Hopefully they'll still have it in Ottawa... I was really looking forward to it. I also really hope that they don't just throw us a silly All-Star game to "make it up" to us instead of a draft.

Yeah. I was planning on going to it.

Markov79 said:
Hold it in whichever city gets the first pick. Even a city where hockey isn't the biggest deal will care when they find out they get the "next great one". If the first pick goes to an established hockey town where recovering interest isn;t a big deal, than oh well. But say the pick goes to Carolina, San Jose, Chicago etc you will see alot of casual fans get excited over their team.

I agree completly.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Scugs said:
Money cares. Media attention cares.
It's going to get media attention no matter where they hold it.

If they're going to make an event out of it, have it wherever they can get space on such short notice and be done with it. Makes no difference whatsoever when most of the people who care are going to watch it on TV anyway. I don't see what the big deal is. There's no telling what kind of a crowd of fans they'd get anywhere with such a short time to do publicity and promotion. :dunno:

Ottawa kinda got the shaft here, if they can find a way to hold it there they should do so.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
It should be in Ottawa. They were supposed to have it, they are willing to put it on, they should have it.

cjbhab*

joepeps said:
With the First overal pick in the 2005 Entry draft held in Toronto...

1st pick the Toronto Maple Leafs select from the Rimuski Oceanics... Phenom Sidney Crosby....... :yo:

keep dreaming buddy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well it was going to be in Ottawa they commited it to us, our Mayor is on record that we are ready to host it. All the media in Ottawa is commited to it. I dont really think it would be fair to have it anywhere else. The irony of Ottawa once again losing out to Toronto would put this city in a frenzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad