NHL Draft 2005: Toronto? Good news either way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050709_203225_4952

Sources say Toronto, New York and Ottawa are being considered for what will be, in many ways, the game's official re-launch -- with Sidney Crosby playing the starring role.

I'd go fore sure.

This is actually great news. Obviously we all knew that the CBA would be completed soon. And this is confirms it, without actually saying the words "lockout over".

Searching for a venue to launch the NHL's comeback in short notice.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Sidhype is very much prevalent in Canada and Canadians know who he is. Not the same in the US.

Technically, Sid doesn't need to be sold to Canada, where he does in the US. The press is going to report all of this in Canada anyway, having the re-launch in TOR or OTT is redundant b/c it doesn't serve anything.

In NY, it will be a struggle to get media attention of a no-name 18 yr old draft pick in the NHL to begin with. Stories about the re-launch, cancellation, where the league goes from here will make the papers. However, Add in the Yanks, Sox, O's division race that is getting VERY close + the Mets, and that's a battle to get the attention the league will crave - a reason the NHL may shy away from NY. BUT, BUT you gotta start somewhere...

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
interesting story. ottawa and new york have been rumoured, but first i've heard of toronto.

i could spend a weekend in toronto !!!

Poddubny

Jul 5, 2005
On the Bench
Even if Ottawa was supposed to get this year's draft, Toronto would make the most sense now as it is probably be the easiest place to get a large number of hotel rooms, etc, at the last minute. And the location would be much more accesible for the media than Ottawa. There's no reason New York should even be considered, even if the NHL head office is located there. This event will barely register on the US sports media radar. Once NFL camps open at the end of July it's all about football south of the 49th.

Poddubny

Jul 5, 2005
On the Bench
SENSational said:
Wasnt it supposed to be happening here in Ottawa?

Yeah, the "original" one back in June. The NHL cancelled it, but I don't think they made any promises about doing something when/if this gets resolved. They should just owe them one next year, like the All-Star Game.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
What do you do? Do you hold the draft somewhere in Canada where you know you will get alot of attention and could make a pretty penny off the mini-event.

OR

Take your chances with the US where nothing is really guaranteed?

:dunno:

Poddubny

Jul 5, 2005
On the Bench
Scugs said:
What do you do? Do you hold the draft somewhere in Canada where you know you will get alot of attention and could make a pretty penny off the mini-event.

OR

Take your chances with the US where nothing is really guaranteed?

:dunno:

It makes nothing but sense to keep it in Canada. But after what's happened over the past 10 months, anything is possible now. It might also depend on whether a US network wants to be involved, but I can't see that happening.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Poddubny said:
There's no reason New York should even be considered, even if the NHL head office is located there. This event will barely register on the US sports media radar.
And the only way the new NHL can begin to register in a more meaningful way in the US is through exactly this type of exposure. Getting themselves in the media in the US, getting Sid's face on cameras in the US, getting all of the news associated with this relaunch on US media outlets, etc. is exactly what they most need to focus on. Sid doesn't need to by hyped any further in Canada. And coverage there will be to the point of saturation regardless of location. They need every shred of exposure in the US that they can get as they attempt to rebuild and grow.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed. The game needs to be sold in the US. Not Canada. It will gather media attention here anyways, and holding it in New York, on a day when the Yankee's don't play at home would gather attention for sure.

I'm sure fans living around the area would definately take the trip to witness the event, so it's probably the best choice.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
And the only way the new NHL can begin to register in a more meaningful way in the US is through exactly this type of exposure. Getting themselves in the media in the US, getting Sid's face on cameras in the US, getting all of the news associated with this relaunch on US media outlets, etc. is exactly what they most need to focus on. Sid doesn't need to by hyped any further in Canada. And coverage there will be to the point of saturation regardless of location. They need every shred of exposure in the US that they can get as they attempt to rebuild and grow.

i think the nhl needs to stay within itself and remain true to it's fans. growing the game is fine, but now with the lockout the nhl risks losing it's hardcore fans in both canada and the united states.

the nhl can turn it's back on it's canadian fans for only so long until they walk away too.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
hawker14 said:
i think the nhl needs to stay within itself and remain true to it's fans. growing the game is fine, but now with the lockout the nhl risks losing it's hardcore fans in both canada and the united states.

the nhl can turn it's back on it's canadian fans for only so long until they walk away too.
I disagree. I think it's going to take a heck of a lot more to drive away the hardcore fans in either Canada or the US. Heck, hardcore fans like us are itching for every piece of news to find out the second we can get back to everything associated with this game, and that's after being crapped on for a full year now via maybe the most disgusting labor stoppage in sports history. I hardly think holding a draft in New York is going to send any fans into a frenzied boycott of the league.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Hopefully they'll still have it in Ottawa... I was really looking forward to it. I also really hope that they don't just throw us a silly All-Star game to "make it up" to us instead of a draft.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
I disagree. I think it's going to take a heck of a lot more to drive away the hardcore fans in either Canada or the US. Heck, hardcore fans like us are itching for every piece of news to find out the second we can get back to everything associated with this game, and that's after being crapped on for a full year now via maybe the most disgusting labor stoppage in sports history. I hardly think holding a draft in New York is going to send any fans into a frenzied boycott of the league.

nor do i.

i'm just trying to convey that i believe the support for the NHL (not hockey in general) may very well wane with the canadian sports fan if the NHL doesn't take steps to cater to them.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
I really don't care about where the draft is held. The content is all that matters, but from a short term logistical point of view Toronto is probably an easier place to hold the draft.

There are more hotels, and it is better suited to the media access seeing as the major networks already have their crews in Toronto.

It would be unfortunate that Ottawa loses out on the draft, and I don't wish to take anything away from Ottawa, but the NHL might just be looking for the easier option to hold the draft.

New York can or can't make sense. It all depends on how thing are handled. If the people showed up to the draft in New York it might be a big deal, but if nobody shows up, how bad would it look for the NHL. We have now gone over a year without the NHL (technically) and if the big kickoff to the return is a non-attended draft in New York which is supposed to be one of your bread and butter markets in the US, the NHL wouldn't live it down for weeks.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
hawker14 said:
nor do i.

i'm just trying to convey that i believe the support for the NHL (not hockey in general) may very well wane with the canadian sports fan if the NHL doesn't take steps to cater to them.
I guess we just disagree then on both 1) the extent to which this type of action should be viewed as failing a certain segment of the fan base, and 2) the heartiness of the hardcore fanbase--in either country. IMO, there is far more good than bad that can come from holding the draft in NYC. For the same reason, I hope that Sid winds up in a large US market.

Or in Denver. :D
(Sorry, just my dreams slipping through there again.)

Poddubny

Jul 5, 2005
On the Bench
London Knights said:
I really don't care about where the draft is held. The content is all that matters, but from a short term logistical point of view Toronto is probably an easier place to hold the draft.

There are more hotels, and it is better suited to the media access seeing as the major networks already have their crews in Toronto.

It would be unfortunate that Ottawa loses out on the draft, and I don't wish to take anything away from Ottawa, but the NHL might just be looking for the easier option to hold the draft.

Honestly, at this point, that's all that really matters.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
I guess we just disagree then on both 1) the extent to which this type of action should be viewed as failing a certain segment of the fan base, and 2) the heartiness of the hardcore fanbase--in either country. IMO, there is far more good than bad that can come from holding the draft in NYC. For the same reason, I hope that Sid winds up in a large US market.

Or in Denver. :D
(Sorry, just my dreams slipping through there again.)

cool. mature and respectful disagreements are perfectly fine and natural ! :)

btw, i have the feeling that since the avs have had the luxury of 2 franchise players (sakic and forsberg), that the law of averages is going to swing the other way and denver will have no franchise player for 10-15 years, just like the habs and the oilers ... sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad