NHL Dmen Rankings #24

24th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So Provorov finally goes after piling a couple a solid years together as he enters his prime. Philly has got themselves a beauty on their hands for MANY years to come. Anyways just a reminder we are voting for the best dman atm, not two years ago, not two years from now, but NOW. Of course you can add many factors to your decision like how ya think thell do next season, their past performance DICTATING how thell do, offense ability, defensive ability, etc.

1 TB Hedman 82% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #1
2 NASH Josi 76% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen #2
3 COLU Jones 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #3
4 Pieterangelo LVGK 59% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #4
5 DALL Heiskanen 39% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #5
6 WASH Carlson 26% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #6
7 CAR Slavin 40% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #7
8 COL Makar 33% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #8
9 CAR Hamilton 23% 2020 HFBoards NHL Dmen Rankings #9
10 VAN Hughes 19% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #10
11 BOS Macavoy 26% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #11
12 SJ Karlsson 19% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #12
13 OTT Chabot 14% 2020 NHL Dmen Rankings #13
14 MON Weber 16% NHL Dmen Rankings #14
15 TIE Doughty/Theodore 18% NHL Dmen Rankings #15
15 LVGK Theodore 56% NHL Dmen Rankings #15 Tie Braker: DOUGHTY VS THEODORE
16 LA Doughty 27% NHL Dmen Rankings #16
17 TOR Rielly 19% NHL Dmen Rankings #17
18 PITTS Letang 15% NHL Dmen Rankings #18
19 FLA Ekblad 20% NHL Dmen Rankings #19
20 COLU Werenski 25% NHL Dmen Rankings #20
21 STL Parayko 25% NHL Dmen Rankings #21
22 SJ Burns 22% NHL Dmen Rankings #22
23 PHILLY Provorov 20% NHL Dmen Rankings #23

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Suprised dahlin hasn't been chosen yet. Is he really that far behind makar and heiskanen?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I'd take Suter over the vast majority of the players chosen (some of which are in the top 15:eek:). Absolutely ridiculous he's not even gonna go #24. Giordano should have gone higher as well.

Since 2018
Ryan Suter
12th in points amongst all defenders, while being excellent defensively. He also averages the second most minutes out of all defenders in that span.

---

This year Ryan Suter

Averaged the 8th most minutes, had the 9th most points, the 5th most assists while being great defensively. He only had 27 giveaways all year which is less then 70% of the list.

Had more blocks then Hughes, Makar, Doughty, Theodore, Rielly, Pietrangelo, Werenski, Hamilton, Heiskanen, Karlsson, Chabot, Letang, Ekblad from the list.....

Has had very strong possession metrics with 51.5 CF% last year and above 50 this year comparable to Mcavoy, and he also had excellent PDO as well.

Overall, I think age has become a huge factor when comparing players, and it really shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'd take Suter over the vast majority of the players chosen (some of which are in the top 15:eek:). Absolutely ridiculous he's not even gonna go #24. Giordano should have gone higher as well.

Since 2018
Ryan Suter
12th in points amongst all defenders, while being excellent defensively. He also averages the second most minutes out of all defenders in that span.

---

This year Ryan Suter

Averaged the 8th most minutes, had the 9th most points, the 5th most assists while being great defensively. He only had 27 giveaways all year which is less then 70% of the list.
Had more blocks then Hughes, Makar, Doughty, Theodore, Rielly, Pietrangelo, Werenski, Hamilton, Heiskanen, Karlsson, Chabot, Letang, Ekblad from the list.....
Has had very strong possession metrics with 51.5 CF% last year and above 50 this year comparable to Mcavoy, and he also had excellent PDO as well.
Overall, I think age has become a huge factor when comparing players, and it really shouldn't be.
Well said.

The case for Suter to be in the top 10 is air tight IMO, though I can imagine a reasonable argument for having him in the 10-15 range depending on what one values in a defenseman.

However, the idea that Suter is not even in the top 23 is a complete f***ing joke.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Well said.

The case for Suter to be in the top 10 is air tight IMO, though I can imagine a reasonable argument for having him in the 10-15 range depending on what one values in a defenseman. However, the idea that Suter is not even in the top 25 is a complete f***ing joke.

Agreed 100%. I'd take him over, Chabot, Hughes, Rielly, Provorov, Mcavoy, Theodore, Ekblad, just to name a few.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Agreed 100%. I'd take him over, Chabot, Hughes, Rielly, Provorov, Mcavoy, Theodore, Ekblad, just to name a few.
Imo this list is so botched it's not even credible. The problems all started in the 8/9/10/11/12 range when unproven rookies somehow got handed spots as elite defensemen. Since then the problems have just continued. This is no one's fault in particular, it's just my analysis of the list.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Imo this list is so botched it's not even credible. The problems all started in the 8/9/10/11/12 range when unproven rookies somehow got handed spots as elite defensemen. Since then the problems have just continued. This is no one's fault in particular, it's just my analysis of the list.

HF is obsessed with youth (that sounds wrong).

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
You’re 100% right. It is botched by heavily favoring the young guys (which is the classic hf go to move)

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
And it's wild that you say that because I'm assuming you're a Colorado (Makar) fan?
I am a big Colorado and Makar fan (just ordered one of those sick alternate jerseys with his name on it)

That being said, he is quite easily not the 8th best defenseman currently. I think experience goes a long way, especially for defenseman. Makar is still green and sometimes, like these playoffs, it shows. I have 0 doubt that one day he’ll be a Norris contender though.

Makar, Hughes, McAvoy, Heiskanen, Chabot and Provorov all went a little high because fans love to get excited about their young cornerstone piece even when the older less shiny veteran is still the more effective player at the time.

Reactions: Advanced stats

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, IMO this list is way overrating the new and shiny (Hughes is not a top-10 defenseman in the league, yet and neither is Makar) and holding onto the past (Doughty? Burns?), while underrating the actual top end defensemen currently in their primes (Provorov, Ekblad, Parayko).

So it's funny that Dahlin is still around - while someone like Klingberg is probably better now, he's pretty close to being the best on the list at this point. Although Suter is also underrated, and probably should have gone already.

Reactions: Paul4587

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Ellis was 9th amongst defenceman in PPG, has great analytics across the board both in terms of raw and relative numbers, and contributes on both special teams but somehow is barely getting any notice :huh:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Suter is getting up there in age, but it's still him here i think. The amount of minutes he can efficiently eat is absurd, and he's still one of those guys who you know could carry a lackluster partner if he had to.

I could definitely hear the argument for Giordano as well though. Whichever goes here, the other guy is next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad