Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
ddd_zps26c43ddd.jpg

Reactions: Beef Invictus

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Campbell was still worse. Shanahan at least tries to put up a flimsy pretense of objectivity. Campbell never even bothered to pretend he wasn't down with his buddies first and foremost.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Too Close to Call.

Shanny has been disgraceful this year (after I though last year was okay at the start of the year) His terrible suspensions on Keith, Hansen and now Edler have me wondering though.

But the Rome suspension will go down as one of the most bone headed decisions in recent memory.

JA

Too Close to Call.

Shanny has been disgraceful this year (after I though last year was okay at the start of the year) His terrible suspensions on Keith, Hansen and now Edler have me wondering though.

But the Rome suspension will go down as one of the most bone headed decisions in recent memory.

The Rome suspension was neither the responsibility of Campbell nor Shanahan. That was the period in between governed by Mike Murphy.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/06/nhl-takes-right-route-in-rome-suspension.html
Six days after NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman stood at a podium and said he wanted to see harsher suspensions for "certain conduct we want out of the game," Mike Murphy unloaded on Vancouver defenceman Aaron Rome.

The NHL's Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations gave Rome four games for the late hit that kayoed Nathan Horton with a concussion. It punishes the defenceman in particular, and the Canucks in general, but the aftershocks will be felt around the league.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The Rome suspension was neither the responsibility of Campbell nor Shanahan. That was the period in between governed by Mike Murphy.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/06/nhl-takes-right-route-in-rome-suspension.html

oh lawd, don't even get me started on mike murphy. does anyone remember when we played the kings a few years back in the playoffs? That's the guy that used to be a part of the kings organization and there was an interview before the playoffs had started and he had said how great it would be for the kings to win the cup. In that nucks/kings series, he is the one that disallowed sedin's goal by saying sedin kicked it in. There is so much corruption in this league that it is unbearable.

bleedblack93

May 27, 2011
LA
Six days after NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman stood at a podium and said he wanted to see harsher suspensions for "certain conduct we want out of the game," Mike Murphy unloaded on Vancouver defenceman Aaron Rome.

The NHL's Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations gave Rome four games for the late hit that kayoed Nathan Horton with a concussion. It punishes the defenceman in particular, and the Canucks in general, but the aftershocks will be felt around the league.
:laugh:

I know we're not supposed to respond to something with just an emoticon, but laughter is the only appropriate response to that.

Filiatron

Feb 18, 2005
C: All of the above. Final answer.

Too Close to Call.

But the Rome suspension will go down as one of the most bone headed decisions in recent memory
I Agree with both! I didn't Vote because there wasn't a 'they both $uck' choice.
It's too bad, I kinda liked Shanny at first.

While true, Campbell's fingerprints were all over the decision IMO.
Murphy was/is still below Campbell and after CC's notorious letters there is no question how ALL NHL staff are to treat his son and his team. What a joke.

Last edited:

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

The fact that they reached out to a current General Manager for advice on suspending Rome was bad. The fact that it was Brian Burke was egregious to a level I could have never assumed the NHL could reach.

That was the day the NHL became an absolute farce for me, and the league has done nothing in the interim to sway that opinion.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Brendan Shanahan, by the measure that he was brought in to supposedly clean up Campbell's mess, but ended up being just as pathetic.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Shannahan started out like a man on a mission to clean up the sport then capitulate by the end of the preseason. Pathetic display. He lost all credibility when he ruled Keith's elbow accidental.

At least Campbell you knew where you stood - either you had his son in your team or you didn't.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I Agree with both! I didn't Vote because there wasn't a 'they both $uck' choice.
It's too bad, I kinda liked Shanny at first.

Same, I thought he was doing a pretty good job at first, but as the season wore along it wasn't great, and I thought they totally dropped the ball on Keith.

Considering Raffi got 20 games (albeit after the Keith thing, but still) Keith should have aswell.

Filiatron

Feb 18, 2005
^ The Keith descision was terrible. I think the only play I can recall as nastier is Chara and he wasn't suspended.

Right now I think that BS just spins a wheel or rolls a dice.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Like it's really a question of Campbell's ruling vs. Shanahan's. Neither rules objectively and neither cares. They rule within the leagues guidelines; I refuse to believe two grown men in a row can be that hopeless at a job.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
It's hard to call. Shanahan is getting suspension happy and well Campbell that **** cost us the cup most likely. The team kind of choked as well.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The randomness is equal, but I like the video efforts where some kind of effort of creating inter-subjectivity is intended. The randomness is on the other hand just more blatant with the videos.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Campbell was shady and biased, and didn't put much effort into explaining his decisions. Shanahan tries to be transparent, but he's obviously struggling with implementing a clear across-the-board standard.

I'd say Campbell was worse.

oh lawd, don't even get me started on mike murphy. does anyone remember when we played the kings a few years back in the playoffs? That's the guy that used to be a part of the kings organization and there was an interview before the playoffs had started and he had said how great it would be for the kings to win the cup. In that nucks/kings series, he is the one that disallowed sedin's goal by saying sedin kicked it in. There is so much corruption in this league that it is unbearable.

Yup, Murphy is clearly biased for the Kings and against the Canucks. He shouldn't be anywhere near decision-making when it comes to these two teams.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
picked campbell...at least with shanahan's videos we can see the thought process that goes into a decision, whereas you'd get random screwjobs based on personal vendettas with campbell, the rome suspension being the pinnacle of them all

with the negotiation of the recent cba there was a real missed opportunity to create a neutral third party structure for player discipline...i know professional bodies love to regulate themselves but there's just too much potential for conflicts of interest and inconsistencies with the current system

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Maouth, glorious *******. That pic is a hysterical. :laugh:

Anywho, I initially thought Shanahan would be a breath of fresh air, and to his credited he did start out well. Alas, it seems he has gradually taken up the Campbell mantle. I have to wonder whether that is based on his own judgement on higher ups 'suggesting' more favorable outcomes. There were rumors abound that owners and GMs alike were not thrilled with his lengthily suspensions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad