NHL czar forgets lessons of NBA cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pretty good article, from a writer/media personality I despise:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/10771391.htm

In 1983, a time when the National Hockey League had no desire to emulate anything about the National Basketball Association, Gary Bettman was perceived as one with the potential to become like David Stern. As shrewd and astute a negotiator as they come, with the pedigree to be the quintessential nightmare for any players' union.

Back then, Bettman, along with Stern, the NBA commissioner, and Russ Granik, Stern's deputy, was in search of cost certainty, looking to stymie the huge increase in player salaries. As general counsel for the NBA, Bettman helped bring a soft salary-cap system and revenue sharing to professional sports, recognizing that it could one day lead to the collectively-bargained models that owners in both basketball and football enjoy today.

So what's wrong with Bettman now?

Stupidity? Stubbornness? Selective amnesia?

Pick one.

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
I like Steve A. Smith. I know he's cocky and all, which turns a lot of people off, but he's a good writer in general, knows about sports.

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
John Flyers Fan said:
He knows basketball. Other than that very little.
Well, there's no doubt about that. But he knows his stuff.

I don't know. I like the guy. I think he's funny.

And the article was a good one.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
Pretty good article, from a writer/media personality I despise:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/10771391.htm

In 1983, a time when the National Hockey League had no desire to emulate anything about the National Basketball Association, Gary Bettman was perceived as one with the potential to become like David Stern. As shrewd and astute a negotiator as they come, with the pedigree to be the quintessential nightmare for any players' union.

Back then, Bettman, along with Stern, the NBA commissioner, and Russ Granik, Stern's deputy, was in search of cost certainty, looking to stymie the huge increase in player salaries. As general counsel for the NBA, Bettman helped bring a soft salary-cap system and revenue sharing to professional sports, recognizing that it could one day lead to the collectively-bargained models that owners in both basketball and football enjoy today.

So what's wrong with Bettman now?

Stupidity? Stubbornness? Selective amnesia?

Pick one.

Meh....

Kinda early to judge Bettman's success or lack thereof in regards to what kind of CBA may or may not be negotiated *possibly* very soon.

Also, said journalist doesn't have all the facts in regards to recent closed-door negotiations.

Give him credit, he's writing conclusion-drawing hockey articles with limited resources in a hockey-less winter.

On the other hand, his article was a waste of my time.....

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ToeBlake said:
Meh....

Kinda early to judge Bettman's success or lack thereof in regards to what kind of CBA may or may not be negotiated *possibly* very soon.

Also, said journalist doesn't have all the facts in regards to recent closed-door negotiations.

Give him credit, he's writing conclusion-drawing hockey articles with limited resources in a hockey-less winter.

On the other hand, his article was a waste of my time.....

A few things

#1. Thousands of articles have been written regarding the lockout, negotations etc. EVERy one has for the most part been pure speculation/guesswork. Either that or just repeating pure NHL or NHLPA garbage.

#2. A big part of his point is that even if the NHL does eventually get a Hard Cap, will the damage they've suffered have been worth it ???

acr*

STEPHEN A. SMITH...never stops YELLING....ABOUT SLA-VA-MED-VA-DEN-KO...and the LAKERS...

I have to turn down my TV whenever he comes on

mooseOAK*

In order to agree with his point one would have to assume that the NBA CBA is working and it definitely isn't from the owner's side which is why they are headed for a lockout also. Maybe Bettman did learn something and doesn't want a repeat.

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
acr said:
STEPHEN A. SMITH...never stops YELLING....ABOUT SLA-VA-MED-VA-DEN-KO...and the LAKERS...

I have to turn down my TV whenever he comes on

LOL. Yeah, that Smith really tears up vocal cords when he talks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
John Flyers Fan said:
A few things

#1. Thousands of articles have been written regarding the lockout, negotations etc. EVERy one has for the most part been pure speculation/guesswork. Either that or just repeating pure NHL or NHLPA garbage.

#2. A big part of his point is that even if the NHL does eventually get a Hard Cap, will the damage they've suffered have been worth it ???

Under Bettman's plan the players get to wear 54% of that damage too. You have to wonder if either side is going to be happy.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
A few things

This is true.

John Flyers Fan said:

Nope. That was a very *small* part of his point. Also, he contradicted himself when he stated nobody cares about all the missed games. How is there any damage if nobody cares? Besides, it's a no-brainer. If the NHL were to obtain a Hard Cap, the damage done by the lockout is well worth it....

Actually, his point was that Bettman should be negotiating for a soft cap right now rather than a hard cap. The obvious response to that is: How do we know what Bettman's actual goal is?

Yet the writer passes judgement based merely on the tidbits of BS thrown to the press.

Anyone who knows even the slightest about negotiations knows that you always exaggerate your needs/price until just the right moment of compromise.

Ever bought a car? Ever been to a flea market?

A little early to pass judgement on Bettman's negotiating skills in regards to this dispute just yet.

And more than a little ludicrous to criticize a top professional negotiator's negotiation skills when you're a mere sports writer trying to negotiate your way through a slow sports day.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ToeBlake said:
Actually, his point was that Bettman should be negotiating for a soft cap right now rather than a hard cap. The obvious response to that is: How do we know what Bettman's actual goal is?
Great point. Although I would like to see a hard cap, I have thought all along that Bettman and the owners are willing to settle for a soft cap...or even a luxury tax with big teeth. But it would not work in their favor to say so now...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
wazee said:
Great point. Although I would like to see a hard cap, I have thought all along that Bettman and the owners are willing to settle for a soft cap...or even a luxury tax with big teeth. But it would not work in their favor to say so now...

Are they going to wait until March ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad