NHL considering cancelling 2005 draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
HockeyCritter said:
If raising the draft age to 19 is included in a negotiated CBA then it isn’t discrimination and the draftees will have little to no legal legs to stand upon.

Will somebody please think of the children?!

A Good Flying Bird*

Timmy said:
In the case of an 18 year old being pissed because he has to wait a year to play in the NHL, tough toodles. The spirit of the law doesn't preclude a CBA setting age limits for their industry, and the government itself does it all the time.

I wished I could have started driving at the age of 15; thankfully I wasn't allowed to. ;)

I don't care about the driving privileges ofa 15 year old.

I do care about the rights of an 18 year old adult citizen.

I mean, it might be legal for the PA and owners to cut him out.

But it's wrong.

A Good Flying Bird*

Timmy said:
Will somebody please think of the children?!

Man. What is it with people these days?

They love to tell other people how much they should make or that they are too young to work.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Newsguyone said:
I don't care about the driving privileges ofa 15 year old.

I do care about the rights of an 18 year old adult citizen.

I mean, it might be legal for the PA and owners to cut him out.

But it's wrong.

I totally agree with you on principle. I think it's less a big deal in hockey though because at least the players have options, and so they are not being forced into the NCAA slave system like football and basketball players are.

That being said, if anything like that horrible NHL/CHL/AHL agreement is put in place again, I would really hope that players and agents challenge it in court as an antitrust violation. These special rules put in place as favours for the CHL are ridiculous. The CHL is every bit as bad as the NCAA. If a player wants to play professionally in the AHL, they should have that right. The NHL does not run or own the AHL.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
HockeyCritter said:
If raising the draft age to 19 is included in a negotiated CBA then it isn’t discrimination and the draftees will have little to no legal legs to stand upon.

(Not disagreeing with quoted post) Come on, the NBA put the NHL "to shame" and they managed to ok this. The NFL doesn't let you draft 18 year olds. Just baseball (about to head into possibly the biggest train wreck ever seen) and the NHL. There is nothing wrong with increasing the age limit on the draft. 99% of players aren't good enough to leave junior at 18.

A Good Flying Bird*

Epsilon said:
I totally agree with you on principle. I think it's less a big deal in hockey though because at least the players have options, and so they are not being forced into the NCAA slave system like football and basketball players are.

That being said, if anything like that horrible NHL/CHL/AHL agreement is put in place again, I would really hope that players and agents challenge it in court as an antitrust violation. These special rules put in place as favours for the CHL are ridiculous. The CHL is every bit as bad as the NCAA. If a player wants to play professionally in the AHL, they should have that right. The NHL does not run or own the AHL.

Agreed.

I can see the problem in basketball, where 18-year-olds graduate high school and are suddenly making $10 Million a year.
But look at the NHL rookie cap.

Someone in the NHL must have gotten ahold of that "General Managing a Sports Franchise for Dummies" book I saw at borders last week.
Every single new idea coming out of the NHL seems to suggest that owners and GMs are afraid of their own instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad