NHL comparisons of top 50 prospects (2011)

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I love this type of thing, so hope more join in!!!
As im in the UK, I cant say I have seen any of these prsopects, apart from highlight packages and from reading all the scouting reports/podcasts etc

1) Best Skater :Ryan Murphy, I heard he can fly!
2) Best Pure Goal Scorer :Kucherov
3) Best Playmaker :RN Hopkins
4) Best PMD :Has to be the Swede, Larrsson
5) Best Physical Defenseman :Siemans
6) Best Fighter...that can actually play! :Not sure, but am very curiuos now.
7) Best Pest/Antagonist/Sean Avery :
Well I was impressed with the way Huberdeau seems to "bug"--maybe an ultra-ultra skilled pest

Great stuff...Thx Jonny. I love this stuff too...Not even the off-season yet and I am looking forward to the draft.

I'm anxious for the guides to come out. Rally like reading what ISS, and Redline and McKeens has to say and compare to what everyone here posts.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Great stuff...Thx Jonny. I love this stuff too...Not even the off-season yet and I am looking forward to the draft.

I'm anxious for the guides to come out. Rally like reading what ISS, and Redline and McKeens has to say and compare to what everyone here posts.[/QUOTE]

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
I don't think some of the "predictions" made here are very accurate. e.g. If Kucherov had the slightest possibility of being a Kovalchuk, he'd be #1.

But its just for fun...and as Im not a proffesional scout, I like to have some point of refferance, you know, so I can at least relate to "whos who"
Its a big help for me, someone watching from afar.
I dont think Kucherov will be Kovalchuk, but at least I can deduce from this that hes a offensive sniper, a Russian "marksman" etc...

What a team your SeaDogs are.
I tuned into the internet feeds quite a bit this year to listen in on fabulous Caps prospect, Stan Galiev, and gosh, also became a fan of Tomas Jurco, Zach Phillips and Jonathan Huberdeau.

What a kid JH is...In just about every game I listened too, he had points, hits, and an amazing ability to bring out the very worst of his opposition..(I bet no player attracted as many penalties as this little dynamo did!)
I was very very impresssed.
I am no way surprised that he flew up in the rankings. The kid sounded like he does EVERYTHING in a game.

Last edited:

GM17*

But its just for fun...and as Im not a proffesional scout, I like to have some point of refferance, you know, so I can at least relate to "whos who"
Its a big help for me, someone watching from afar.
I dont think Kucherov will be Kovalchuk, but at least I can deduce from this that hes a offensive sniper, a Russian "marksman" etc...

What a team your SeaDogs are.
I tuned into the internet feeds quite a bit this year to listen in on fabulous Caps prospect, Stan Galiev, and gosh, also became a fan of Tomas Jurco, Zach Phillips and Jonathan Huberdeau.

What a kid JH is...In just about every game I listened too, he had points, hits, and an amazing ability to bring out the very worst of his opposition..(I bet no player attracted as many penalties as this little dynamo did!)
I was very very impresssed.
I am no way surprised that he flew up in the rankings. The kid sounded like he does EVERYTHING in a game.

I'm just saying it's one thing to compare a player to someone with a similar way about them, but eh.. I just hate the "next" name game unless it's being done tongue in cheek haha

Galiev Phillips and Huberdeau are a great line. I'm particularily a big fan of Galiev. He Kusnetsov and Orlov are going to form Washington's team in the future I think. Should be a fun team to watch.

Huberdeau is possibly a Devils target, but we'll see. I can only hope.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
1) Best Skater : Daniel Cattenacci
2) Best Pure Goal Scorer :Joel Armia
3) Best Playmaker :Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
4) Best PMD :Ryan Murphy
5) Best Physical Defenseman : Duncan Siemens
6) Best Physical Forward with Skill: Mark McNeill
7) Best Two-Way Defender: Adam Larsson
8) Best Two-Way Forward: Gabriel Landeskog
9) Most Likely a Future Captain: Gabriel Landeskog

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Just got The Hockey News Annual Prospects' magazine...

Couturier: projected as 60-70pts pts 2nd line center.

Huberdeau: great hands...Patrick Kane comparison.

Jamie Oleksiak: 6'7, 244lbs...poor man's Tyler Myers...

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Just got The Hockey News Annual Prospects' magazine...

Couturier: projected as 60-70pts pts 2nd line center.

Huberdeau: great hands...Patrick Kane comparison.

Jamie Oleksiak: 6'7, 244lbs...poor man's Tyler Myers...

This year, a 60-70 point center was the 20th to the 10th top-scoring center. So unless they project Couturier as an absolute atrocity in two-way play, how the hell can they call that a 2nd line center? Way to go THN.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
This year, a 60-70 point center was the 20th to the 10th top-scoring center. So unless they project Couturier as an absolute atrocity in two-way play, how the hell can they call that a 2nd line center? Way to go THN.

The word UPside wasn't mentioned, but maybe this was about his...UPside.

So maybe he'll average 55-60pts and reach a peak at 60-70pts? maybe slightly more...

We shall have to wait and see! (sigh!).

Forecaster magazine: do they have an annual Prospects' magazine? not sure... 'cause it's also a good magazine. (I collect the annual yearbook every year!! love stats and just collecting them:nod:).

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Yeah, although this seems like a common mistake. It's almost like in projections, people still measure everything against the typical top 10 scorers in the NHL over the last 10 years, versus where current scoring stands.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins : Brad Richards
Adam Larsson : Prime Wade Redden with better D
Gabriel Landeskog : Morrow or Kunitz
Sean Couturier : Duchene? I don't wanna throw out the Staal comparisons because he will be better and less physical. I even see some similarities to Getzlaf.
Ryan Strome : Briere
Jonathan Huberdeau : Claude Giroux
Ryan Murphy : Rafalski

I tried to throw out a few that haven't been said a million times, only one I've seen a few times before is the RNH one but he really does play a close game to Richards. I think he will score more goals but still, they are quite similar.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins : Brad Richards
Adam Larsson : Prime Wade Redden with better D
Gabriel Landeskog : Morrow or Kunitz
Sean Couturier : Duchene? I don't wanna throw out the Staal comparisons because he will be better and less physical. I even see some similarities to Getzlaf.
Ryan Strome : Briere
Jonathan Huberdeau : Claude Giroux
Ryan Murphy : Rafalski

I tried to throw out a few that haven't been said a million times, only one I've seen a few times before is the RNH one but he really does play a close game to Richards. I think he will score more goals but still, they are quite similar.

Sean Couturier...might turn out into a Getzlaf or Duchene. If this is what some scouts say then I'd pick him 1st overall if I'm the GM that picks 1st.

I had a chance to see Mtl's Louis Leblanc vs Sean Couturier (junior league) but didn't get the ticket last minute...I regret it now! would have loved to see how Couturier plays live.

WhoIsGuyIncognito

Mar 22, 2011
Prague, Czech
Jaskin - More aggressive, little less skilled Voracek. These two players possess very similiar skillset, but have different playing stile. While Jaskin is a good passer he has a goal scorer mentality, goes to the net everytime possible, doesnt spend much time in corners. He plays very aggressive game, always trying to finish a check or land a big hit. Also, contrary to information you can find about him online, he is about 6'3 and can potentially become very strong player (he is already very strong for his age and position without much weight training, he is definitely naturally strong player.)
Has great work ethic, plays with fire and is very coachable.

Young Danny Heatley (not that good obviously) would also be a good comparison.

brewski1810

Jul 12, 2010
My comparisons based on people I've spoken to, articles read, discussions had, videos watched, etc...

1-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins : Joe Sakic type
2-Adam Larsson : Nicklas Lidstrom-Lite
3-Gabriel Landeskog : Dustin Brown
4- Sean Couturier : More offensive Jordan Staal
5-Ryan Strome : Jason Spezza
6-Jonathan Huberdeau: Pavel Datsyuk type but maybe less defense
7-Dougie Hamilton :Shea Weber type
8-Ryan Murphy : Lubomir Visnovsky
9-Duncan Siemens : Brent Burns
10-Mark McNeil :Ryan Kesler
12-Mika Zibanejad : more physical Ryan Getzlaf
14-Joel Armia : Alex Kovalev
15-Jamie Oleksiak : Tyler Myers type
16-Ty Rattie : Mason Raymond
17-Sven Bartschi : Zach Parise lite
18-Tyler Biggs : A poor-man's Milan Lucic, or Mike Grier
19-Nicklas Jensen : Marian Hossa
20-Vladislav Namestnikov : Nik Zherdev
21-JT Miller : Jeff Carter
22-Jonas Brodin: Ryan Suter type but less offense
23-Matt Puempel: Brad Boyes
28-Alexander Khoklachev: This years version of Jacob Josefson, could potentially be a Zetterberg, great skill, great set
31-Tomas Jurco: Ales Hemsky
36-Oscar Klefbom: Dustin Byfuglien
37-Rocco Grimaldi: Marty St. Louis
43-Joel Edmundson: Mike Komisarek
49-Victor Rask: Mikko Koivu but with alot of issues
50-Nikita Kucherov: Potential Ilya Kovalchuk

All comparisons are obviously what their ceiling could be in my opinion.

ty rattie does not possess the same speed as mason raymond, watched him play for years growing up, but he does have better pure scoring instincts, portland misused him slightly as the setup man for bartashi, i think patrick sharp or phil kessel are better comparables,(that is of course if he can make the jump in his game)

mark mcNeil seems more like jason arnott to me

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have just gone back manually to some discussions about the 2010 draft. I didn't watch nearly as many players back then, but hell I was actually pretty accurate with lots of what I had to say.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Pretty bad here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=638014

This guy rips on Corey Perry:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=462377&postcount=8

Not everyone but a lot of people said Nash was/would be better than Ovechkin here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=35607

These guys weren't too bad with Parise:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=40108

This guy correctly predicted the scoring totals of Michael Ryder, Zherdev, Dustin Brown, although he was like 3/10
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=47645

This guy was pretty good with Sjostrom:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2498811&postcount=14

This guy, actually most of the guys in that thread, were correct with Mike Richards:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2558952&postcount=20

A lot of people underestimating Shea Weber:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=142767

Keep in mind this is all random threads I've been looking through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad