NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman On Legal Sports Betting | CNBC

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Didn't view the video but just want to say if anyone in the league was being both smart and honest they would love tons of people betting on the games. The major reason the NFL is so ridiculously popular is gambling, and arguably the second biggest sports event in the US March Madness is entirely fueled by gambling. The thing about potential match fixing is that with things legalized being able to pull it off without getting caught would be pretty much impossible. There would be a direct trail to everyone involved.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Given who I rooted for before the Sabres and his role in murdering that team if you could harvest the sheer visceral hatred I have of Bettman and turn it into renewable energy you would have enough to power the entire planet for at least the next thousand years.

Apr 1, 2010
Like him or Hate him if you look and listen objectively you will realise he is a very smart man. If he seems like a greasy weasel it's because 99.9% of the time he is just too damn smart to get painted into a corner.
Ron McLean has grilled him hard in a few interviews and Bettman would not get trapped. The League under his guidance is in a pretty good place all things considered.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBB24

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don;t feel like watching the video, someone give me some cliffs.

NHL not bothered by broader sports betting, looking at how they can license broader sets of live in-game data to betting companies for in game bets, including puck and player tracking, use betting to drive interest. Would prefer Congress establish one unified set of national regulations rather than having to deal with 20+ state regulatory schemes. Not worried about players or integrity of the game.

Reactions: roflstomper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad