NHL.com Super 16 No. 1 picks since 1980

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
When Kane was drafted in 2007 I don't think a single person would have predicted that he'd become the best American born player of all time.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not sure how you can say this so confidently. Nearly identical ppg except one guy did it consistently for somewhere around 1000 more games. Matthew's is the shiny new toy but throwing sundin under the bus to pump him up makes no sense in anyway.
Unless you know the players. Mats numbers as a Nordique distort his overall career production. He produced very well with Forsberg and the gang and then became a point a game player. Mats like Matthews played with guys who weren't necessarily first liner but Mats did so at a lower rate of production and was never a threat for a major piece of hardware. Matthews is a perennial Richard threat, even Oiler fans will admit that.

Mats was a very good player, Matthews is a great player. I have seen enough games to know the difference. Matthews has already started rewriting our record book and is on pace to smash most of our offensive records (the ones Mitch doesn't get) and that include all of Sundin's and Matthews probably has not yet peaked. That is how I say it with such confidence.

The only thing Mats really could do better is his backhand.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Unless you know the players. Mats numbers as a Nordique distort his overall career production. He produced very well with Forsberg and the gang and then became a point a game player. Mats like Matthews played with guys who weren't necessarily first liner but Mats did so at a lower rate of production and was never a threat for a major piece of hardware. Matthews is a perennial Richard threat, even Oiler fans will admit that.

Mats was a very good player, Matthews is a great player. I have seen enough games to know the difference. Matthews has already started rewriting our record book and is on pace to smash most of our offensive records (the ones Mitch doesn't get) and that include all of Sundin's and Matthews probably has not yet peaked. That is how I say it with such confidence.

The only thing Mats really could do better is his backhand.
We will have to agree to disagree. Sundin played in the dead puck era with clutching and grabbing. Matthew's may do all those things you say but the only thing hes done better then sundin so far is tie him for goals in a season. 1 80 pt season so far, while sundin did it 6 times with 2 more just short at 78. Its potential vs what has happened

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Fleury is ranked where he should be .

Fleury has zero individual awards to his name. He's never been ahead of his peers in anything.

Fleury on any other team but the Penguins would have been an afterthought.

He was born on 3rd base and you celebrate him for running home.

Reactions: MD93

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Fleury has zero individual awards to his name. He's never been ahead of his peers in anything.

Fleury on any other team but the Penguins would have been an afterthought.

He was born on 3rd base and you celebrate him for running home.
Like he's been an after thought since he's been in Vegas . Fleury is ranked where he should be.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
He hasn't done enough to be ranked above Fleury.
What is your argument for Fleury above Stamkos?

Stamkos has been top 5 in points 4x with 2 of them being 2nd place finishes. Stamkos has been top 2 in goals 5x, with 2 rockets.

Stamkos all star voting is 2, 2, 3, 3 as a center. He has a 2nd place Hart finish.

Fleury was once 9th in Hart voting, 4th and 5th in Vezina voting. His all star voting is 4, 5, 6 essentially an afterthought at best.

Seriously make an argument stop with this bs

He hasn't done enough to be ranked above Fleury.

Like he's been an after thought since he's been in Vegas . Fleury is ranked where he should be.

Fleury is ranked where he should be .

Reactions: IamNotADancer

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Facts don't care about your personal feelings. As others have pointed out, Stamkos is an individually much more accomplished player in his position than Fleury has ever been.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Mario
Crosby
McDavid
Ovechkin
Lindros

The rest.

No chance for McDavid over Ovi unless its about ceiling. But if its just on ceiling and potential you also have Lindros way too low

McDavid can certainly surpass Ovi all time (he can surpass Crosby too) - but its a very, very high bar and way too soon to slot him there. He's #4 on this list.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
When Kane was drafted in 2007 I don't think a single person would have predicted that he'd become the best American born player of all time.

Definitely true. I wasn't even sure he'd go 1st overall. He seemed like a player that would be good, but probably had a couple things missing from his toolkit to be truly great, namely strength-in-traffic. There was some concern over his lack of size at the next level, and scouts wondered if he'd still be able to fight through checks in the NHL. He was also not considered strong defensively. I figured he'd be a good but not great player. A flawed scoring forward. Honestly, I had visions of Mike Comrie, not necessarily stylistically, but in terms of overall impact with offense vs. defense.

I was wrong. The scouting services were wrong. The Blackhawks were right. Turns out, if you can't catch him, you can't hit him. Unless your name is Matt Dumba. :naughty:

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
NHL.com has a hard on for anything Penguins related.

Just wait until they are handed the #1 overall pick this year .....
At that point the other 30 teams will start a new league . Bettman and Mario can just play with themselves .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Definitely true. I wasn't even sure he'd go 1st overall. He seemed like a player that would be good, but probably had a couple things missing from his toolkit to be truly great, namely strength-in-traffic. There was some concern over his lack of size at the next level, and scouts wondered if he'd still be able to fight through checks in the NHL. He was also not considered strong defensively. I figured he'd be a good but not great player. A flawed scoring forward. Honestly, I had visions of Mike Comrie, not necessarily stylistically, but in terms of overall impact with offense vs. defense.

I was wrong. The scouting services were wrong. The Blackhawks were right. Turns out, if you can't catch him, you can't hit him. Unless your name is Matt Dumba. :naughty:

To be fair, Kane isn't good defensively at all at the NHL level. However, he is so good at putting points on the board and has been able to contribute significantly to Cup-winning teams enough times that his play away from the puck isn't a big criticism when evaluating his career.

Reactions: BagHead

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We will have to agree to disagree. Sundin played in the dead puck era with clutching and grabbing. Matthew's may do all those things you say but the only thing hes done better then sundin so far is tie him for goals in a season. 1 80 pt season so far, while sundin did it 6 times with 2 more just short at 78. Its potential vs what has happened
Oh one of those guys who can't see talent past injuries. I'm sorry for your loss. And of course you are wrong.

Look up Austons goals per game or g/60. There is exacly one player in the league with comparable rates and he is challenging Gretzky's all time record . It's really that simple.

You may also want to look at the scoring of the day. Your "dead puck era" claim does not hold up. In Sundin's rookie season scoring was at 3.46 goals a game vs 2.77 in Matthews rookie season. I won't get into Auston's Calder or lower ice time/lower power play time or inferior line mates.

I suspect you are being sentimenetal or nostalgic. Both the numbers and Eye test support Matthews. That is why you are the only one arguing about it.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->