NHL.com Super 16 No. 1 picks since 1980

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I feel like Joe Thornton should be number 6, Lindros number 7. After that, the rest of the list looks pretty good, though I imagine some of the younger guys will rise up the ranks as their careers progress and they accumulate accolades.

Reactions: tiburon12

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
DAN ROSEN
1. Mario Lemieux; 2. Sidney Crosby; 3. Alex Ovechkin; 4. Patrick Kane; 5. Marc-Andre Fleury; 6. Connor McDavid; 7. Joe Thornton; 8. Dale Hawerchuk; 9. Eric Lindros; 10. Mike Modano; 11. Mats Sundin; 12. Pierre Turgeon; 13. Steven Stamkos; 14. Nathan MacKinnon; 15. John Tavares; 16. Auston Matthews
That's crazy to me. The only way I can make sense of it if his criteria was seasons played and cups, but what's the point of doing this then? And Mcdavid is too high in that case anyway.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Fleury is polarizing.
He's the top player from the best draft class in history (in terms of hardware).
But he's arguably worse than a lot of his contemporaries in his position (would you take peak Fleury over peak Price/Rask/Luongo?)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Stanley Cup participation award

It is literally awarded to people who participated in the team that won, so... yeah?

There is zero minimum threshold for individual performance in order to win the Cup. The only criterion for individual eligibility is participation.

Reactions: KidLine93

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
how is Lecavalier so low ?

Lecavalier was at one point been the best player in the league, yea it was short but a lot of these players have not done that yet.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It is literally awarded to people who participated in the team that won, so... yeah?

There is zero minimum threshold for individual performance in order to win the Cup. The only criterion for individual eligibility is participation.

There's a bit of a minimum threshold for individual performances in order to win the Cup as a starting goalie.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
how is Lecavalier so low ?

Lecavalier was at one point been the best player in the league, yea it was short but a lot of these players have not done that yet.

I've been a big Lecavalier fan since his Rimouski days and his whole career but he was the best player in the league for what, one season?

Took too long to get going after being drafted, was fantastic that he won a cup, but also ran into injuries too soon and finished with less than 1000 points. At one point he was looking like he would be neck and neck with Joe Thornton but just fell off the face of the earth.

Matthews for example has been in the NHL for 4 years and his career best would already rank as the 2nd best goal scoring season by Lecavalier and the 3rd best point total by Lecavalier.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's a bit of a minimum threshold for individual performances in order to win the Cup as a starting goalie.

Technically there isn't, because there is no number of goals that a goalie can give up and guarantee a loss.

I wouldn't try to make any kind of extreme argument about Fleury in general, but with recent Cup winners like Osgood, Niemi and Crawford, I don't think the position is exempt from the same factors as other positions. The Stanley Cup is not an individual accomplishment at all.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Fleury is polarizing.
He's the top player from the best draft class in history (in terms of hardware).
But he's arguably worse than a lot of his contemporaries in his position (would you take peak Fleury over peak Price/Rask/Luongo?)
Fleury's definitely being seen in a more positive light across the league since leaving Pittsburgh. Which is strange since 80+% of his wins and all 3 cups are with the pens. Can't imagine him being this high up on a list like this a few years ago. 2018 vgk run has a lot to do with it it seems.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Technically there isn't, because there is no number of goals that a goalie can give up and guarantee a loss.

I wouldn't try to make any kind of extreme argument about Fleury in general, but with recent Cup winners like Osgood, Niemi and Crawford, I don't think the position is exempt from the same factors as other positions. The Stanley Cup is not an individual accomplishment at all.

I think your issue is more to do with what Fleury, Osgood, Niemi and Crawford were doing when they weren't winning cups more than the minimal impact cup runs.

Fleury was actually much better the year the Penguins lost in 2008 than in 2009 when they won. Fleury was also pretty good the year he "backed up" Murray in 2017 when he won 9 of the 16 games.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think your issue is more to do with what Fleury, Osgood, Niemi and Crawford were doing when they weren't winning cups more than the minimal impact cup runs.

Fleury was actually much better the year the Penguins lost in 2008 than in 2009 when they won. Fleury was also pretty good the year he "backed up" Murray in 2017 when he won 9 of the 16 games.

Exactly! His best performance as an individual is unimportant when it comes to the Cup. He didn't participate on the right team that year. For some players, that is the story of their entire career. For some, it's the opposite.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Super 16: No. 1 picks in NHL Draft since 1980

1) Mario Lemieux

2) Sidney Crosby

3) Alex Ovechkin

4) Connor McDavid

5) Patrick Kane

6) Mike Modano

7) Dale Hawerchuk

8) Eric Lindros

9) Joe Thornton

10) Mats Sundin

11) Marc-Andre Fleury

12) Steven Stamkos

13) Nathan MacKinnon

14) Auston Matthews

15) Pierre Turgeon

16) Vincent Lecavalier

This list makes no sense at all.

Is it best talent? If so Lindros should be higher, as should Mackinnon and Matthews.
Is it best career? If so - how in the world do you have Matthews or even Mack above Turgeon, and even Lecavalier? Matthews especially - he hasn't won anything yet

Is it "this is our prediction as to how they rank all-time when they retire", while being a bit conservative on expectations for the young guys (Mack/Matthews)? I think this is the most logical based on the list - but if that's the case Modano and Hawerchuk have no place being above Lindros and Thornton imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad