NHL.com sucks, right?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I stopped using the site and mobile app. I largely use theScore and The Athletic apps, and Natural Stat Trick for desktop.

Even if they’ve made improvements I’m just so used to not using it at this point.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
NHL.com is atrocious for stats, too; the app as well. Particularly the box score page – no power-play or shorthanded time for individual players, for example, and you can't even see the entire stats line for a player at a single glance – not even on a huge desktop monitor! You have to scroll all the time to get to see elementary data.

Inexcusable and painfully amateurish. :mad: The old-design site was better in every way.

Some time ago, I complained about this, via Twitter, to Don La Greca of the Game Misconduct podcast, and he "rebutted" me in one of the episodes. I'll post the audio of his reply to this thread one day. It boiled down to this: folks who are happy with the new NHL.com don't post about it on the Internet. In threads like these, it's mostly only unhappy folks who voice their anger. And I am very upset with the abomination that is the new NHL.com. At least the streaming and highlights work fine, but the standings page is a mess, too (both on the site and in the app).

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Yes, their videos never load half the time and I think they’re still using flash for the desktop version.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Yes, their videos never load half the time and I think they’re still using flash for the desktop version.

I much more prefer the INFOLINKS adds on HF that pop up on my screen and block 30-40 percent of the view oh about every 30 seconds . For about 2 months now . Yes I have messaged to the powers multiple times with no change .

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I have no idea why so many people think nhl.com it's terrible. Now, the only features I ever use are the stats page, standings and occasionally check out the boxscore of ongoing games. The stats page has tons of filterable options, it's great.

For hardcore fans / betting purposes, the site should have as easy as possible access to:

-list of game results by team X in a match (the old nhl.com had direct links / popups, the new nhl.com does not have a list of previous games by team, at all)
-previews / expected line-ups (the new nhl.com is slow as f*** even with this)

The old site:

-had more info
-was 9000x faster
-had better design for the PC

The current website is a part of the modern fad of "flat UI" -websites, that have been made for the moronic phone users. For the random morons who just visit for 10seconds.

If you would care to actually compare the current site to the old one, you would know that the old one was much, much, much better

The actual info on the stat-site is irrelevant, they could've put that in the old stat-site.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For hardcore fans / betting purposes, the site should have as easy as possible access to:

-list of game results by team X in a match (the old nhl.com had direct links / popups, the new nhl.com does not have a list of previous games by team, at all)
-previews / expected line-ups (the new nhl.com is slow as **** even with this)

The old site:

-had more info
-was 9000x faster
-had better design for the PC

The current website is a part of the modern fad of "flat UI" -websites, that have been made for the moronic phone users. For the random morons who just visit for 10seconds.

If you would care to actually compare the current site to the old one, you would know that the old one was much, much, much better

The actual info on the stat-site is irrelevant, they could've put that in the old stat-site.

Going years back if I recall correctly NHL fans were always ahead of the other big 4 fans in terms of technology use, so wouldn't be surprised if a lot of use is still on desktop.

But yes to pile it on using Firefox myself I noticed for the last year that having the score page open during game time is a memory leak. Leave a tab open and unattended for an hour or two and next thing you know it's using a gig of RAM and just continues to keep growing.

Reactions: rbochan

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Going years back if I recall correctly NHL fans were always ahead of the other big 4 fans in terms of technology use, so wouldn't be surprised if a lot of use is still on desktop.

But yes to pile it on using Firefox myself I noticed for the last year that having the score page open during game time is a memory leak. Leave a tab open and unattended for an hour or two and next thing you know it's using a gig of RAM and just continues to keep growing.

If you want to have a really, really bad time, open every single live "gamecenter" -page of every live game at the same time

Each of them has a moronic "live update" function, and it's the worst drag on computer/phone performance I have seen.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I like how they are trying to drive everyone insane with the chopped up commercial blockers.

"Now that's a celebration"

"Brittany Spears"

"Hi this is John Tortorella and I'm on a conference call"

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
The website is used by people who don't know they have better options, the website is run by people who hate those people.

Do tell me the better options?

Every single site I've tested sucks balls compared to the old nhl.com

None of them have as good a list of past games of team X in the next match

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Agree and disagree. I absolutely loved their videos back in the day because you could easily watch every goal a player scored for seasons on end in short 30 second clips with periodic commercials. Now you can’t do that and it’s way more difficult to navigate and you have commercials left, right and center. Big time step down when they changed it a few years ago.

I will say though, the depth of their statistics section and the way you can manipulate the dates and etc is unbelievable. No one else can touch that aspect of their website, hope it never changes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like the stats interface. I wish they had a larger set of data domains, and I could pull more detail especially in the per game, and per 82 game categories. Overall, though, it's easy to use and there's quite a bit of great data. It didn't used to be that way. It used to be very hard to pull insightful data out of nhl.com reports. They've gotten better. And the interface has improved. It's behind the times, but it's free and it's for fans just playing around on it. You don't have to buy a business license and this isn't being sold as data insights for companies or anything. It's a nice little freebie for the fans, I think.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
I would love to slap the project lead of that site right in the face. One developer to another. It's mind blowing how bad it is, especially for a business as large as the nhl.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm sick of the self-promoting ads before most videos. Now it's a 15-second silent ad for Hispanic Heritage Month, and i get it before watching every single 30-second goal highlight. I really dont understand it. If they want to promote Hispanic Heritage, how about a banner ad? Their own ads don't even generate revenue.....

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The app is terrible and they’ve taken away a lot of the good features they had in the past.

nhl.tv is also terrible if we are whinging about all things nhl. It was better in 2013 than it is currently.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Man I used to spend hours on that old site in high school looking at stats and commenting on the articles and game recaps. There was a certain charm to the site from its article headlines to game previews and recaps with actual content rather than cheap advert-filled clips.

They also had a great community set up where you had your team's logo when you made your account. Lots of good times on that site.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm sick of the self-promoting ads before most videos. Now it's a 15-second silent ad for Hispanic Heritage Month, and i get it before watching every single 30-second goal highlight. I really dont understand it. If they want to promote Hispanic Heritage, how about a banner ad? Their own ads don't even generate revenue.....

Lol- I complained about this maybe 5-7 years ago and it still hasn't changed? Used to be 2 or 3 different ads that'd rotate, but yeah- every hit, every goal, anytime you wanted an individual highlight- sit through the same shit again and again. 15 or 30 second ad for a 10 second clip. f***, do you even want my business at that point? I mean, I actually stopped using the site because of this- yet it remains the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad