News Article: NHL.com Sabres' Season Preview

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
SABRES 31 IN 31 - Inside Look at Buffalo Sabres
NHL.com is providing in-depth roster, prospect and fantasy analysis for each of its 31 teams throughout August. Today, the Buffalo Sabres.

The Buffalo Sabres are starting over after a disappointing season.

Coach Phil Housley and general manager Jason Botterill are now in charge, hired to replace Dan Bylsma and Tim Murray after the Sabres had 78 points last season, a three-point decrease from 2015-16.

Top Prospects

3 Questions

Fantasy Breakdown

Behind the Numbers

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Didn't like how dismissive the fat guy was at our playoffs chances. **** him.

His reasoning for his take that the Sabres won't make the playoffs this season makes sense.

The Sabres do have a lot of teams to jump over to get into the playoffs. While I hope they can do it, I wouldn't bet a whole paycheck on it happening.

So, if I had to make a prediction today, I would say the same thing.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

It's pretty silly to dismiss any team in the East right now in terms of playoffs, except Detroit and maybe NJ?

There's Washington, Pittsburgh....and then about 12 teams vying for 6 spots. Some will get banged up, some will get lucky breaks, etc.

Buffalo has a good of chance as any, especially playing in the Atlantic instead of the Metro. Buffalo could win the division. No juggernaut teams here.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I appreciated his candor. Usually these league-media types are all weeeeeeellll anyyyythings posssssssible, and he's just like, Nope.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So hearing a dose of reality makes you mad?

Seems like a common trait around here.

No, but hearing his dismissive, laughing attitude got me mad, and hopefully the team will be too.

'Dose of reality?' Notice, I didn't argue any of his points, just his presentation, so you have the wrong address for this hot take.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So hearing a dose of reality makes you mad?

Seems like a common trait around here.

My issue is that what he said was stupid. "Too many teams to jump over"

We aren't in the metro where two out of the three divisional spots are locked up with Pittsburgh and Washington.

There's no juggernaut team here that's going to get 110+ points.

If I'm handicapping the division right now, i'd say

Tampa Bay having a strong rebound season.

Boston/Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo/Florida all in one big pile of "teams that can go either way next year"

Detroit having a bad bad year.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
My issue is that what he said was stupid. "Too many teams to jump over"

We aren't in the metro where two out of the three divisional spots are locked up with Pittsburgh and Washington.

There's no juggernaut team here that's going to get 110+ points.

If I'm handicapping the division right now, i'd say

Tampa Bay having a strong rebound season.

Boston/Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo/Florida all in one big pile of "teams that can go either way next year"

Detroit having a bad bad year.

Four of those "either way" teams that you're slotting us with finished 17+ points ahead of us last year. So unless they're all eithering strongly one direction, it's pretty reasonable to conclude we have to catch up on a lot of teams.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Four of those "either way" teams that you're slotting us with finished 17+ points ahead of us last year. So unless they're all eithering strongly one direction, it's pretty reasonable to conclude we have to catch up on a lot of teams.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings/_/year/2016

Alot changes year to year.

Of the teams I listed (Boston, Ottawa, Montreal, Florida), none of them "improved" significantly in the offseason. Toronto added Marleau, but failed to address their defense, their biggest weakness, in a significant way.

Buffalo upgraded their D (Scandella, Beaulieu. Antipin) addressed their biggest issue (coaching), and have several young players (Girgensons, Reinhart, McCabe) who could take the next step in their development.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Much like a Toronto had to catch up to a lot of teams from the year prior.

It's a new year, ANYTHING can happen.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings/_/year/2016

Alot changes year to year.

Of the teams I listed (Boston, Ottawa, Montreal, Florida), none of them "improved" significantly in the offseason. Toronto added Marleau, but failed to address their defense, their biggest weakness, in a significant way.

Buffalo upgraded their D (Scandella, Beaulieu. Antipin) addressed their biggest issue (coaching), and have several young players (Girgensons, Reinhart, McCabe) who could take the next step in their development.
I think only Montreal and Florida are the shaky ones but Florida had a coaching change too, people under estimate Ottawa's coaching, Marc Crawford has been resurgent with that offense in the SHL and now behind the bench in Ottawa. Boston is still the same team that finished ahead of us and their core is still healthy and capable to play and as for Toronto, they still made playoffs even with a crap defense albeit a very healthy season and that's where I think Toronto could crumble.. if injuries plague that offensive core.

Either or, any way you want to look at it, Sabres have a lot needing to go right with them and wrong with other teams.

I don't predict playoffs this year, I haven't since the start of the off season even with our adds but I hope to see a crazy race for the wild card.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
It's pretty silly to dismiss any team in the East right now in terms of playoffs, except Detroit and maybe NJ?

There's Washington, Pittsburgh....and then about 12 teams vying for 6 spots. Some will get banged up, some will get lucky breaks, etc.

Buffalo has a good of chance as any, especially playing in the Atlantic instead of the Metro. Buffalo could win the division. No juggernaut teams here.

It's true there are probably 12 teams that could claim a chance of at worst a WC. The Sabres definitely don't have as good of a chance as many others.

The moves Buffalo made this off season should make analysts say "Buffalo has a chance..." and that's about it. Fans and analysts have no idea how a team will mesh. It was hard to imagine Toronto meshing as well as they did last year. Babcock, et al, meshed well with a bit of luck on the injury side and did well. Columbus was similar last year as well.

IMO it's nearly impossible to predict how a team will grow / decline year to year with the addition / subtraction of players. The safe bet on Buffalo is they are probably not going to be a playoff team again, but they could have a shot at a WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->