NHL.com has new proposal posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The last line of the proposal.

-- Union's offer of 24% across-the-board Salary Rollback for all remaining years of all existing contracts is accepted.

:lol:

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
Personally, I think the owners are being a bit too generous. It's still a good deal for both sides, but I think the owners could have tried for a little bit more.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting... the players get playoff revenue for this year:

Recognizing a shortened regular season with a full Playoff, a distribution of revenues generated from the 2005 Stanley Cup Playoffs to ensure that the Players receive the agreed-upon 53% of League Revenues.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
So they gave it to the union and an hour later throw it up on the website for the world to see? I'm very much pro-owner in this, but this reeks of PR. Don't see much for the union in it.

BTW.. payroll tax at the union's sole discretion:

PA: "We'd like a tax; no cap."
NHL: "Here's our cap proposal.. and just because you wanted it, here's a tax within it so teams pay extra to reach the top of the cap. No need to thank us."

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
shakes said:
so they want the cap AND the 24% rollback? Those owners sure know how to bargain.

I'm sure that's there as a negotiating point for the NHLPA... "We'll accept the offer but we're taking back the 24%..."

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
sveiglar said:
So they gave it to the union and an hour later throw it up on the website for the world to see? I'm very much pro-owner in this, but this reeks of PR. Don't see much for the union in it.

BTW.. payroll tax at the union's sole discretion:

PA: "We'd like a tax; no cap."
NHL: "Here's our cap proposal.. and just because you wanted it, here's a tax within it so teams pay extra to reach the top of the cap. No need to thank us."

I thought the same thing.. i wonder what's taking the NHLPA so long to reject it.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
shakes said:
so they want the cap AND the 24% rollback? Those owners sure know how to bargain.

You need that to bring the teams down under the cap. Or close enough to it so that they dont need to completely tear up their current rosters.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Burny said:
Max contract length of 3 years? WTF? Why?

To protect GMs from bad decisions, a la John LeClair for 5 years, Robert Lang for 5 years, Brian Savage for 4 years, Pierre Turgeon, etc etc.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
shakes said:
I thought the same thing.. i wonder what's taking the NHLPA so long to reject it.

I'm betting that it's a MUCH better deal than the NHL has offered in the past. I think that there's a good chance that the union knows it has lost, and will have to make a stand somewhere.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Chinook said:
I'm betting that it's a MUCH better deal than the NHL has offered in the past. I think that there's a good chance that the union knows it has lost, and will have to make a stand somewhere.

This offer can't be worse then the last offer by the league.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
jcpenny said:
Its the only way to start on solid base.

How? To ask for everything and give relatively nothing? They took the players 24% rollback, which was the NHLPA's way of reducing salaries instead of a cap, and added a cap as well.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I read the full proposal and the comparison to the last one.
Honestly, I like it. If the players walk away, they are fools. Plain and simple. It is not going to get much better than this. There is not much, if any, more that I see the league compromising on. At this point, they are just wasting away salary and careers. The league has made the specific framework they will take very clear. Don't like it? Go play in Europe.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Most interesting part of the proposal to me: League has option to eliminate Salary Arbitration mechanism in its entirety at any time during the term of the Agreement by converting age of eligibility for Group 3 Free Agency to 28.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It looks like while they've asked for club arbitration, they've actually liberalized player arbitration somewhat too. Now any Group II player can ask for arbitration once they come off their rookie deal (which are now four years.) A player could get arbitration until he'd been in the league five years or so before, couldn't he?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Scugs said:
You need that to bring the teams down under the cap. Or close enough to it so that they dont need to completely tear up their current rosters.

Sorry, you want a cap to lower salaries, then have a cap to lower salaries. Why should players who have existing contracts give anything up if the ownership is getting a cap. Gut the rosters then.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Got hand it to the NHL, whatever they like in the PA proposals they just throw into their proposals.

PA wanted a luxuxry tax instead of a hard cap. Owners use both
PA gave 24% back without a hard cap. Owners throw in rollback in their hard cap proposal.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
I found this one extremely interesting:

"The League proposes that players share in revenues generated from the 2005 Stanley Cup Playoffs."

That's from the side-by-side comparison of the last two proposals.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
craig1 said:
I read the full proposal and the comparison to the last one.
Honestly, I like it. If the players walk away, they are fools. Plain and simple. It is not going to get much better than this. There is not much, if any, more that I see the league compromising on. At this point, they are just wasting away salary and careers. The league has made the specific framework they will take very clear. Don't like it? Go play in Europe.
That's exactly my feeling on this, the stupid players never had leverge to begin with and now if there is no season do they really expect to have any more than what they didn't have going into next fall. The owners position will only get stronger from this inevtiable cancellation, the players have to know this or they really are clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->