NHL.com Game of the Decade: Game 7 vs Boston 2013

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
That’s great why don’t you make your complaints directly to NHL.com. You’re quite compelling

I don't particularly care what NHL.com thinks. I'm more interested in the definition of "unprecedented", given it seems to play a large role in why you feel this qualifies.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
The Oilers blew a 3 goal lead with less than 4 minutes left in the game (3:17 to be exact) and went on to lose in OT versus Anaheim in the playoffs.

Game of the Decade, I tells ya!

"The most emotionally riveting game of the past two decades for Leafs fans."

It was "desperate for a taste of playoffs" Leafs fans getting their first taste of being sh*t on by the big bad Bruins, starting a complex of insecurity and bitterness in our fan base that continues to this very day.

Hopes were sky-high, Leafs nation rejoiced in ecstasy during the 2nd intermission. "It's really happening! We're finally going to win a round after so many years!", one boy shouted as tears welled up in his eyes, staring at the Maple Leafs Square big screen, showing game highlights.

Then the nukes were dropped...Leafs nation was nothing more than a shadow on the pavement.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

It was "desperate for a taste of playoffs" Leafs fans getting their first taste of being sh*t on by the big bad Bruins, starting a complex of insecurity and bitterness in our fan base that continues to this very day.

Hopes were sky-high, Leafs nation rejoiced in ecstasy during the 2nd intermission. "It's really happening! We're finally going to win a round after so many years!", one boy shouted as tears welled up in his eyes, staring at the Maple Leafs Square big screen, showing game highlights.

Then the nukes were dropped...Leafs nation was nothing more than a shadow on the pavement.
I think the one positive to come out of losing that Game 7 is this. If Toronto had won and even if it was in overtime, I think they never end up hiring Brendan Shanahan and that means none of his other moves ever happen.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
I still get teary eyed if I watch the highlights poor matt frattin was never the same after he didnt score on that break away

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I still get teary eyed if I watch the highlights poor matt frattin was never the same after he didnt score on that break away

The way they played in the 3rd, even if Frattin scored that goal, the home team were still going to tie it in the final seconds anyway.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

That's a nice narrative but probably one that only applies to very young fans. Frankly the loss to Philadelphia was more disappointing in that on paper at least it was probably the best assemblage of players they had had in decades (even if some were on the wrong side of their primes) and they went in seconds from a huge moment to a series loss.

The Toronto team that lost to Boston wasn't even supposed to be in the playoffs.

I will say I do remember thinking at the time "wouldn't it be like a script for Kessel to win it in OT"? Interestingly THAT would have made for the more compelling storyline but if that had happened, I bet they wouldn't vote it "game of the decade".

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
What about game 7 Boston vs Philadelphia 2010?

Philly closed a 3-0 series lead, Boston went up 3-0 in game 7, and Philly came back and won that.

But I'm not surprised - the NHL is openly marketing hatred towards the Leafs.

Yup. Appealing to the masses.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That's a nice narrative but probably one that only applies to very young fans. Frankly the loss to Philadelphia was more disappointing in that on paper at least is was probably the best assemblage of players they had had in decades (even if some were on the wrong side of their primes) and they went in seconds from a huge moment to a series loss.

The Toronto team that lost to Boston wasn't even supposed to be in the playoffs.

I will say I do remember thinking at the time "wouldn't it be like a script for Kessel to win it in OT"? Interestingly THAT would have made for the more compelling storyline but if that had happened, I bet they wouldn't vote it "game of the decade".
To me it was the loss to the Kings. The brutal missed call when Gretz tried to stick check Dougie who had the puck and clipped him to cut his chin in game 6 in overtime. That was 4 minutes back then and an automatic call. But Fraser chose to ignore it even though he saw it. That decision cost us a spot in the SC final. To me it really really hurt. The better team lost that series.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
To me it was the loss to the Kings. The brutal missed call when Gretz tried to stick check Dougie who had the puck and clipped him to cut his chin in game 6 in overtime. That was 4 minutes back then and an automatic call. But Fraser chose to ignore it even though he saw it. That decision cost us a spot in the SC final. To me it really really hurt. The better team lost that series.

Agreed that one was far worse. As you illustrated (which many folks don't remember), that season that call was an automatic, every time. Kind of like the year where the goal crease thing was an automatic call. It only gets amplified that the guy who should have been out of the game scores the goal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

He said he didn't see it, here's a link.

Kerry Fraser opens up about Gretzky's high stick on Gilmour - Sportsnet.ca

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Actually at that time if you high sticked another player and they were bleeding it was 5:00 minutes and a game misconduct.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think the one positive to come out of losing that Game 7 is this. If Toronto had won and even if it was in overtime, I think they never end up hiring Brendan Shanahan and that means none of his other moves ever happen.

Sure, but lets see where we're at results wise and the end of the season. Shanny has been President since April, 2014. I do like that we somehow managed to tank and were given the 1st overall (Matthews). Might have been the obvious strategy though at that point.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sure, but lets see where we're at results wise and the end of the season. Shanny has been President since April, 2014. I do like that we somehow managed to tank and were given the 1st overall (Matthews). Might have been the obvious strategy though at that point.
Compared to the times when Brian Burke was the General Manager and later on Dave Nonis, I think things have been much better under Shanahan.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
UFA signing of the decade: David Clarkson
Trade of the decade: Rask for Raycroft
Rivalry of the decade: Bruins vs Leafs
Best team of the decade: Bruins 2011
Line of the decade: Perfection line

Anything else?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

When asked about it in early days he said things like "he didn't have a view of it" or similar such stuff but then photos were shown of just how clear a line of sight he had of the play.

Could be entirely accurate that he didn't see it (and not entirely surprising) but in life I am always suspicious when people's stories don't remain consistent.

Reactions: the squared circle

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks for link. I was at game with my dad and we were sitting in golds like 10 rows back on that blue line. Can't believe he could not see it. As I remember it he was on goal line and puck was on other side of ice at face off dot area. Anyways I remember Gretz skating towards us in a circle and the look on his face I will never ever forget. He was guilty and he knew it. and Dougie was cut. But I did not know Dougie told ref he got cut with the shot follow through. I gotta ask him about that one. But it was heart breaking. It was a real shot to the head. Sad. and still sad to me.

Reactions: the squared circle

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I never saw Reimer the same way again. He needed to make one more save, just one save
Frattin was on a breakway, he could have buried that we win. Kadri had a golden opportunity in the 3rd period

Let's face it, had we pulled something like that against one of our rival, I would have talked about it all day everyday

I still watch those games against Ottawa when Niewy and McCabe scored goals. But this game, this game was just horrible.

I remember that week. It was a horrible week for the Marlies, Leafs and the Jays.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I never saw Reimer the same way again. He needed to make one more save, just one save
Frattin was on a breakway, he could have buried that we win. Kadri had a golden opportunity in the 3rd period

Let's face it, had we pulled something like that against one of our rival, I would have talked about it all day everyday

I still watch those games against Ottawa when Niewy and McCabe scored goals. But this game, this game was just horrible.

I remember that week. It was a horrible week for the Marlies, Leafs and the Jays.
Reimer's golden horseshoe luck ran out 10 minutes too early. But I thought we got outplayed every game that series. In my mind it was a total fluke. Reims got massively lucky in games 5 and 6. He made way too many 10 bellers in both games. and the hockey gods generally prevail. But like you I got my hopes up after I think Kadri made a nice play to Kessel for 3rd and then got the 4th goal in 3rd. And we should have won it because if I remember right the refs put their whistles away in the 3rd. I remember a Phaneuf cross check and a trip in corner and it got let go. Carlyle, Phaneuf and Reims were never the same to me after that screw up. A coach has got to figure out a way home.

Reactions: fahad203

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Reimer's golden horseshoe luck ran out 10 minutes too early. But I thought we got outplayed every game that series. In my mind it was a total fluke. Reims got massively lucky in games 5 and 6. He made way too many 10 bellers in both games. and the hockey gods generally prevail. But like you I got my hopes up after I think Kadri made a nice play to Kessel for 3rd and then got the 4th goal in 3rd. And we should have won it because if I remember right the refs put their whistles away in the 3rd. I remember a Phaneuf cross check and a trip in corner and it got let go. Carlyle, Phaneuf and Reims were never the same to me after that screw up. A coach has got to figure out a way home.
I remember asking myself why didn't Carlyle call a timeout when the Bruins made it 4-3. Would that have made any difference or would the Leafs still eventually allowed the 4th goal that tied the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad