NHL.com Game of the Decade: Game 7 vs Boston 2013

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So in 10 years, the NHL can't find a showcase game where two teams slugged it out and both can be proud of their efforts regardless of the result?

e.g. N.Y. Rangers 2, Washington 1, 2012 conference semifinal, 54:41 of OT

Or one of many milestone games

Hawks win their first cup in 49 years
Blues win their first cup ever
LA Kings win their first cup ever
Matthews score 4 goals in his first ever NHL game

Instead they select a game in which one of their franchises was completely humiliated.

Ha ha, so funny :sarcasm:

Just another example of why the league is considered second rate.
Well stated. There is not a remote chance any game blown by da Bruins at any time is even up for consideration. What MLSE really needs to do is to take over the BOD of the NHL. Shanny needs to go turncoat. He got Leafs gig with NHL referral. So it is probably pretty hard for him to do.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We literally had one last year. Also, Boston's game 7 loss to Philly after being up 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in game 7. These are just recent ones off the top of my head, not even getting into "league history".

If we want to get into playoff meltdowns in less than 7 games, we have TONS more. President trophy winners getting embarrassed by 8th seeds: Lightning, Vancouver, Detroit, etc. Boston losing the cup in the final 1:16 of the game, after Chicago tied and won it in regulation, in literally the same 2013 playoffs. I could go on.

I know many people were hurt by the Leaf's loss in 2013, and it can feel like it couldn't possibly happen any worse, but it really, really, really can, and it has many times.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Nobody cares about VGK/SJ.

Two Original 6 franchises with one of them being involved in this greatest Game 7 meltdown in league history. Yes, that game is deserving of being the Game of the Decade.

Let’s face it, if we won that game the same way the Bruins won no one here would have a problem with this choice. It sucks but what can we do until this franchise finally discovers how to stop embarrassing themselves/us
Damn right no one would have a problem if it had been the Leafs over the Bruins in a similar fashion. It would have been a great story of the underdog defeating the recent cup champions and playoff veterans.

The Leafs were a bad team who only made the playoffs because the season was too short for the annual 18-wheeler to fly off the cliff. They were down 3-1 in the series before winning 2 back to back, including one in Boston (subsequent playoffs showed how difficult it is for this team to do).

To storm back from 4-1 with 10 min left to complete the comeback would have been insane and easily been the best game of the decade.

Instead, the Leafs, in those last minutes played like the team they actually were while the Bruins used their veteran experience to win as expected. Goliath defeated David. A big game sure, even record breaking, but not the best example of the elements of the sport which make it great.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I cannot recall any other game in the past decade that garnered more fan base hand wringing than this one, so in that sense.................... :dunno:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Lol. Of course it is. Nobody should be surprised that this is what the NHL chose.

What about game 7 Boston vs Philadelphia 2010?

Philly closed a 3-0 series lead, Boston went up 3-0 in game 7, and Philly came back and won that.

But I'm not surprised - the NHL is openly marketing hatred towards the Leafs.

It's just writers for NHL.com, not the league.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Damn right no one would have a problem if it had been the Leafs over the Bruins in a similar fashion. It would have been a great story of the underdog defeating the recent cup champions and playoff veterans.

The Leafs were a bad team who only made the playoffs because the season was too short for the annual 18-wheeler to fly off the cliff. They were down 3-1 in the series before winning 2 back to back, including one in Boston (subsequent playoffs showed how difficult it is for this team to do).

To storm back from 4-1 with 10 min left to complete the comeback would have been insane and easily been the best game of the decade.

Instead, the Leafs, in those last minutes played like the team they actually were while the Bruins used their veteran experience to win as expected. Goliath defeated David. A big game sure, even record breaking, but not the best example of the elements of the sport which make it great.
You and I get what happened but most everyone else does not. They don't know that Reims stood on his head from 2 games to get us back to 3-3. Quite frankly it was a total fluke. Then he came back to the real Reims in the 3rd period. I just wish he could have stayed hot for 10 more minutes. D*mn it 10 more minutes Reims. You could have been a CULT hero.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
We literally had one last year. Also, Boston's game 7 loss to Philly after being up 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in game 7. These are just recent ones off the top of my head, not even getting into "league history".

If we want to get into playoff meltdowns in less than 7 games, we have TONS more. President trophy winners getting embarrassed by 8th seeds: Lightning, Vancouver, Detroit, etc. Boston losing the cup in the final 1:16 of the game, after Chicago tied and won it in regulation, in literally the same 2013 playoffs. I could go on.

I know many people were hurt by the Leaf's loss in 2013, and it can feel like it couldn't possibly happen any worse, but it really, really, really can, and it has many times.

It’s greatest game of the decade. A single game. Bruins blowing the 3-0 lead in Game 7 was not similar to how the Leafs lost in 2013 namely in that they didn’t choke that lead with 10 minutes left in the third. That’s unprecedented. An argument can be made for VGK/SJ last year but they lost due to a bs major call. Add into that that there was so much more emotion in the Boston/Toronto series that it’s not really close imo. I agree with the decision even though it’s embarrassing.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Yeah that’s great. Still doesn’t change anything.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Bruins blowing the 3-0 lead in Game 7 was not similar to how the Leafs lost in 2013 namely in that they didn’t choke that lead with 10 minutes left in the third.
So what? I thought it was "game", not 10 minutes.

Unlike Toronto, Boston lost to a lower seed.
Unlike Toronto, Boston lost after completely blowing the series lead.
Unlike Toronto, Boston lost in regulation.

If we're shrinking the relevant time down, then the final 1:16 of the Chicago-Boston final was a way bigger choke in less time. As was San Jose-VGK.
An argument can be made for VGK/SJ last year but they lost due to a bs major call.
Oh yeah, the officiating was soooo good and fair in our series... :eyeroll:

If it had been Toronto-Boston in that situation, you think anybody would have cared about how it happened? The 3rd and 4th goal were 6v5 situations, but does anybody care? No.
Add into that that there was so much more emotion in the Boston/Toronto series that it’s not really close imo.
Did you watch the San Jose-VGK series? I think those fans would heavily disagree with you.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
This is a league which believes the best showcase of the sport for a national broadcast is to have one or both teams playing the 2nd half of back to backs. Of course it's going to believe that the narrative of Goliath defeating David as the best game of the decade.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So what? I thought it was "game", not 10 minutes.

Unlike Toronto, Boston lost to a lower seed.
Unlike Toronto, Boston lost after completely blowing the series lead.
Unlike Toronto, Boston lost in regulation.

If we're shrinking the relevant time down, then the final 1:16 of the Chicago-Boston final was a way bigger choke in less time. As was San Jose-VGK.

Oh yeah, the officiating was soooo good and fair in our series... :eyeroll:

If it had been Toronto-Boston in that situation, you think anybody would have cared about how it happened? The 3rd and 4th goal were 6v5 situations, but does anybody care? No.

Did you watch the San Jose-VGK series? I think those fans would heavily disagree with you.
If you take out the 5:00 major in the San Jose and Vegas Game 7, besides Vegas blowing a 3 goal lead like Toronto did, they also blew a 3-1 series lead. Hell they lost Game 6 in 2OT on a shorthanded goal.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
One I'll never forget is when we shat all over the scabs 6-1 or so. Colton Orr comes flying through center ice trying to run at Patches or something, gets in a scrum and falcon punches a smurf into oblivion.

Kessel and his axe chopping was funny times too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One I'll never forget is when we shat all over the scabs 6-1 or so. Colton Orr comes flying through center ice trying to run at Patches or something, gets in a scrum and falcon punches a smurf into oblivion.

It was actually 6-0 and that was the game which caused Josh Georges to decide he didn't want to be traded to Toronto because of their rivalry with Montreal.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Yeah that was a good game during those dark times. I forget the name of the other enforcer we had but I just remember him pounding on Gorges or somebody and basically laughing at him while doing it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Why are some of you pissing on the NHL about this silly thing? Must be those tinfoil hats!

It's not the league, its NHL.com.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It’s greatest game of the decade. A single game. Bruins blowing the 3-0 lead in Game 7 was not similar to how the Leafs lost in 2013 namely in that they didn’t choke that lead with 10 minutes left in the third. That’s unprecedented. An argument can be made for VGK/SJ last year but they lost due to a bs major call. Add into that that there was so much more emotion in the Boston/Toronto series that it’s not really close imo. I agree with the decision even though it’s embarrassing.
Blowing a 3-0 series lead and 3-0 game 7 lead is unprecedented.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

The Oilers blew a 3 goal lead with less than 4 minutes left in the game (3:17 to be exact) and went on to lose in OT versus Anaheim in the playoffs.

Game of the Decade, I tells ya!

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The Oilers blew a 3 goal lead with less than 4 minutes left in the game (3:17 to be exact) and went on to lose in OT versus Anaheim in the playoffs.

Game of the Decade, I tells ya!

That’s great why don’t you make your complaints directly to NHL.com. You’re quite compelling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->