News Article: NHL.com By The Numbers: Filip Larsson (as we awat Trouba news)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
also posted in the GRG 37 pg thread.

NHL.com By The Numbers: Filip Larsson (as we awat Trouba news)

By the Numbers Prospects: Filip Larsson

By the Numbers Prospects: Filip Larsson

Young Swede led the Denver Pioneers to the Frozen Four

by Dana Wakiji @Dwakiji / DetroitRedWings.com
2:03 AM
  • Email Share
cut.jpg

By the Numbers will highlight the on-ice accomplishments in the 2018-19 season for the Detroit Red Wings' prospects. Twice a week during the offseason, By the Numbers will profile a different player in the system, focusing on his statistical highs. This week we focus on goaltender Filip Larsson.
The Detroit Red Wings have several forwards who are either ready to ascend to the NHL or are not too far away from that point.
The same cannot be said for their goaltending prospects.
However, Filip Larsson has been making a strong case that if there is an heir apparent to Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Bernier, it could be the young Swede.
Larsson, 20, just completed his freshman year at the University of Denver after a record-setting year for the USHL's Tri-City Storm and it was an extremely successful season even though the start was a bit rocky.
A lingering groin injury that Larsson hoped would heal on its own did not and he underwent surgery in September, delaying his Denver debut until November.
It did not take long for Larsson to adjust to the demands of a top-level college program as he was named NCHC Goaltender of the Month in December.
Larsson led the Pioneers to the Frozen Four but their season ended in a 4-3 overtime loss to the University of Massachusetts.
Larsson was named to the 2019 NCHC All-Rookie Team, was a finalist for the NCHC Goalie of the Year award, made the NCHC Honorable Mention All-Star Team, was the Hockey Commissioners' Association National Rookie of the Month for April/March and was a co-recipient of the Pioneers' Bill Masterton Award for team MVP.
The Wings signed Larsson to a three-year entry level contract on April 15 that begins with the 2019-20 season.
Larsson then signed an amateur tryout with the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins and was able to join them during their playoff run.
Larsson will have a chance to win the starting job with the Griffins for next season but the Wings have made it clear that he will have to earn it, it won't just be given to him.
1.95 -- In 22 games, Larsson had a 1.95 goals-against average, which ranked 11th in the NCAA and third among NCAA freshmen. The only other two freshmen with better goals-against averages were Filip Lindberg, a Finn from the University of Massachusetts who had a 1.60 goals-against average, and Dryden McKay, an American from Minnesota State who had a 1.76 goals-against average. In Denver history, the career 1.95 goals-against average ranks second and is seventh in single-season records.
.932 -- Larsson finished with a .932 save percentage in 22 games, ranked sixth in the NCAA and second among NCAA freshmen. Massachusetts freshman Lindberg was the only freshman better with a .934 save percentage. The .932 save percentage ranks second in all-time history at Denver.
.659 -- In terms of goalie winning percentage, Larsson finished 12th in the NCAA at .659. Only Minnesota State's McKay at .758 and Massachusetts' Lindberg at .733 were better among NCAA freshmen goaltenders.
4 -- Larsson had four shutouts in his freshman season, with two of them coming in the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament, 24 saves in the 2-0 win over Ohio State University on March 29 -- which should endear him to Michigan fans -- and 26 saves in a 3-0 win over American International College on March 30. Larsson became the fifth goalie to record back-to-back shutouts in the NCAA regional since the current format started in 2003.
2 -- In his first year at Denver, Larsson was twice named NCHC Goalie of the Week Jan. 14 and Feb. 4.
13 -- Larsson finished with 13 victories in his 22 games.
5 -- As great a season as Larsson had, it wasn't all highs. On Jan. 26, the Denver Pioneers played against the Western Michigan Broncos in Kalamazoo and Larsson allowed a season-worst five goals on 19 shots. WMU had two power-play goals, both in the first period, by Josh Passolt and Drew Worrad. Paul Washe, Cam Lee and Dawson Dipietro also scored for the Broncos. Larsson was replaced by Michael Corson during the game.
Quotable: "Filip had a very strong year at Denver and was consistent in his starts at the collegiate level. The organization believes he is ready for the next challenge in his career. Filip has already begun his summer training regiment back home in Sweden and plans on arriving in late July to work on his technical game in the Detroit area. Filip adds to our young depth at the goaltending position and he will have the opportunity to make an impact and further his development in his first year professionally." - Brian Mahoney-Wilson, Red Wings goaltending development coach
Quotable II: "He's a good prospect for us. We're excited that he turned pro. We'll see him in development camp again, but he's a kid that had a good year in college. Really, he's probably one of our, if not the, top goalie prospects for us. We're excited, we're happy with his development. He's developed pretty quickly here. He's healthy going into the offseason so we expect him to train and be ready for next year and compete." - Shawn Horcoff, Red Wings director of player development

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitRed

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Pulling for the guy, hope he becomes what we need him to. But won’t get my hopes up until he starts making an impact at the pro level, learned my lesson after Mrazek.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he's definitely super promising but it's hard to get too excited about a goalie with the uncertainty of the position

I think I had him as my ~8th ranked prospect on the prospect rankings on this forum last summer and a few spots above that is probably about the highest point i'd feel comfortable putting a goalie however promising they are

it's really encouraging to see that even getting injured right as he entered a new level of play this year didn't really end up even slowing him down

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Larsson is an interesting prospect, but I don't understand the association with Trouba here. Although, this is an informative thread and thanks for posting it.

I say we still cannot assume that our goalie predicament is solved. Some of the categories above list him at 11th or 12th, and frankly, some of the guys who finished with better numbers were about the same age or younger. So, we still have to be cautious, especially since Larsson is a part of one of the best programs in the NCAA, surrounded by lots of good college players - again, that isn't the case with everyone who ended up with better stats. Granted, stats don't tell the whole story.

The other thing is, between Osgood who was drafted like thirty years ago, and today, Ken Holland's Wings probably did not draft even one goalie capable of winning a cup as a starter. I know some people will argue for Howard on this issue. I think, no sooner did Howard approach that level of play than he started to decline. I don't think he ever quite got there. So, the track record for drafting top tier NHL goalies doesn't suggest a lot of optimism to me. I'll believe it when I see it.

That said, I am pulling for Larsson and all of our prospects.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes he might not pan out but for now I’m excited. How many times have we had goalie prospects this good?

Every once in a while.

Howard at 2005. The hype started, when Jimmy was 19-year old and had great seasons in Maine, like Larsson did have now in Denver.

Mrazek at 2012. The hype started, when Petr was 20-year old and had great seasons in OHL, and shined at WJC.

Now it's 2019, and Larsson is the 20-year old we are hyping.

Seems to be 7-year span...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad