NHL.com back in 1996 (and on)

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
It was funny seeing the Dole/Kemp 96 webpage still up and it was this Geocities looking monstrosity. The NHL one looks pretty decent in comparison.

ArtVandelay1987

Sep 19, 2012
Martinsburg,WV
I remember when I was a little kid my dad would always print me off the Playoff brackets of whatever year playoffs were going on. Looking back at the link has me feeling a little nostalgic.

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
Here is the recap from the rangers Canadiens game from the site. I remember watching this game. Reading the recap it sure shows what a dangerous player 99 still was even bring old and past his prime. Still one of the most dangerous in the league even in dead puck era.

****Luc Robitaille scored off Wayne Gretzky's centering pass 42 seconds into overtime, giving the surging New York Rangers their first regular-season win in Montreal in more than five years, 3-2 over the slumping Canadiens.
Gretzky, who set up all three New York goals, had the puck behind the Montreal net and was left unchecked for several seconds. He waited for Robitaille to cut down the slot before flipping the puck in front and Robitaille shoveled a shot past goaltender Jocelyn Thibault's stick side.
"(Gretzky) beat me on the winning goal the same way he beat me on the first two goals," a frustrated Thibault said. "He had a chance three times. You never know where he is or where he's going to pass the puck. On the winner, I didn't even see the puck. They tell me it went to the inside post.
"It's frustrating because we watched videos on how Gretzky plays and we still didn't do anything about it. Give him credit, he won the game by himself. Everytime he touches the puck, it's a gamble."
It was the seventh goal in 10 games for Robitaille, who also got the game-winner in a 6-2 home victory over the Canadiens on December 1st.
"There's no way to stop Gretzky," he said. "People have tried to force him time and time again. He doesn't have 3,000 points in his career for nothing."
The Rangers broke an 0-8-1 regular-season stretch at Montreal, winning there for the first time since October 5th, 1991, when Mark Messier scored in overtime to beat the Canadiens.
New York has won four straight and is unbeaten in 11 of its last 12 games (10-1-1).
"Obviously in my career, I have benefited from plays like that when I'm standing behind the net. Tonight was no different," said Gretzky, who has 23 points in his last 11 games. "It was just one of those nights. I got the chances and the pucks went in. We're playing a different type of hockey than we did in the first 15 games. We lost a lot of close ones because we had a lot of breakdowns. But we knew what we had to accomplish and now we're playing our system."
Mark Recchi and Vincent Damphousse scored for Montreal, which is 0-3-1 in its last four games and has only two wins in its last 10.
"Guys on this team are afraid to go after Gretzky because he makes them look stupid," Recchi said. "I don't know if Jocelyn saw the videos, but I never did. Maybe only the goalies did. The bottom line is we have no points in the point column."
Canadiens coach Mario Tremblay also was in awe of Gretzky, who leads the league with 51 points.
"It only takes Gretzky two seconds to get a goal like that," he said. "I still think we played well enough to win. We talked all week about Gretzky and (Mark) Messier. Give Gretzky credit. He's 36 years old, but has 18 years of experience. It was a helpless, bad feeling for me, standing behind the bench."
The Canadiens grabbed a 1-0 lead at 6:07 of the first period when Recchi corraled a rebound of Patrice Brisebois' shot and put it past Mike Richter for his 15th goal of the season and first in six games.
Montreal held the Rangers to a season-low three shots in the first period, but Gretzky had it behind the net and set up a streaking Ulf Samuelsson for the tying goal at 9:16 of the second.
Montreal regained the lead just over six minutes later on a power-play tally by Damphousse. With New York's Alexei Kovalev in the penalty box for hooking, Damphousse grabbed a Vladimir Malakhov rebound in the left faceoff circle and beat Richter high to the glove side for his second goal since November 16th.
Niklas Sundstrom tied it at 18:33, converting another pass from behind the net by Gretzky.
The Rangers outshot Montreal in the third period, 11-6, but the Canadiens had the four best scoring chances. Richter stopped Martin Rucinsky from close range in opening minute, turned aside blasts from the blue line by David Wilkie and Brisebois during a power play and made a stick save on Brian Savage, who was left alone in front.
"I'm frustrated because we're not winning the close games," Tremblay said. "The effort was there. I was confident we'd win the game."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad