News Article: NHL.com Article On Leafs

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
There's still pain coming. The hardest parts will be watching the highly touted kids - the ones who are supposed to lead the team to success - go through the growing pains of the NHL.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I expect them to get a good half season of productive hockey in this season and struggle for the other half. Some will struggle in the beginning some in the latter part, some will be streaky. Not all paths will be the same. They will get there over the next few seasons. Leafs fans will complain about them after two games and for some reason pin guys like nylander vs. Matthews rather than enjoy both.

Never understood why it had to be either Reimer or Bernier when it was beneficial to have both of them play 40 games each.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There's still pain coming. The hardest parts will be watching the highly touted kids - the ones who are supposed to lead the team to success - go through the growing pains of the NHL.

It will be hard watching some of them not pan out too, I think most of us are already doing subconscious line combos for 2017-2018 and beyond and some of the guys we have slotted in will fizzle.....or if they all turn out there's more than we'll have space for, big adjustment having surplus prospects

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Agreed, last season will be a walk in the park compared to the next couple.

Management did a very good job by giving the Leafs the lowest expectations. They're still going to be relatively low next season but we're now expecting progress and development. It might be right or it might be wrong but as soon as we see some non-linear progression, you can bet that there will be people asking for someone to be traded or fired.

Patience is going to be needed for quite a while yet.

Mr Hockey*

I see some pretty exciting hockey being played starting this season.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
would be great to have another top 5 pick (d)... but i'm not counting on it

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Management did a very good job by giving the Leafs the lowest expectations. They're still going to be relatively low next season but we're now expecting progress and development. It might be right or it might be wrong but as soon as we see some non-linear progression, you can bet that there will be people asking for someone to be traded or fired.

They can't be worse than last year that's literally impossible

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If we get Foote this coming draft I will call this season a win. Obviously I hope the kids all great seasons. It would be nice to flip most of our vets for more picks.

Mad Brills*

It will be hard watching some of them not pan out too, I think most of us are already doing subconscious line combos for 2017-2018 and beyond and some of the guys we have slotted in will fizzle.....or if they all turn out there's more than we'll have space for, big adjustment having surplus prospects

If any of the big 3 flop, yikes.

The_Puck_Hog

Oct 30, 2003
Visit site
I expect a season much like the Sabres had last year...

75-85 points

I think people who are saying the Leafs will fight for a playoff spot are doing so with their hearts and not their brains. I hope I'm wrong and they fight for a playoff spot, but, I just don't see it happening. The easiest way to put in perspective is to ask yourself who the Leafs can finish ahead of in the standings...

In no particular order:

Pittsburgh - No
Washington - No
Tampa Bay - No
Florida - No
Islanders - No
Rangers - No
Montreal - Not with Carey Price in net !!!

Flyers - Probably not for coming season
Bruins - Probably not for coming season
Sabres - No - I think they are 1 year ahead of Leafs in development & established playes and will be good for several seasons to come

So that's 10 teams that should finish ahead of the Leafs, or at least are expected to do so. Now in a couple seasons ( IF prospects develop like they're expected / were hoping :laugh: ), I can see the Leafs surpassing teams such as Islanders, Rangers (Lundquist getting old), Flyers, Bruins and Montreal.

I guess we will wait and see.... Really looking forward to this season ...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

The_Puck_Hog

Oct 30, 2003
Visit site

Huh ? Walk in the Park ? I think you are saying that we will have increased expectations, so it will be harder than last year ? But I can't disagree with you more, this season should be much more refreshing to watch for those with realistic expectations. (75-85 points )

But... Even though the,"Pain," may not be over. There is no way this team is worse than last year, not a chance in hell ! :)

Kearsley21

Jan 23, 2012
Michigan
Who are the 5 6 kids who will score big time in this league that Babcock is talkingoing about ? The big 3 are obvious but who are the other 2 3?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Who are the 5 6 kids who will score big time in this league that Babcock is talkingoing about ? The big 3 are obvious but who are the other 2 3?

Definitely Brown as #4 and Kapanen #5.... im sure by saying 5-6 he's hoping one of Leivo, Soshnikov, Johnson, etc. will end up a good scorer too making it six total.

It's not likely all those guys end up as projected/hoped, but it is encouraging to see us with 5 legit top 6 prospects and a bunch of other with legit, but less likely shots as well.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Not saying they'll be worse in the standings obviously, it'll be worse on the fan base because they'll actually have some expectations to try and improve. We're not expecting playoffs or anything but we're expecting development to start now and trying to watch the kids improve without tunnel visioning on one cold streak or hot streak.

Just saying what I expect to happen. If some of our prospects are not developing in a constant linear fashion, we'll see some of the fans turn on them and either put them under a microscope or want to get rid of them altogether.
(even though that happens on a nightly basis anyways)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

..but isn't that also entertaining, watching these gifted offensive prospects learn defence under Babcock, sure they can score but can they play a game that wont have Babcock wanting to bench 18 players every night. :)

It will also be interesting to see which vets are leaders and which ones are selfish brats..

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
I don't think any of the big 3 are going to flop. All three of them have tremendous talent and pedigree. They are all, at the very least, legitimate quality nhlers. And it's quite possible they are much more than that. The only one who may have semi-serious issues adjusting next year is Marner (because of his size and no pro exp), but, IMO he's got enough talent to overcome any initial struggles.

I don't know who Babcock meant about 5 or 6 guys who are going to score... it's interesting to speculate though...

IMO I wouldn't include Kapanen on any list of guaranteed good scorers at the NHL level. I've never seen enough consistency, or ability to create his own chances to get really high on the guy. I know he's scored some nice goals, and some big goals, but I don't think he's a lock to be a good scorer.

IMO Babcock might be referring to Carrick as one of those 5 or 6 guys. He's displayed quite a bit of offensive prowess, and scored a few points at the NHL level too. More than Kapanen imo..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad