News Article: NHL.com 30 in 30: Sabres

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
30 Teams in 30 Days: Sabres
NHL.com is providing in-depth roster, prospect and fantasy analysis for each of its 30 teams throughout August. Today, the Buffalo Sabres.

30 in 30: Sabres' Prospects
The Buffalo Sabres have seen a number of prospects move through the organization to become full-time players in the NHL, and the next wave of talent is looking to follow in their footsteps.

Last season, the Sabres had forwards Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart join the likes of defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen and forward Zemgus Girgensons. Though Buffalo's fate this season rests in the hands of those young players, its future looks strong with a mix of fast, skilled forwards, puck-handling defensemen and big, agile goaltenders.

30 in 30: Sabres' Fantasy Outlook
As part of NHL.com's 30 in 30 series, our fantasy hockey staff is breaking down each team's fantasy landscape. From most valuable assets to underrated options, impact prospects and more, this guide should help fantasy owners prioritize players for drafts.

Reasons for optimism, questions facing Sabres
NHL.com is providing in-depth analysis for each of its 30 teams throughout August. Today, the biggest reasons for optimism and the biggest questions facing the Buffalo Sabres:

30 in 30: Buffalo Sabres (3:18)
NHL.com's Dan Rosen and Matt Waymire take a look at the Buffalo Sabres for the upcoming 2016-17 NHL season

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Amazing that they completely ignore the ongoing Evander Kane situation, which has to be the #1 burning question facing the Sabres right now.

And in fact, in all these previews here list Kane as part of the Sabres young core going forward, when I'd have to say as of right now there's a pretty good chance that he never takes the ice in a Sabres sweater again.

I think since NHL.com is run by the league they are probably under strict orders not to touch anything scandalous involving players. Still it's a pretty glaring omission.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Amazing that they completely ignore the ongoing Evander Kane situation, which has to be the #1 burning question facing the Sabres right now.

And in fact, in all these previews here list Kane as part of the Sabres young core going forward, when I'd have to say as of right now there's a pretty good chance that he never takes the ice in a Sabres sweater again.

I think since NHL.com is run by the league they are probably under strict orders not to touch anything scandalous involving players. Still it's a pretty glaring omission.

It was completely predictable that the subject of Kane was not addressed.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

They're a league outlet. Their job is just to publicize the league. Not something you'd get from them.

Personally, I'd wager he plays through this and it's an organizational black eye, maybe he walks in two years, but I'd be surprised if Murray sells low on a guy he targeted for years and thinks is a top line player.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It was completely predictable that the subject of Kane was not addressed.

Yeah, but situations like this really highlight how NHL.com's lack of editorial independence really hinders their ability to offer any kind of meaningful analysis.

I mean, when you have to ignore the elephant in the room, it's just kind of silly.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
They're a league outlet. Their job is just to publicize the league. Not something you'd get from them.

Personally, I'd wager he plays through this and it's an organizational black eye, maybe he walks in two years, but I'd be surprised if Murray sells low on a guy he targeted for years and thinks is a top line player.

Do we really want Kane in the locker-room for two more years, hanging around with and influencing Eichel and Reinhart and Ristolainen and maybe Nylander too?

Do we think Murray wants that? If he really wants to hold on to Kane just because he doesn't want to sell low, then what is his plan to mitigate Kane's potential for poisoning the locker room?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I disagree. I think Lehner's ability to stay healthy and Risto's development into a legit #1 are far bigger questions.

EK has been charged with violations. Not misdemeanors. Not felonies. Violations probably aren't even suspendable, certainly not without the NHLPA putting up a fight.

As far as him never wearing a Sabres sweater again, I put that chance at about 1% right now. What he's done is an embarrassment to the organization from a PR perspective. However, there's zero indication that this has carried over into the locker room yet (and the crack staff at TBN is usually quick to uncover such drama) and zero indication that this is affecting things on ice yet.

He's going to start and likely finish the season as a Sabre.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Yeah, but situations like this really highlight how NHL.com's lack of editorial independence really hinders their ability to offer any kind of meaningful analysis.

I mean, when you have to ignore the elephant in the room, it's just kind of silly.

I agree that it should be addressed to give a full and honest assessment, but it's not as if it was a surprise that they didn't. :dunno:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

To be fair, these were likely recorded one day in July some time. Could have easily been before Kane got arrested.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Do we really want Kane in the locker-room for two more years, hanging around with and influencing Eichel and Reinhart and Ristolainen and maybe Nylander too?

Do we think Murray wants that? If he really wants to hold on to Kane just because he doesn't want to sell low, then what is his plan to mitigate Kane's potential for poisoning the locker room?

"Poisoning the locker room" is an ultimately subjective thing, and I wouldn't put any stock in anyone who has never been in the locker room asserting that this or that poisons it. Whatever that would mean.

Maybe his teammates don't care. Maybe he's the hardest working guy at the rink and he's actually a locker room leader. ROR didn't poison the locker room with fleeing the scene hanging over him. It's not for us to say.

Kane has a bad locker room history, and I'm not defending him, but I wouldn't care about "locker room impacts" until someone in the locker room suggests he's creating some.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
In other words, not until after it's too late.

What nonsense. So if haseoke doesn't care about a potential locker room impact until there's an actual reason to do so, then it's "too late"? Too late for what exactly?

I don't see what's wrong with leaving concerns about Kane affecting the locker room to people who actually have some insight into the locker room, rather than those of us who rely completely on speculation. Tim Murray is in a position to tell whether there's a locker room problem. He's also the person responsible for deciding whether or not something needs to be done about Kane.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
What nonsense. So if haseoke doesn't care about a potential locker room impact until there's an actual reason to do so, then it's "too late"? Too late for what exactly?

He didn't say he didn't care about locker room impact until there's a reason to do so. He said he didn't care until it reaches the point at which he has become aware of it. Those are two totally different things.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He didn't say he didn't care about locker room impact until there's a reason to do so. He said he didn't care until it reaches the point at which he has become aware of it. Those are two totally different things.

A meaningless distinction since 1) becoming aware that there's an actual locker room issue means it's a real thing and not something manufactured by the fans with no basis in reality and 2) fans' opinions of what goes on in the locker room affect literally nothing about how the team operates. The Sabres are going to operate the same way regardless of whether or not haseoke thinks something is an issue.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Lol didnt hurt any of those rookies last season. Kane is playing for the Sabres next season.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

How can I care about something I'm not aware of?

Anyways, if it makes you feel better, I generally support the Sabres addressing all locker room issues that arise from whichever players in whatever the appropriate fashion is, depending on what/who the issue is, whether I am aware of it or not. That better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->