NHL Center Ice

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
Is anyone else not getting free center ice with IO Cablevision. I am getting 2 games and everything else says not available. I swear Cablevision is the worst.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
That doesn't give me an excuse for Cablevision

DTV can offer every game in HD because it's satellite. The extra data isn't an issue since it's transmitted through the air, without a bandwidth restriction.

Cable providers, like Cablevision/Comcast/Fios, are limited by the bandwidth allotted by the cables they've laid out. They can only transmit so much, and HD takes about 3x the space as SD. So they have to pick and choose what gets offered in HD.

If it helps, think of it like the difference between getting water through a rainstorm vs a water pipe.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
I thought GCL and NHL Center ice were free until the 31st...its not working for me

I think this is only for returning customers. I got an e-mail from them saying that they will charge the credit card on th 2nd of February. So basically I could update my billing information with a false credit card nro. and I could watch the games till Feb. 2nd until they try to charge the card.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Unfortunately, I am a cablevision customer, and I ordered the NHL network tier a ways back and was having trouble viewing the channel on some of my boxes.

When I called the rep said that each channel has its own frequency or signal strength or some ****, and sometimes channels say they are unavailable when they aren't. Im wondering if thats happening to some of Center Ice feeds, because last night I was surfing around and was only getting a couple games.

Whats ****ing amazing about all of this is that it never happens with any other channel, like one that ill never watch for instance - it always has to be something related to the NHL, because you know, i paid for it.

Nothing is more frustrating then cable, between the coverage, the quality, the blackouts, the cable wars, etc etc etc. Apparently we all just love getting robbed for ****** service.

Last edited:

DC RangersFan30

Jan 25, 2010
Woodbridge, VA
Hey guys i just moved to the DC/metro area recently, this will be my first season not in NY. Anyways, I have Verizon cable service, am I better off ordering the center ice package or the game center online package? I would like to see games in HD and if I can do that with one and not the other that would be good to know. I've been told a lot of different things and I figured you guys would know best. :help: Thanks!

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Hey guys i just moved to the DC/metro area recently, this will be my first season not in NY. Anyways, I have Verizon cable service, am I better off ordering the center ice package or the game center online package? I would like to see games in HD and if I can do that with one and not the other that would be good to know. I've been told a lot of different things and I figured you guys would know best. :help: Thanks!

I have Gamecenter Live and have been using the free Verizon Fios January preview of Center Ice. At least in NYC, Fios has 5 HD Center Ice channels and 6 more channels in Non-HD. I have noticed 1 or 2 games in Non HD have looked terrible while most non-HD games have looked fine.

I have been using Center Ice more, mostly out of convenience but Game Center live has been pretty good as well. I watched a Vancouver game that looked stunning on GCL. I have fiber optic internet, 35 Mbps and still saw some lag during some games though.

The advantage of GCL is that you can watch it on your computer or most devices anywhere and every game is in High Definition.

DC RangersFan30

Jan 25, 2010
Woodbridge, VA
So if I order GCL, is there a way for me to watch on my tv. Id rather not watch the whole season on my ipad or PC. Does it work over xbox or a tv or blu-ray player with internet connection.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
So if I order GCL, is there a way for me to watch on my tv. Id rather not watch the whole season on my ipad or PC. Does it work over xbox or a tv or blu-ray player with internet connection.

Yea I have been using it on my xbox 360. But there are apps for a ton of devices including PS3 and Roku/Apple Tv

If I were you I would just use the Center Ice preview if you have that and then make a decision once it expires. I kinda wish I waited at this point because I have a sling box so I can watch Center Ice over the internet

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

There is an Xbox app for it if you subscribe to XB Live. I don't believe it would work on your blu-ray player unless you have a fully functional web browser.

The Xbox GCL live app has gotten solid reviews. Give it a go.

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
What are the fios channels...the audio feed shows up for 10 seconds and then everything goes black and the upgrade message comes up

I have Fios and the channels are 1470 to 1474 in HD and then 1475 up to 1480something in standard def. I've been watching the free preview with no problems. Sounds like you'd better call.

KreiMeARiver*

Are you a puppet like me and couldn't resist the Center Ice package?

I'm kinda dating this girl who is from St. Louis, so I've been watching the Blues, and I love this Oilers team. How do you not like watching so many young players with an insane amount of skill?

Anyway, I know we're in a free-preview week, but I called and ordered it, today. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. ($60 for the year on DirecTV)

Did anyone else bite the proverbial bullet?

I can't believe I'm watching WADE REDDEN in the NHL right now! haha he hasn't been bad! Took a penalty, but has looked fairly solid. Blues are killing them.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm kinda dating this girl who is from St. Louis, so I've been watching the Blues, and I love this Oilers team. How do you not like watching so many young players with an insane amount of skill?

Anyway, I know we're in a free-preview week, but I called and ordered it, today. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. ($60 for the year on DirecTV)

Did anyone else bite the proverbial bullet?

I'm on Auto-renew. $60 isn't going to kill me, although the 4 Ranger games so far have been on some kind of national TV.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I haven't bought it yet but I'm probably going to get whichever one is for the Xbox/PC/Laptops (Game Center Live?). $50 aint bad at all and I would like to watch the Blackhawks this year as they're my favorite Western Conference team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad