NHL Center Ice

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I would be all over it if the games were even mostly available in HD. SD on a 112" screen looks like garbage.

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
Every game this season has been available in HD (every game has an SD and HD channel) on DirecTV.

Not necessarily. When two Canadian teams are playing, there is sometimes only an SD feed available, like last night's Flames/Canucks game.

Still obviously a lot more HD and a hell of a lot better than CI on cable.

KreiMeARiver*

Not necessarily. When two Canadian teams are playing, there is sometimes only an SD feed available, like last night's Flames/Canucks game.

Still obviously a lot more HD and a hell of a lot better than CI on cable.

My question is this: with the new UHD around the corner.... why the F is anything still broadcast (or even filmed) in SD?

coatjones

Debauchery #1
Jul 25, 2011
Staten Island, NYC
I suggest everybody who wants any kind of NHL package get an Xbox or Apple TV. Gamecenter Live is the way to go. Every game in HD (Home and Away), Watch on your TV with the aforementioned products. Same account also works on your phones & tablets. Love the vault, replays, highlights, etc. It's the best.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
GCL is good, nationally broadcast games not being available sucks but being able to watch on my computer, iPhone or PS3 in HD is a big plus.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Thought about it, but it doesn't make sense since Islanders and the Devils games are also aired locally. Coupled with NBCSN and NHLN, I can at least catch a game on most nights.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
Just great, the game yesterday was blacked out for me in Germany.

What a cr*p

Even if I did not want to see this loss, I'm angry to see that blackout.

Well if it was on ESPN America, it was blacked out. And in this case I guess it was. I just watched the replay.

I already complained to Kabel Deutschland that they should cut down the prices and have different packages, because who needs 34732 Russian and Turkish channels just to be able to watch ESPN America.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
had to switch to time warner here in charlotte. TWC has got to be the worst provider of center ice in north america.

When the schedule is crowded only select games are available dual feed. Further, no MSG network feed (devils, islanders, sabres or NYR) are in HD. Ever. I'm not sure why this is. So in the event that the nights schedule is crowded, the non-NYR feed is used so that they can provide it in HD--which on some opponents networks I can sit thru, others I can't. Between NHL network games and NBC games, only 28 games are on MSG this year outside of NY market.

With all of this BS above, I'll probably get to watch 15 MSG feed games...in standard definition.

It's an unbelievable situation when compared to direcTV I had last year, where every game was dual feed no matter what, and in HD.

My question after ranting: Gamecenter live on NHL.com--do they provide all feeds, in HD? Does anyone stream from their computer to TV? How is the quality?

Thx

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
My question after ranting: Gamecenter live on NHL.com--do they provide all feeds, in HD?

Yes, they provide all feeds (or 1 if the game is on NBC or whatever). The max. quality is 3000 kbps. but there was talk before the season that 4500 kbps would also be available. Up until now it's not, though.

What I noticed yesterday was that the GameCenter feed at least 1 minute behind the real game time and that sucks - that's not Live. I saw a goal Sabres goal posted here and on GameCenter the faceoff before the goal hadn't even taken place yet.

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
I'm ordering it this week, really enjoyed the free preview. As others have said it's a bit frustrating watching a game SD but I'd much rather do that that watch a grainy feed on my laptop that's minutes behind the live action.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
GCL is not grainy at all, at least for me.

I have fios Internet and the xbox app and it is way better quality than the CI SD feeds. And since I try to stay out of GDTs i don't mInd the delay, though I understand how some would. It's really easy to get around local/NBC blackouts too which is impossible with CI.

Add in the ability to watch on iPad, iPhone, and maybe just maybe at work and its a slam dunk IMO.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
had to switch to time warner here in charlotte. TWC has got to be the worst provider of center ice in north america.

When the schedule is crowded only select games are available dual feed. Further, no MSG network feed (devils, islanders, sabres or NYR) are in HD. Ever. I'm not sure why this is. So in the event that the nights schedule is crowded, the non-NYR feed is used so that they can provide it in HD--which on some opponents networks I can sit thru, others I can't. Between NHL network games and NBC games, only 28 games are on MSG this year outside of NY market.

With all of this BS above, I'll probably get to watch 15 MSG feed games...in standard definition.

It's an unbelievable situation when compared to direcTV I had last year, where every game was dual feed no matter what, and in HD.

My question after ranting: Gamecenter live on NHL.com--do they provide all feeds, in HD? Does anyone stream from their computer to TV? How is the quality?

Thx

It isn't just TWC, it is cable vs. satellite. As already mentioned satellite has the capability to carry more HD feeds. I switched from Direct TV to FIOS two years ago and regret it for sports. I had to switch though because every time it rained even a bit I would lose the feed completely, so the number of hd feeds is pointless if you aren't getting anything.

Anyway, I love fios but I am really disappointed with their sports packages, no MSG and like you said, not enough HD. So I signed up for GCL (and MLBTV coincidentally) and they look fine with my laptop hooked up to my HDTV, using a quality cable of course, worth the money imo. This year I am using the XBOX app and it looks good, although as you mentioned haven't had the chance to watch the rangers there yet. The other advantage for me getting GCL is that I can watch non-national games at work, which is good because I work nights and weekends sometimes.

my opinion? Worth the money, better than CI on cable.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Thx

I hear you man, had to deal with the same garbage last year with comcast (never MSG, rarely HD). Listening to the Pens homer announcers 6 times a year was not good for my blood pressure.

If you have a good internet connection I would recommend GCL. Quality is way better than SD and they always have an MSG feed unless it's an NBC game. I have only streamed via xbox but it has been flawless for me; there are apple tv and roku apps too with ps3 on the way. The only issue is the roughly minute or so delay you'd have to put up with.

KreiMeARiver*

I've yet to want to watch a game in HD, and NOT find it on DirecTV. I'm not saying there haven't been any, I just haven't seen it.

Sometimes they are a few channels away from each other, but they seem to all be there.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I used GCL from 2007-2009 and switched to CI. This is my first year back with GCL since then and the performance is night and day.

Just FYI in case anyone has not used it in a few years, it has gotten a lot better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad