NHL Center Ice free this year?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I heard some rumors yesterday about this possibly being the case, and then there was mention of it by Ian White in an article today:

White said he heard some “interesting ideas'' on how to reconnect with fans, including having the league provide the NHL Center Ice package for free this season.

“I thought that was a great idea, might even get some new fans if we're giving that away free,'' White said.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_ian_white_labor_deal.html#incart_river

For me, that would probably go a long way. I have written off the NHL this season and am resolved not to spend a dime on the league until at least the beginning of next season, maybe longer, but if CI is free, I'll gladly take it (I'm in Chicago, so without CI, I miss most Wings games). Such a move would likely expedite the process of the league eventually getting me back as both a fan and paying customer. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Would it make a difference for anyone else?

Aug 6, 2012
It's a good idea as it sends a good message but I doubt it happens.

Wouldn't this cause some trouble with cable companies?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I agree it's more likely not to happen, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it does. I'm not sure how the league would work that out with the providers, but I have DirecTV, and in the past 5 years, I've gotten CI for half price once and completely free one other time, all because I simply asked (and maybe threatened to cancel my account), and DirecTV hardly batted an eye. Anyway, I think it would be wise for the league to do.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Without knowing much how Center Ice is distributed, wouldn't it be much easier for the league to give Gamecenter Live subscriptions away for free?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
There's an article about it somewhere but it's rather unlikely for a buncha of reasons. The #1 being it's not just the NHL's call, the company that runs CI (inDemand) and all the providers, DirecTV, Comcast, Verizon, etc all have say in the matter.

The only thing I see possible is maybe you get a 2 for 1 deal. Where you just pay the regular full price but get this year and next year for it.

I think there's a good chance Game Center could be free though.

I've gotten CI every year since 09 and I will not buy it this year unless it is really cheap (say like $50) so if that or Game Center aint free I'll be watching every non-national TV game via stream.

I'll probably give in and buy CI again starting next season though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It was mentioned in a Puck Daddy article as well. I am pretty sure cable and dish companies pay to carry the channel so the NHL could work something out where they reimburse the cable/dish companies. They already have the channels allotted and would carry the game regardless. Premium channels provide free offers all the time so if the NHL wants to do this it should be pretty easy to implement.

rrasco

Mar 13, 2009
They need to figure out a way to make it happen if they ever want money from me again.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
There's an article about it somewhere but it's rather unlikely for a buncha of reasons. The #1 being it's not just the NHL's call, the company that runs CI (inDemand) and all the providers, DirecTV, Comcast, Verizon, etc all have say in the matter.

The only thing I see possible is maybe you get a 2 for 1 deal. Where you just pay the regular full price but get this year and next year for it.

I've gotten CI every year since 09 and I will not buy it this year unless it is really cheap (say like $50) so if that or Game Center aint free I'll be watching every non-national TV game via stream.

I'll probably give in and buy CI again starting next season though.

here's that article

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/6/3843108/why-free-center-ice-simply-cant-happen

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Must be in the same rumor thread of "free healthcare" and "lower taxes." :laugh:

Seriously, no doubt they will do the "free preview" par usual but that is where it will end. Free for every game would likely impact the post season tv contracts.

I have seen a few bloggers/writers suggest this but have not seen a NHL/Center Ice official comment. It appears the indemand folks own part of th epackage so they would need to sign off on this (likely would ask for $$$ from the NHL). The NHL could, if it does not break their TV deal provide their net stream free. From my read, it appears this is more fans looking for something/anything as a payback for the lock out, than League discussion.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/devils-...he-details-12-31-2012-free-center-ice-edition

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3157454

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/301731-NHL-is-back-what-about-Center-Ice?

HockeytownOverhaul

Oct 24, 2011

I heard the same arguements about it and the providers having a say. But I'm not asking for it free, I'm asking the NHL to pay for it for this illegitimate season. Do it like one mentioned before and make it a free subscription so it's only for people who ask for it, I don't care. It'd go a long way towards keeping "the greatest grass, er, fans in the world"

ford42

Dec 12, 2012
Madison,WI
Not going to happen. Its a business, there in it to make money not loose it. They wont be able to see that it will lure fans back.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Finding a way to give it away for free would be a canny move and help to undo the damage they willfully did to their own brand... so naturally it won't happen.

Too bad. I've been a subscriber for a decade but they won't see a dime from me this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think they do this. First of all the providers would hate it, also the players just got 300 million dollars from them so whatever this would cost to get done has likely been taken out by that make whole payment. Maybe if it was still at 200 million the cash would be sitting around.

It would be an interesting move if the players went in on some degree to make this happen, send a message they are working together to help fix some things, guessing there is zero interest though from the PA to do this.

Also in a gate driven league, giving everyone free access without showing up would really be a risky idea. What they could do is make select games available online at nhl.com. Sort of a half way. The NHL just damaged a lot of money, I know a lot of people see this as a way to bridge back, but I think doing this is just too damaging to the bottom line. The pay this year get next year might be something they can make happen, but outright free doesn't seem a particularly wise move in my opinion.

I know people are upset, but they need to keep their head down and let the local teams work on fixing some of the frustration. Sure this would make a lot of big hockey people happy, but it is total desperation in my opinion. They could use NBC Sprots picking up more games this year as well. If reports are right about how much they were complaining and down in ratings then maybe it is time they start picking up more games like they were starting to do after New Years last year. The choice on tv schedule has been annoying for a little while, just Monday and Tuesday needs to stop. They also need to do a better job of picking up double header games. For instance San Jose is on Comcast, why not use their local broadcast feed as a late game, it keeps cost down and provides late night viewers hockey. They don't need NBC on site for all of these games with the local comcast teams they have options on where to pick up more broadcasts and that would be a cheap way to get more hockey on air.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Logically, would it be half-priced for a half season? I'd buy that, I don't see enough Red Wings' games, especially now where all games will be in the Western time zones (CT, MT, PT) and I live in New-Brunswick.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
It usually comes to like $225-$250 for the HD package here. I'm hoping for something like $39.99 for a 1/2 season. Maybe an early bird deal or something. No way it's going to be free.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
It usually comes to like $225-$250 for the HD package here. I'm hoping for something like $39.99 for a 1/2 season. Maybe an early bird deal or something. No way it's going to be free.

When I had comcast it was only $160 (it was $140 when I first got it in 08-09). I recently switched to FiOS but I'm guessing it's around the same price for all providers.

There's no HD package in the US - at least, there never has been in the past. There's the standard $160 deal that has a couple of HD channels and rotates which games go on those channels (almost always the Canadiens, IIRC).

I would love an HD CenterIce package, and I'm rather confused as to why they'd offer it in Canada and not the US...

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Comcast would never let that fly....They are to ego-orientated to let a $250.00 value slide for free..

If it were to happen, Comcast wouldn't lose a dime, so they aren't a factor in this.

The bottom line is, if it were to happen, it would be the league eating all the money. I highly doubt they do it, because they have proven that they do not understand and/or care about long-term investments, and they likely underestimate the damage this lockout has done, but they'd be smart to go through with it.

Either way, I've talked to DirecTV, and I can get CI for free this year. However, I may still turn it down, because in my case DirecTV will eat the cost and the league will get it's money from my subscription. And I don't want that. So I'll only take CI if the league offers it. Otherwise, **** the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad