NHL Center Ice 2006-07 (discussion, etc.)

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I got a letter from COX telling me that they will automatically renew my subscription. They also had this little tidbit...

"In addition to live games, NHL CENTER ICE Extra Stats Central - a new feature to the package - offers a 24/7 feed on channel 671 that is a live source for scores, statistics, game previews, recaps, and schedule information."

Sounds just awesome!!! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :yo: :)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'd pay $500 to get it.

But I can't, as I'm working in Asia and the friggin' NHL has nothing like MLB has with their online streaming package.

LP

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Sounds just awesome!!! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :yo: :)

They had that last year, for me anyway. It wasn't anything that special. Just a 24/7 channel that goes through the leaders for point/goals/assits/wins/shutouts/etc. Plus their live source for scores isn't updated to fast, you find yourself flipping through the channels to view the scores anyway. I'm trying not to burst your bubble or anything, but it's kind of lame, nothing to get excited about.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Does Comcast still refuse to let Center Ice carry the Flyers' feed? I was wondering if the NHL-OLN deal softened their stance in that regard.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Could be wrong but comcast is only seeming to offer it for $189 now in New England

http://www.comcast-ne.com/indemand_order.php

Do you live hockey?
Then get maximum ice time with
NHL CENTER ICE on Comcast Digital Cable.

Get the games that you couldn't otherwise see with up to 40 out-of-market regular season NHL games a week, select games from the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs, plus premier Canadian coverage, including match-ups from CBC's Hockey Night in Canada.

* Blackout restrictions apply.
* Full-season subscription is $189 for the regular season plus the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup.
* NHL Center Ice can be found on Comcast Digital Cable channels 621-630.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well, I think I speak for most of Western Canada when I say this...GO TO HELL SHAW CABLE!

Amen. Shaw thinks its so freakin' important to have NFL Sunday Ticket and like 80 PPV Movie channels, and a dozen French language channels besides the French CBC, but no Centre Ice.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
They had that last year, for me anyway. It wasn't anything that special. Just a 24/7 channel that goes through the leaders for point/goals/assits/wins/shutouts/etc. Plus their live source for scores isn't updated to fast, you find yourself flipping through the channels to view the scores anyway. I'm trying not to burst your bubble or anything, but it's kind of lame, nothing to get excited about.

This thing says though that they now have recaps and previews, something anyway. :dunno:

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
I will definitely get CI again. I was hoping there might be some coverage of the pre-season though. I mean, good grief, look at how many pre-season football games are being shown on network tv. :cry:

Skroob*

That's if you want to watch the Islanders and Devils or some of the crappy OLN match ups:shakehead

CI is needed.HNIC.Grapes.Satellite Hotstove.TSN games.Watching Bob McKenzie between periods of the TSN games.The Sportsnet games with Vancouver,Edmonton and Calgary in the west.The WJC games on TSN

yeah, but seeing whats gonna happen to NJ or NYI has far more impact to us than say Nashville vs. Dallas. in the end, there is more invested in the other local teams for a NYR fan (or a NJ fan in NYI NYR games, etc) than the "other matchups"

cstu

May 6, 2004
Amen. Shaw thinks its so freakin' important to have NFL Sunday Ticket and like 80 PPV Movie channels, and a dozen French language channels besides the French CBC, but no Centre Ice.

What is their rationale for not carrying it?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What is their rationale for not carrying it?

If I remember correctly, it's something like the channels they have now combined with cable internet services and their new internet phone capabilities require most of their resources, and they simply don't have the room to add the necessary channels for CI.

The stupid thing is that according to Bell's ExpressVu programming guide, Centre Ice takes up only 9 channels (#s 426-435). All they'd have to do is lose 3 or 4 PPV channels (do we really need The Pink Panther or Basic Instinct 2 to have 4+ channels apiece?) and a handful of unnecessary digital channels and they'd be set.

I guess it's just another in a long line of stupid decisions by Shaw though. I mean, according to Census figures, Francophones make up less than 2% of the population of BC, and there are something like 8 French-language channels (the French CBC [SRC], RDS, and a bunch of standard network stations.). Meanwhile people primarily speaking neither French nor English are like 25% of BC, and there are only 3 or 4 channels that carry regular programming in languages like Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Punjabi, etc.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
Whoa!!!

Found this

$199 CDN-early bird/Get the NHL® CI® Early Bird Offer for 4 easy payments of $49.75.

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpTv_Nhl_Eform.page

The CAD dollar is currently .8995 for 1 USD.$179 US

They are charging the Canadians more than the Americans

Damn! Your dollar is up to 90 cents on ours!!! Jeez, I knew it was flailing against the Euro and the Pound but whoa, I can remember when it wasnt even close to that.

Makes sense that they charge you all more; more interest. How much is Sunday ticket? Here is stupid expensive, 17 Sundays will run you $220 despite there being four to six national games every week to begin with for regular cable subscribers.

Compare that to $140-180 (dep on your service arrangement; I got NBA League Pass for $134 one year in SB) for 82 NHL or NBA games and 162 MLB games.

But I digress, how much is Sunday Ticket in Canada?

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The price will be the same everywhere in the US. The price is set by the NHL, not by the satellite/cable companies.

Cusick-n-Sanderson

Could be wrong but comcast is only seeming to offer it for $189 now in New England

http://www.comcast-ne.com/indemand_order.php

Do you live hockey?
Then get maximum ice time with
NHL CENTER ICE on Comcast Digital Cable.

Get the games that you couldn't otherwise see with up to 40 out-of-market regular season NHL games a week, select games from the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs, plus premier Canadian coverage, including match-ups from CBC's Hockey Night in Canada.

* Blackout restrictions apply.
* Full-season subscription is $189 for the regular season plus the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup.
* NHL Center Ice can be found on Comcast Digital Cable channels 621-630.

I called Comcast last night to ask if they had an Early Bird special ...
first the girl said she had no idea what "center ice" was whatsoever... :banghead:
After I explained it to her, she put me on hold and came back and said, yes,
there will be an Early Bird special "around" $149, but it was not available
for order yet and she didn't know when it would be, but to "watch my cable
box for messages..." Sigh.

Does CI carry any pre-season games? AKA should I get it ASAP?

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
If I remember correctly, it's something like the channels they have now combined with cable internet services and their new internet phone capabilities require most of their resources, and they simply don't have the room to add the necessary channels for CI.

The stupid thing is that according to Bell's ExpressVu programming guide, Centre Ice takes up only 9 channels (#s 426-435). All they'd have to do is lose 3 or 4 PPV channels (do we really need The Pink Panther or Basic Instinct 2 to have 4+ channels apiece?) and a handful of unnecessary digital channels and they'd be set.

I guess it's just another in a long line of stupid decisions by Shaw though. I mean, according to Census figures, Francophones make up less than 2% of the population of BC, and there are something like 8 French-language channels (the French CBC [SRC], RDS, and a bunch of standard network stations.). Meanwhile people primarily speaking neither French nor English are like 25% of BC, and there are only 3 or 4 channels that carry regular programming in languages like Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Punjabi, etc.

Those numbers are only good for BC though. Shaw covers all of Western Canada. Right now the only French channel I get is SRC. I would love to have RDS and some of the other network channels, since they seem to show a lot of great movies.

Is there a cable company in Manitoba that gets you CI? I'm gonna try to find out if MTS TV has it, but MTS seems pretty expensive if you ask me. Stupid Shaw. I never knew they didn't have CI. This is making me angry.

Moose Lips

Aug 15, 2006
East Berlin
Those numbers are only good for BC though. Shaw covers all of Western Canada. Right now the only French channel I get is SRC. I would love to have RDS and some of the other network channels, since they seem to show a lot of great movies.

Is there a cable company in Manitoba that gets you CI? I'm gonna try to find out if MTS TV has it, but MTS seems pretty expensive if you ask me. Stupid Shaw. I never knew they didn't have CI. This is making me angry.

Nothing but Nhl Network/TSN, Sportnet and of course HNIC for hockey in Winnipeg unless you go to a satellite service. Although MTS is much better service overall, they still don't offer Centre Ice. When I inquired about it last season both Shaw and MTS claimed it would come available this year. Still waiting and sick of watching only Flames and Leafs games on english channels. Normally end up watching the Habs on Radio-Canada on saturdays (have to put all those french classes to some use :D)

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
Yeah, I would gladly pay $300/year for CI if Shaw had it. It really doesn't matter to me. I live in BC and can't watch many Oiler games here. They are my favourite team. Hockey is my favourite sport. It's totally worth the money in my books.

Unfortunately Shaw doesn't see it that way...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad