NHL can expect fight on rule change proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
invader Zim said:
The NHL really has no choice. All the Fans who walked away from the game, do to Boredom. Won't Come back twice, if they see the Same old same old.
What were the rules like when those fans got hooked the first time?

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
Weary said:
What were the rules like when those fans got hooked the first time?
It's not Question what the Rules were then. IT's How The Game was played.

And The Trap does'nt allow that kind of action anymore.

Last edited:
AH said:
Taking out the redline will slow the game down further. The trap zone will become wider, hence even more defensive hockey.

Not if the obstruction is indeed going to be called Zero Tolerance. The one thing that always broke a trap down was speed. If the defensive players aren't allowed to slow down the rushing forwards AT ALL, than I don't care how big or small the "trap zone" is you can't stop them from gaining the line. Can not.

Even if you line five guys across the blue line; congratulations you now have five pylons standing still while attackers are skating full speed. Who do you suppose would get the puck on a dump in hmmm?

The key is for consistent officiating on obstruction. Which by the way is the whole reason the redline doesn't work in Europe. The officiating is beyond brutal with few exceptions.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
invader Zim said:
It's not Question what the Rules were then. IT's How The Game was played.

And The Trap does'nt allow that kind of action anymore.
Smaller neutral zone = Good for the trap
No tag-up offsides = Good for the trap

How the game is played is affected by the rules.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Can anyone explain the opposition to the shootout while allowing the 4-on-4 novelty act to decide regular season overtime? Allowing the shootout is, to me, just an extension of the circus routine introduced by the 4-on-4. If we want to keep that, we might have a shootout after it as well. If we roll back the clock to no OT, or at least 5-on-5 OT, I'm all for that. I despise 4-on-4 OT.

As far as the red line situation goes...

The experience in college hockey is far more relevant than what happens in the Finnish or Czech league because it is happening in North America and overall plays a North American style of hockey (which you will not find being played in European leagues for the most part).

However, we don't need any rules changes to increase speed and offense in the game. We merely need officials that can read the existing rulebook and enforce it accordingly...even if it means calling 30-40 penalties a game for the first 20 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->