NHL calls BOG meeting March 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs9x

Nov 16, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Visit site
In the article, Saskin says that "he couldn't have seen anything worse than the offer made on Saturday".

Well guess what, Saskin. Your NHLPA is going to be looking at a 30 mil cap number, no guaranteed contracts, and linkage pretty soon. I hope you enjoy that offer.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
It woulb be funny if an owner comes out of the meeting and says:

'We have philosophical differences'

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
bcrt2000 said:
I hope this is focused on the NHL's next move to get a deal done before ESPN's opt-out option deadline comes up

And to that effect I hope they knock some sense into a couple of the hardnosed teams still hoping to pass the NHL's first proposal way back in September. :rolleyes:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I imagine they'll have to do nuts and bolts things like figure out how to sign 2003 draftees and have the 2005 draft (or not).

Seems to me there is a chance that they may begin the long and costly process of getting the replacement era started by figuring out how best to approach it in court. They've probably already begun that process but they are now at a point where they need to proceed.

Let me ask the business minded posters a question: is there any way to establish at this time that the union is attempting to cripple the league to the point where they are no longer able to compete against a new league? With that in mind, could the WHA rumblings actually enhance this NHL argument? Would the NHL need to establish that there is a threat to their existence and that the NHLPA is unfairly aiding that possibility? Is that possible at this time? Would 2.1 billion thrown out the window be proof of that or simply proof of insanity?

Or is that not plausible. Thanks in advance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's probably to declare an impasse, but still look to getting a deal done as a top priority.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
ti-vite said:
It woulb be funny if an owner comes out of the meeting and says:

'We have philosophical differences'

^ I hate how they always use the term 'philosophical differences'.
Like.. WTF is so philosophical about their differences?

Nothing against what you said, I just hate when the NHL and PA use them.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
It's probably to declare an impasse, but still look to getting a deal done as a top priority.

The NHL won't declare Impasse in March, it simply makes NO SENSE. The IDEAL result of impasse is that the NHL implements there CBA, and has LARGE numbers of NHLPA members cross the picket line, before all the court precedings start.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Egil said:
The NHL won't declare Impasse in March, it simply makes NO SENSE. The IDEAL result of impasse is that the NHL implements there CBA, and has LARGE numbers of NHLPA members cross the picket line, before all the court precedings start.

And throw decertification into the mix, as the NFL and the NBA threatened.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Egil said:

Maybe not March, but probably by May.

Perhaps they want to put more pressure on the players if they actually watch the entire summer as replacement players are slowing being signed.

They also need start planning for next season. Sponsorships, they have to figure out what to do with a TV deal. Normal things they have to do to prepare for a season, whether it happens or not.

Mighty Duck said:
And throw decertification into the mix, as the NFL and the NBA threatened.

The NHL can't decertify the NHLPA. Only the NHLPA can do that.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NHL can declare an impasse in September and open up camps with the purpose of having players cross in order to break the union.Mike Modano would cross.There are probably more than enough players in financial straits who would cross.The NHL is not going to sit around waiting for Bob Goodenow.Whether or not they are successful is another story

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Maybe not March, but probably by May.

Perhaps they want to put more pressure on the players if they actually watch the entire summer as replacement players are slowing being signed.

They also need start planning for next season. Sponsorships, they have to figure out what to do with a TV deal. Normal things they have to do to prepare for a season, whether it happens or not.

This makes no sense. Signing replacement players is near trivial, and owners can aproach players before the impasse is declared. If you declare impasse is say May, then its in court and decided BEFORE the season starts. Since there is a VERY good chance that the NHL will in fact lose, they will want to ensure they declare impasse at the last possible second.

I also don't know if the NHL will go down the impasse route. Impasse doesn't mean the owners win, but it does basically put an end to the proceedings, one way or another. However, if the owners think they can get the PA to completely cave next January, they very well might not declare impasse at all. It is a less risky strategy to not declare impasse than to declare impasse.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Egil said:
This makes no sense. Signing replacement players is near trivial, and owners can aproach players before the impasse is declared. If you declare impasse is say May, then its in court and decided BEFORE the season starts. Since there is a VERY good chance that the NHL will in fact lose, they will want to ensure they declare impasse at the last possible second.

I also don't know if the NHL will go down the impasse route. Impasse doesn't mean the owners win, but it does basically put an end to the proceedings, one way or another. However, if the owners think they can get the PA to completely cave next January, they very well might not declare impasse at all. It is a less risky strategy to not declare impasse than to declare impasse.

I totally agree. If I were the NHL, I wouldn't declare impasse either.

But they have to get to the marketing, sell season tickets, figure out how exactly they get people to come out and watch this soupy drek, and have a draft.

That's because they would lose when they go before the labor board.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Vagabond said:
^ I hate how they always use the term 'philosophical differences'.
Like.. WTF is so philosophical about their differences?

Nothing against what you said, I just hate when the NHL and PA use them.

That why it would be funny, and probably true. Another good one would be:

'The process is moving forward'.

Love that one! I think they are going backwards, but hey, everything is relative!

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

I honestly doubt the NHL will go for an impasse. Starting w/o two of your strongest markets in Vancouver and Montreal will not be good. Although BC could probably change its labour laws if Bettman throws a little bling-bling down Gordon's way.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
ODC said:
I honestly doubt the NHL will go for an impasse. Starting w/o two of your strongest markets in Vancouver and Montreal will not be good. Although BC could probably change its labour laws if Bettman throws a little bling-bling down Gordon's way.

I think you underestimate the power of hockey in Canada. If the NHL declared an impasse and everyone was playing hockey except Vancouver and Montreal, Those provinces would very quickly make a Sports Labour exception law. Just call it a hunch, the pressure from the fans would be enormous to get the government on that.

I think the bigger issue with impasse is the the NRLB only allows Americans as replacents during a labour dispute. And frankly that leaves a lot of NHL players from Canada and Europe playing for american teams trying to sign up North. Can you imagine Tampa without the Canadians and Euro players? Not a lot left over.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
s7ark said:
I think you underestimate the power of hockey in Canada. If the NHL declared an impasse and everyone was playing hockey except Vancouver and Montreal, Those provinces would very quickly make a Sports Labour exception law. Just call it a hunch, the pressure from the fans would be enormous to get the government on that.

I think the bigger issue with impasse is the the NRLB only allows Americans as replacents during a labour dispute. And frankly that leaves a lot of NHL players from Canada and Europe playing for american teams trying to sign up North. Can you imagine Tampa without the Canadians and Euro players? Not a lot left over.

No way they would change laws for that, not even in Canada. As well, labour laws in BOTH countries prevent foreign replacement workers. The NHL would be EURO free.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
mrs9x said:
In the article, Saskin says that "he couldn't have seen anything worse than the offer made on Saturday".

Well guess what, Saskin. Your NHLPA is going to be looking at a 30 mil cap number, no guaranteed contracts, and linkage pretty soon. I hope you enjoy that offer.

If you had read the article completely, it says that the salary cap wasn't even discussed. From now until at least entry draft time, the NHLPA has leverage. The NHL really wants this to be settled so they can have a draft and market the game over the summer. I can't see the NHL really wanting to use replacement players, aside from all the legalities. If you can't market the real thing, what makes you think you can market an inferior product successfully.

The deal you just said wouldn't happen until the cancellation of the season next year.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I am not so sure the NHLPA is considered a union in Quebec. I don't think using replacements in Montreal would be a problem.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
impasse is a non-option. It's too dangerous to the players' morale.

If you want to see the Players hating Owners for decades to come, impasse will do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->