GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What if we just stick to UFA's. Is there a guy or list of guys that would accomplish that goal of landing a legit #2RW front. Would taking a chance that Donskoi can become that guy be acceptable? What about Corey Perry? Or do you think they have to target legit guys on top of their game, like a Zuco?

I like the idea of Hartman or Perry. Also would hate letting Heinen play #1RW and Pasta #2RW.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
In Flames kicked unholy ass until they decided to experiment and put out "Reroute to Remain" and "Soundtrack to Your Escape". "Come Clarity" was something approaching a return and then everything just went to ****.
Bingo. Couldn’t agree with you more. Whoracle , Colony , Clayman was their peak . They sound like Korn now . Sad

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No big names or even middle of the road names will be signed this off season unless cap space is opened up. Majority of the money that is available is going to our RFAs. Anyone expecting fireworks will be let down.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
What if we just stick to UFA's. Is there a guy or list of guys that would accomplish that goal of landing a legit #2RW front. Would taking a chance that Donskoi can become that guy be acceptable? What about Corey Perry? Or do you think they have to target legit guys on top of their game, like a Zuco?
Finally I can get my Thomas Vanek. Not sorry.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Of top six forwards? Too many to count.

I could mention specifics, but then we'd argue about those when they don't really matter. What matters is the concept. The hole. Fill the hole.

For what it's worth, I don't actually mind your Bobby Ryan idea.

What if we just stick to UFA's. In your opinion, is there a guy or list of guys that would accomplish that goal of landing a legit #2RW front. Would taking a chance that Donskoi can become that guy be acceptable? What about Corey Perry? Or do you think they have to target legit guys on top of their game, like a Zuco?

The reason I'm asking is because I've dissected that list of UFA's backward and forward and I feel like there's no clear 'sure thing' solution in free agency. Maybe if you look at left shots. There are a lot more left shots than right shots so maybe that's the direction they go. They don't seem to let handedness influence their drafting... but then you wonder if a left shot will work there.

I feel like the real answer is in trade. We have ELEVEN defensemen who are on the team or were good during their stints on the team last year. 11 NHL ready defensemen. You'll never play them all. Dealing a D for a F makes too much sense, but Sweeney seems gunshy with regard to hockey trades ever since he dealt Reilly Smith for Jimmy Hayes.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Donskoi is a non-starter to me.

Perry with Dom's proposed bonus structure? I'd give it a B.

Thumbs up to cats like Zuccarello, Lee and Pavelski. Out of those, I like Lee the most with Heinen on Krejci's right and DeBrusk the f*** off of his line with Coyle.

I do figure however (guessing here), that the solution doesn't lie in free agency. That it comes via trade. Makes it very difficult for me to predict a name.

EDIT: I think we're thinking alike in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
No big names or even middle of the road names will be signed this off season unless cap space is opened up. Majority of the money that is available is going to our RFAs. Anyone expecting fireworks will be let down.

My fire-works, will be the Grand Finale and that's when Backes is dealt.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JOKER 192

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
What if we just stick to UFA's. In your opinion, is there a guy or list of guys that would accomplish that goal of landing a legit #2RW front. Would taking a chance that Donskoi can become that guy be acceptable? What about Corey Perry? Or do you think they have to target legit guys on top of their game, like a Zuco?

The reason I'm asking is because I've dissected that list of UFA's backward and forward and I feel like there's no clear 'sure thing' solution in free agency. Maybe if you look at left shots. There are a lot more left shots than right shots so maybe that's the direction they go. They don't seem to let handedness influence their drafting... but then you wonder if a left shot will work there.

I feel like the real answer is in trade. We have ELEVEN defensemen who are on the team or were good during their stints on the team last year. 11 NHL ready defensemen. You'll never play them all. Dealing a D for a F makes too much sense, but Sweeney seems gunshy with regard to hockey trades ever since he dealt Reilly Smith for Jimmy Hayes.
I have a hard time seeing them adding anyone of impact unless it’s via trade. They don’t have the money.

Unless Krug is on the way out which seems unlikely. Or Backes which seems like a pipe dream

member 96824

Chicago signing Hossa brought them 3 cups.

Fair, but I would argue that's much more the exception than the rule. For one Hossa, the counterexamples are David Backes, Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Paul Stastny, John Tavares, Kyle Okposo, Eric Staal, Milan Lucic, Andrew Ladd, Kevin Shattenkirk, etc. etc. etc.

Do you feel there are any Marian Hossa's out there in this years crop? I ask because it seems like from your posting since the moment the cup was handed out, you're more craving a move just to make a move than anything else(not trying to make this personal, but just my observation).

Like, if Don gave out that 6 mil for 5 year contract to Mats Zuccarello, I'd be outside of TD right now with a hammer and a megaphone.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Bingo. Couldn’t agree with you more. ****acle , Colony , Clayman was their peak . They sound like Korn now . Sad

Right on, dude. Don't forget Jester Race. Artifacts of the Black Rain Is an amazing song! Every single one of those albums you mentioned was epic and I still play the shit out of them.

Reactions: Zillah

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Never thought he would get here and said it last year Anders Lee is the guy. Get rid of Backes and miller however you need to and get him 5/38. 7.5 should be able to get it done. He’s a leader and right up the Bruins alley character wise

63-37-88
Lee-46-43/74
43/74-13-10/83
20-52-14

Am I the only one that likes JDB on the right?

Maybe it’s anecdotal, but it seems like he’s scored some goals and made some nice rushes coming down the right wing.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I like the idea of Hartman or Perry. Also would hate letting Heinen play #1RW and Pasta #2RW.
I don't hate the Perry idea, but only if they can get him on a 1 year deal.

I don't hate Pasta as the #2RW, but if that happens it can't be with DeBrusk. They've tried that repeatedly and it doesn't work. But if they got someone like Puljujarvi I think that top line would be a great spot for him and then you build a new line around DK and Pasta. But again, that's lots of moving parts and I'm not sure Sweeney's interested in reinventing the wheel.

Reactions: Coach Parker

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Ya man. The TDL makes more sense to me anyways.

They have to have roster spots open for at least one guy for competition sake among the forward group.

Not that I’d complain if they added a legit top 6 RW with size, a mean streak , slick hands and smooth skating skills.

I also slept in a holiday inn last night so am feeling incredibly positive today

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

That's the deal I would have made. @GloryDaze4877 has made some good arguments about moving a vet or two and getting younger. I think it's a valid plan, to try to bridge the gap between the mid-30 guys (Bergeron, Krejci and Rask) and the new core coming up in their early 20's (McAvoy, Pasta, DeBrusk)

My Plan A this offseason would have been to sign Duchene and trade Krejci for a RW. I understand them wanting to give this group another kick at the can, but how many teams, in all of hockey history, have won a Cup when their top2 centers were in their mid-30's? I went back 25 years and couldn't find one. I think Krejci's on his last 12 months as a Bruin regardless. They can't keep him and sign Krug, Coyle, Gryz and DeBrusk next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->