GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So frustrating....winger by committee

Personally, I'd take winger by committee over the center by committee that they had last year.

The thing for me is that whatever wingers end up on the right wing of either the second or third line are going to be the third best player on that line, and I think that's ok. I think, assuming they keep similar lines as the end of last year, Krejci & DeBrusk and Coyle & Heinen are good starts to your 2nd and 3rd lines. I think they're going to have an easier time filling those spots internally than they did filling the center spot last year.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
@BB88, @Fenian24

I always felt like the best lines were a blend of skill, speed and power. All those Chicago Cup winners, they always found a way to compliment Toews and Kane with a bruiser who could create a little chaos and go to the net, whether it was Byfuglien, Ladd or even a guy like Bickell. LA did it too, flanking Kopitar and Gaborik with Dustin Brown. Pittsburgh's recent cup winning teams are given a lot of credit for being fast but again, that top line was Crosby, Sheary and Hornqvist. Hornqvist isn't the biggest guy but he threw over 200 hits in 2017. He plays that simple, greasy game and when a guy goes to the net it draws defenders and creates space for the skill guys. Washington is one of the most skilled teams in the league and they stuck a pure banger like Wilson with two of the most talented players in the world and it helped them get a Cup. St.Louis has O'Reilly and Schenn as hitters and heavy down low bodies in their top6...

I think Sweeney acknowledged this too in his press conference the other day. He said they have this identity they're building towards (which I think is about skill and speed on the wings) and he said you don't want to lose that but at the same time you have to recognize that the playoffs are a different style and you have to able to adapt to that.
I know we don’t encourage violence anymore. But it would be nice if Boston had a guy or two that could play top 6 minutes and hit to hurt.

Think they got a little lucky this year with the matchups in the playoffs. Once they ran up against a bigger d group they couldn’t wear down skating in circles the 5 on 5 scoring became an issue.

Having an Anderson or Ferland type could help against those types of d units going forward. If nothing else it could balance the scales a bit as far as injured defenceman go in a series which Boston seems to be on the wrong side of consistently

Reactions: Strafer

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Bjork & Studnicka are my picks

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen
DeBrusk - Krejci - Pastrnak
Bjork - Coyle - Ritchie
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner
Kuhlman

Thanks to those who caught my error, with Coyle centering the third and fourth lines. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty93 and DKH

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Sounds like last year. We will go into the season again with questions on the second and third line. Good job Sweeney. Guy thinks he is a genius going after the bottom bin players, but eventually it’s going to bite him in the butt. He lucked out particularly with Johanssen last year, but you can’t expect that every scrap pick up will work.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Well, I suppose just because Sweeney didn't make MoJo an offer, doesn't mean they can't work something out eventually. DS assumed he'd get interest elsewhere, and why make an offer when you need to get the RFAs (Carlo, McAvoy) settled first.

Maybe if no other teams go for MoJo, he'll consider a Boston offer. That's assuming there's any cap space left, of course.

It'd be great to have him back, but there are a few priorities ahead of him.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Gm of the year should be fired immediately for this statement
Actually statements like that is why he's GM of the year.

Why would he show his hand?

A little posturing maybe? He knows he will need help on both the second and 3rd lines and maybe someone will step up but no GM in their right mind is going to under sell their players when their looking to add help.

Reactions: Spooner st and Nibd

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Actually statements like that is why he's GM of the year.

Why would he show his hand?

A little posturing maybe? He knows he will need help on both the second and 3rd lines and maybe someone will step up but no GM in their right mind is going to under sell their players when their looking to add help.
Amend my immediate reaction to if it is true the Gm of the year needs to be fired immediately

Reactions: Nibd and TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Amend my immediate reaction to if it is true the Gm of the year needs to be fired immediately

I think Sweeney is a very bright man and has his cards all lined up.

With Johansson, maybe he didn't make an official offer to Mojo but it doesn't mean they haven't talked terms. You never hear too many rumors since Sweeney been in charge because he doesn't show his hand, he's actually very keen and usually is a step or two ahead of the media and has the canniness to play them right into his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->