GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
So a 27 year old who just averaged 18-18-36 and 177 hits the past 3 seasons isn't worth 3.5 per over four seasons? In today's NHL?

Beleskey had one fluke year, they took a chance and lost, it happens...so now every forward that hits and can score 15-18 goals is a Beleskey?

I don't care they didn't sign him, but the contract was a good one for IMO a good player. Vancouver did well.
He may be worth that contract his year, but years 2-3-4 I am not interested in finding out.
I am against late 20's power forwards as free agent signings. We traded Lucic and the rationale was "Power Forwards decline faster". It was 100% correct, but then the Bruins tried to get what they lost in the forms of Beleskey and Backes and it failed. I was 100% against those signings before they even happened.

I actually want the Bruins to try and draft and develop this type of talent rather than sign it or find it in the trade market. GM's overvalue 'grit' and 'toughness' and they usually overpay big time in free agency or in the trade market.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
There is really only 3 UFAs left that have any interest to me.

Justin Williams. But not more than a one year deal for him.

Brian Boyle. If Coyle moves up to wing on top 2 lines I think he’d be a perfect veteran add to 3rd line. Tough. Defensively responsible. Can score. Play wing or center. Not more than a 1 year deal there too.

Ryan Dzingel. Only guy I’d go more than a year for. Numbers have gone up every year he has been in the league. Can play all 3 forward spots if need be. Is 27. At most a 4 year deal would end at 31. Sweet spot of his career.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Ferland was thought to get 5/25 by many here or that was the perceived price.

If Sweeney signs him to 4/14...what a genius, waited out the market and got a very good piece for the third line.

Signs somewhere else for 4/14. He's another Beleskey
I don't think it's a bad comparable. There are a lot of physical guys in the league besides Beleskey that have gotten worse as they start to approach 30. Ferland was always going to be a risk to do the same and I think the amount that he signed for is further proof that a lot of teams think the same way. Ferland has had a total of 8 injuries since 2017 - mostly minor, but those miles start to add up.

Ironically Beleskey was rumoured to get a much larger contract than we ended up giving him as well - didn't turn out well for us.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There is really only 3 UFAs left that have any interest to me.

Justin Williams. But not more than a one year deal for him.

Brian Boyle. If Coyle moves up to wing on top 2 lines I think he’d be a perfect veteran add to 3rd line. Tough. Defensively responsible. Can score. Play wing or center. Not more than a 1 year deal there too.

Ryan Dzingel. Only guy I’d go more than a year for. Numbers have gone up every year he has been in the league. Can play all 3 forward spots if need be. Is 27. At most a 4 year deal would end at 31. Sweet spot of his career.
f*** Justin Williams.

Reactions: bbfan419

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Unless they start to develop some power-forwards (how long will that take?) they can sign them or trade for them. I rather not give up assets and pay - but thats just me.

Also, just because Ferland didn't do much for Carolina in the playoffs, doesn't mean he couldn't be a good fit here. He may have been injured also - don't know.

I'm fine with Sweeney not giving out anymore bad F/A contracts, but Johansson and Ferland deals don't look crazy to me...

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Unless they start to develop some power-forwards (how long will that take?) they can sign them or trade for them. I rather not give up assets and pay - but thats just me.

Also, just because Ferland didn't do much for Carolina in the playoffs, doesn't mean he couldn't be a good fit here. He may have been injured also - don't know.

I'm fine with Sweeney not giving out anymore bad F/A contracts, but Johansson and Ferland deals don't look crazy to me...

Yup, Krejci money...

Reactions: bbfan419

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He may be worth that contract his year, but years 2-3-4 I am not interested in finding out.
I am against late 20's power forwards as free agent signings. We traded Lucic and the rationale was "Power Forwards decline faster". It was 100% correct, but then the Bruins tried to get what they lost in the forms of Beleskey and Backes and it failed. I was 100% against those signings before they even happened.

I actually want the Bruins to try and draft and develop this type of talent rather than sign it or find it in the trade market. GM's overvalue 'grit' and 'toughness' and they usually overpay big time in free agency or in the trade market.

Ok fair enough, good post.

Reactions: finchster

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Nice deal for Vancouver with Ferland. Wouldn't of hated him at that price but I'm actually happy with the approach we've taken so far. Take a shot with Brett Ritchie to start the year in the bottom 6 and if he sucks he can be moved to Providence/13th forward. Low risk/high reward is where we should be with our cap situation.

I'd still be looking at Nick Ritchie if I'm the Bruins, he is slowly trending in the right direction and he might turn into a solid 40-45 point producer. Now would be the time to get him before he takes the next step. He's still young and all that.

Reactions: Strafer

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I don't want to be in MTL position or any other team in their position.
Although Mtl will tell you they have a good future with poehling , Caufield, Suzuki ,kotkeniemi, etc... I can't see them winning a cup for a very long time however Boston imo
Needs a stronger offensive corps and basically sitting on what we have isn't assuring to most fans

We were one win away from the cup, but no its still no assuring to most fans or myself. I think we all know Tampa and Washington being knocked out so early won't happen again. We have a prime chance. We DO need another Top 6 RW. But we just don't have the space to offer sheet a notable RFA. Maybe if we had Backes fully off the books, but even then, it's likely nothing the other team wouldn't match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad