GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I agree, they shouldn't just hand it to him. Obviously he should earn it.

I'm just saying, we've seen guys (marchand) do nothing in there first stints and turn into NHLer's the next season. If he earns a crack at the third line center spot out of camp I'm not going to lose my mind because of last season.
I think a lot of this hesitancy comes from these young players not earning those cracks, but being placed in those positions out of necessity. JFK and Frederic last year were fill ins because we had no other options. Much like Nordstrom getting time on Krejci's wing.

The roster is filled with free agent signings for the very depth positions that young players could potentially fill sans pressure to score, leaving only spots of critical importance open.

If the Bruins were rebuilding, I'd be more open to something along these lines. But we're in win-now territory and key areas are being addressed with crossed fingers. The sense of urgency I feel as a fan is in direct conflict with an apathetic management. It's frustrating.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Idk man. Howd it work out the last time we signed a injury prone physical player coming off a career year at age 26.

I don't want to ruin the surprise, but we bought him out within two years and he's still counting against our cap to play in the Rangers system.
Beleskey had one decent season, Ferland has been solid for at least three and has played top line minutes in Calgary and Carolina, something Beleskey never did.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Idk man. Howd it work out the last time we signed a injury prone physical player coming off a career year at age 26.

I don't want to ruin the surprise, but we bought him out within two years and he's still counting against our cap to play in the Rangers system.
You described Beleskey. You didn't describe Ferland. Also, we didn't buy Beleskey out.

Reactions: bbfan419

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Beleskey had one decent season, Ferland has been solid for at least three and has played top line minutes in Calgary and Carolina, something Beleskey never did.

So ferland put up .47 points per game over the last three seasons while getting time with the top lines

Beleskey put up .43 points per game over that same period in his career not getting time with the top lines.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
And Sweeney is back to a D-, GM of the year my ***

Can't wait to watch Bjork take what should be Ferlands spot and get bounced around every night until he has another season ending injury. Maybe we can add Henrik Borgstrom or Dominick Kahun in Ferlands place. ******* pathetic
Again I said in a previous post but it's stupid to think that players only chase the money and term. For all we know Sweeney offered this identical contract and Ferland preferred to stay in Canada or live on the West Coast or whatever other hundred non-monetary reason there may be.

I would have loved him at that price as well, but I wasn't in the meetings with Sweeney and co to comment on the effort they made to sign him.

Reactions: Chief Nine

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
The roster is filled with free agent signings for the very depth positions that young players could potentially fill sans pressure to score, leaving only spots of critical importance open.
I don't see it. The plan appears to be having a veteran 4th line able to match up & shut down opposing 1/2 lines, leaving more favorable match-ups for the other lines. We have two wing slots open. If you want to work a young winger into the lineup, where better than with a strong established center and a really good 2-way winger with experience on the other side?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
And Sweeney is back to a D-, GM of the year my ***

Can't wait to watch Bjork take what should be Ferlands spot and get bounced around every night until he has another season ending injury. Maybe we can add Henrik Borgstrom or Dominick Kahun in Ferlands place. ******* pathetic

Haha, I love these meltdowns.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Beleskey had one decent season, Ferland has been solid for
at least three and has played top line minutes in Calgary and Carolina, something Beleskey never did.
Here are their stats in the 3 seasons leading up to free agency (I only picked 3 seasons based on your post above saying that he was solid for at least three):

Player A: 162 games 39 goals, 30 assists 0.425P/GP - Playoffs: 28 GP 12 goals, 4 points 0.57P/GP
Player B: 224 GP 53 Goals, 53 assists 0.47P/GP - Playoffs 11GP, 1 Assist

People love to forget that Beleskey was signed to this deal because of the monstrous playoff run he had with 8 goals. Ferland on the other hand hasn't proven much, even if we include his first playoff run his stats are 20 gp, 3 goals 3 assists. Additionally Beleskey played often with Getzlaf or Perry, so to ignore that he could play up the lineup is also wrong.

Ferland can easily end up being another Beleskey - I have my doubts but would have taken the risk at 3.5 mil.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m going to get a hot fudge sundae later tonight in honor of the almost Bruins third line

Johansson-Coyle- Ferland

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Guessing you missed his shifts with kesler and Silfverberg or Perry and Getzlaf for a whole season?

The poster I quoted said he didn't get top line minutes. I know he did in his final year, when he was a monster in the playoffs playing with Perry and Getzlaf.

Did Ferland even play in the playoffs this season?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The poster I quoted said he didn't get top line minutes. I know he did in his final year, when he was a monster in the playoffs playing with Perry and Getzlaf.

Did Ferland even play in the playoffs this season?

Reactions: Clode

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What role do you think McAvoys injury history will play in negotiations...think it keeps both sides to shorter term and $, and a bigger payday down the road?

He’s an absolute gem but averaging 20+ games a year on the shelf so far...

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
You seem to forget the vast amount of other high caliber players on our team taking up space. Would you rather us be in Montreal's position? Missing the playoffs with less good players, but more cap space so they can do big exciting offer sheets?

I don't want to be in MTL position or any other team in their position.
Although Mtl will tell you they have a good future with poehling , Caufield, Suzuki ,kotkeniemi, etc... I can't see them winning a cup for a very long time however Boston imo
Needs a stronger offensive corps and basically sitting on what we have isn't assuring to most fans

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
I'm fine with not paying ferland for 4 years. He's had two 40 point seasons, and then it's 25 points or less. Injured and misses games every season. will be 31 when the contract ends. And he doesn't perform in the playoffs.

...and he's also had alcohol problems in the past, as well as being charged with assault
(said charges were subsequently dismissed). Maybe alcohol problems go away....and
maybe they don't. But perhaps the Bruins were a bit gun shy with this in Ferland's
not too distant history.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So glad we avoided another buyout (Micheal Ferland) in waiting.

So a 27 year old who just averaged 18-18-36 and 177 hits the past 3 seasons isn't worth 3.5 per over four seasons? In today's NHL?

Beleskey had one fluke year, they took a chance and lost, it happens...so now every forward that hits and can score 15-18 goals is a Beleskey?

I don't care they didn't sign him, but the contract was a good one for IMO a good player. Vancouver did well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad