Not open for further replies.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Or perhaps the ole "cap out"
Excuse .
The cap is there and always will be .
What's DS to do ..sorry folks
Can't do anything because of the cap... Don't think the fans will accept that. .

You seem to forget the vast amount of other high caliber players on our team taking up space. Would you rather us be in Montreal's position? Missing the playoffs with less good players, but more cap space so they can do big exciting offer sheets?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This board is funny sometimes. Lots here have been complaining for years that they can't find Krejci a wing and keep trying kids and 3rd/4th line caliber guys up there, but now want to be mad at Sweeney for not investing 4 years into a guy whose clearly shown himself to be a legit 3rd line winger when the team is already full of 3rd/4th line guys?

It never made sense to bring in a guy like Ferland. Johansson made sense at that 2 year term, but even that's mostly just because we already got to see how effective he could be there. They're finally getting to the point where they're ready to start working in skilled younger guys and those 3rd line spots are exactly where that should be done...tying up 4 years at triple the ELC price of the guys who will be there would have been a bad call.

That's kind of what I've been wondering...if you are going to operate your fourth line the way they have, with cheap vets primarily, then where do you try the kids out? They have to play somewhere, sometime. So it's 2RW or 3RW and 3LW, and one of those goes to Heinen. So two slots. If none of the kids steps up, you trade at the deadline again. If you can't get ANY of the kids to be able to play third line minutes somewhat effectively, then there are much bigger problems with the prospect pool. But while many are a year or two away (Lauko, probably Studnicka, perpetually a year away Senyshyn, etc), you can certainly drag Kuhlman/Frederic/Cehlarik (not really a kid but...) and now Ritchie there for the first half, along with Backes if he's playing. It's not as if doing this will put the playoffs at risk.

Signing Ferland or Johansson closes one of those doors, so you'd only have a spot for one kid for the next 2+ years, unless you don't resign Coyle.

Reactions: Chestus

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This board is funny sometimes. Lots here have been complaining for years that they can't find Krejci a wing and keep trying kids and 3rd/4th line caliber guys up there, but now want to be mad at Sweeney for not investing 4 years into a guy whose clearly shown himself to be a legit 3rd line winger when the team is already full of 3rd/4th line guys?

It never made sense to bring in a guy like Ferland. Johansson made sense at that 2 year term, but even that's mostly just because we already got to see how effective he could be there. They're finally getting to the point where they're ready to start working in skilled younger guys and those 3rd line spots are exactly where that should be done...tying up 4 years at triple the ELC price of the guys who will be there would have been a bad call.
Before I respond to this I'm curious...who do you see filling that top 6 wing spot that this team still needs to fill? Heinen? If not Heinen, then where do you see him playing?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I probably would have done that deal for Ferland but I can see why some wouldn’t and I’m alright with the Bruins not making that move. Don’t really like that 4th year

But who knows, maybe Sweeney matched that offer and he told the B’s to pound sand

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Before I respond to this I'm curious...who do you see filling that top 6 wing spot that this team still needs to fill? Heinen? If not Heinen, then where do you see him playing?
Personally, I think they're going to try moving Coyle up into that RW spot alongside Krejci and giving Frederic a shot at 3C, flanking him with Heinen and Kuhlman. Both can help cover the defensive deficiences of a younger kid playing 3C, but all 3 can play a solid cycle/forechecking game to set up offense. IMO they'll do what they did for a lot of last year prior to the TDL and roll 3rd/4th lines almost equally.

I'm not a huge fan of throwing younger kids onto an established line (like next to Bergeron/Marchand or Krejci/Debrusk) unless they're undoubtedly ready for the NHL (like Reilly Smith a few years back). That's why I think those 3rd line spots are valuable to a team like Boston looking to introduce some talented but possibly undeveloped guys over the next few seasons.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Personally, I think they're going to try moving Coyle up into that RW spot alongside Krejci and giving Frederic a shot at 3C, flanking him with Heinen and Kuhlman. Both can help cover the defensive deficiences of a younger kid playing 3C, but all 3 can play a solid cycle/forechecking game to set up offense. IMO they'll do what they did for a lot of last year prior to the TDL and roll 3rd/4th lines almost equally.

I'm not a huge fan of throwing younger kids onto an established line (like next to Bergeron/Marchand or Krejci/Debrusk) unless they're undoubtedly ready for the NHL (like Reilly Smith a few years back). That's why I think those 3rd line spots are valuable to a team like Boston looking to introduce some talented but possibly undeveloped guys over the next few seasons.

I will lose my mind if they give frederic the 3rd line center job. He was abysmal last year when he came up. We will be right back in the situation we were in up until the trade deadline last year with our 3rd line.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
700k per year and 2 years longer than Heinen. He and Heinen have the exact same amount of points over the last two seasons. Ferland at Heinens age had 18 points in 71 games.

But heinen's deal stinks and Sweeney is garbage for not signing Ferland to this deal.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’d rather have studnicka called up to play RW for a year than have frederic play 3rd line center.

Marchand-bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-kuhlman
Heinen-coyle-studnicka
Nordstrom-kuraly-wagner
Ritchie

Give me that.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I will lose my mind if they give frederic the 3rd line center job. He was abysmal last year when he came up. We will be right back in the situation we were in up until the trade deadline last year with our 3rd line.

So you're giving up on him because of his first 15 games at age 20.

What if he was 21 years old and had one point in his first 20 games? Would you give up on him as well?

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
I'm hoping Studnicka is ready for the job right out of the gate, but I'm guessing they'll want to give him a year down in Providence first. At some point you have to start figuring out what you have with these kids...Frederic wasn't spectacular when he was up last year, but he held his own and now he's got like 6 months (plus training camp) more experience than he had last year. He paid his one year due in Providence like DeBrusk, so I think they'll at least give him the shot at the job.

Reactions: bbfan419

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
700k per year and 2 years longer than Heinen. He and Heinen have the exact same amount of points over the last two seasons. Ferland at Heinens age had 18 points in 71 games.

But heinen's deal stinks and Sweeney is garbage for not signing Ferland to this deal.
IMO both deals are good and I wish we'd signed both of them.

I'm looking forward to people telling me how Ferland is nothing but a 3rd line grinder with not enough skill for the top 6 while Heinen is a sure thing to put up more points as long as he gets more minutes (nevermind that Ferland has more 5v5 points per 60 over the last 2 years than Heinen).

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

What if he was 21 years old and had one point in his first 20 games? Would you give up on him as well?
Where did he say he was "giving up" on Frederic? I didn't read that anywhere.

If Frederic earns that spot with his play, good on him. That's ideal.

But Rico wrote that we shouldnt "give" him that spot. And he's right. We shouldn't. Not after how far behind the NHL game he looked during his opportunity last season.

That is nothing like "giving up" on him.

Reactions: UncleRico

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Never said I was giving up on him completely but he definitely needs a lot more time at the AHL level before he can’t be our 3rd line center. Zero points in 15 games and he looked slow on his skates.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Thread 1: “how do we get rid of David Backes?”
Thread 2: “Heinen only gives you 40 points. Overpaid!”
Thread 3: “why didn’t we give Ferland 4 years.”

Summer is a clown show
mkNspY.gif

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Where did he say he was "giving up" on Frederic? I didn't read that anywhere.

If Frederic earns that spot with his play, good on him. That's ideal.

But Rico wrote that we shouldnt "give" him that spot. And he's right. We shouldn't. Not after how far behind the NHL game he looked during his opportunity last season.

That is nothing like "giving up" on him.

I agree, they shouldn't just hand it to him. Obviously he should earn it.

I'm just saying, we've seen guys (marchand) do nothing in there first stints and turn into NHLer's the next season. If he earns a crack at the third line center spot out of camp I'm not going to lose my mind because of last season.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

First one was an RFA so his deal should be less, second if Heinen goes out and provides Ferlands physical game, which includes hitting, and playing with something resembling intensity, maybe falls into a scrum by stepping on a stick, stands up for a teammate, intimidates a defenseman with a bone jarring hit, makes himself visible and not "quietly effective" then GM of the year wont look as ineffective and this deal won't be as bad as it is now.

Chances of this happening are zero. Heinen will go out, play his nice, quiet, inoffensive, defensive game, put up 10-12 goals and 20 or so assists for 30-35 points and on most night most fans won't notice him. The Heinen Army will come on and say how great he was winning a puck battle on the boards and his one take away and is well worth his money, when he gets an assist we will hear what a great deal it is, if he has a goal and an assist in the same game they will tell us how he is underpaid.

Meanwhile Ferland in Vancouver will score 18-20 goals with comparable assists, lead his team in hits, stand up for teammates, drop his gloves, lay out some bone jarring hits and probably be made an assistant captain. None of this will matter to the Heinen Army who do not value those assets as much as Heinen's quietly effective game and will say he has the potential to score 60-70 points and should be on the top line with two of the best players in the league because he played there for a few games last year.

I meanwhile will sacrifice 28 years of sobriety reading about the great Heinen is now the most underrated player in the league and how he is quietly tough and vital to team success.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
IMO both deals are good and I wish we'd signed both of them.

I'm looking forward to people telling me how Ferland is nothing but a 3rd line grinder with not enough skill for the top 6 while Heinen is a sure thing to put up more points as long as he gets more minutes (nevermind that Ferland has more 5v5 points per 60 over the last 2 years than Heinen).

I don't have Heinen in my top 6, Although he has shown he can play up there if he needs to. I would prefer him on the third line. I don't want Ferland there either, I don't think he is a top 6 player.

Reactions: bbfan419

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
First one was an RFA so his deal should be less, second if Heinen goes out and provides Ferlands physical game, which includes hitting, and playing with something resembling intensity, maybe falls into a scrum by stepping on a stick, stands up for a teammate, intimidates a defenseman with a bone jarring hit, makes himself visible and not "quietly effective" then GM of the year wont look as ineffective and this deal won't be as bad as it is now.

Chances of this happening are zero. Heinen will go out, play his nice, quiet, inoffensive, defensive game, put up 10-12 goals and 20 or so assists for 30-35 points and on most night most fans won't notice him. The Heinen Army will come on and say how great he was winning a puck battle on the boards and his one take away and is well worth his money, when he gets an assist we will hear what a great deal it is, if he has a goal and an assist in the same game they will tell us how he is underpaid.

Meanwhile Ferland in Vancouver will score 18-20 goals with comparable assists, lead his team in hits, stand up for teammates, drop his gloves, lay out some bone jarring hits and probably be made an assistant captain. None of this will matter to the Heinen Army who do not value those assets as much as Heinen's quietly effective game and will say he has the potential to score 60-70 points and should be on the top line with two of the best players in the league because he played there for a few games last year.

I meanwhile will sacrifice 28 years of sobriety reading about the great Heinen is the most underrated player in the league and how he is quietly tough and vital to team success.

Idk man. Howd it work out the last time we signed a injury prone physical player coming off a career year at age 26.

I don't want to ruin the surprise, but we bought him out within two years and he's still counting against our cap to play in the Rangers system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->