GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Can someone clarify how the bruins (if they do) benefit by sending Backes to Providence in September/October? I.e salary cap

That would be the last resort, even though buying him out is useless at this point.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Determining cap space is not as simple as clicking on CapFriendly and looking at the bottom line. They've already changed it from $7.4 million yesterday to $8.1 million today. Like I said, the number is closer to $9 million then $7.4 million.

First thing you have to look at is the number of players on the cap after McAvoy/Carlo are signed. Yesterday CapFriendly had 25, today 24 (and thus the difference).

Once the pair is signed, another of those contracts has to come off, be it by sending them to Providence, traded, bought out, whatever the case may be.

I keep seeing $7.4 million all over this board. It's not true. Fact is the team is better off then that cap wise.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Definitely seeing Matt Beleskey flashbacks with this Ferland signing. Not saying I wouldn't give him that same contract to play in Boston, but I can see why teams were hesitant.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Thats less than Beleskeys AAV, no? :naughty::sarcasm::laugh:

Good signing honestly. I was under the impression he would get a lot more AAV.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

aaaaand there it is.

I'd have happily given him that deal.

This offseason has been absolute dog**** so far

It's so easy to say that in a bubble he should have signed him at that price. Fact is maybe he wants to stay in Canada? Maybe he wants to be on the West Coast? Maybe he hates Marchand? Tons of factors outside of cap space to consider. We as fans have no idea what actually goes on behind the scenes.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

aaaaand there it is.

I'd have happily given him that deal.

This offseason has been absolute dog**** so far

I have to agree with you, those are very reasonable numbers and he would have given our forward group a lot more badly needed sandpaper without sacrificing any speed. Disappointing off season so far with the Johannson and Ferland deals right there for the taking for Sweeney.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
And Sweeney is back to a D-, GM of the year my ***

Can't wait to watch Bjork take what should be Ferlands spot and get bounced around every night until he has another season ending injury. Maybe we can add Henrik Borgstrom or Dominick Kahun in Ferlands place. ******* pathetic

Reactions: bbfan419

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I'm fine with not paying ferland for 4 years. He's had two 40 point seasons, and then it's 25 points or less. Injured and misses games every season. will be 31 when the contract ends. And he doesn't perform in the playoffs.

member 96824

Thats less than Beleskeys AAV, no? :naughty::sarcasm::laugh:

Good signing honestly. I was under the impression he would get a lot more AAV.

Nah pass..They’ll hate that deal sooner than later. I don’t think it’ll be buyout worthy, but it’ll be a “jeez we’re paying a lot for the little he brings”

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
This board is funny sometimes. Lots here have been complaining for years that they can't find Krejci a wing and keep trying kids and 3rd/4th line caliber guys up there, but now want to be mad at Sweeney for not investing 4 years into a guy whose clearly shown himself to be a legit 3rd line winger when the team is already full of 3rd/4th line guys?

It never made sense to bring in a guy like Ferland. Johansson made sense at that 2 year term, but even that's mostly just because we already got to see how effective he could be there. They're finally getting to the point where they're ready to start working in skilled younger guys and those 3rd line spots are exactly where that should be done...tying up 4 years at triple the ELC price of the guys who will be there would have been a bad call.

Reactions: WestCoastBruinsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad